113th Milan - Sanremo - 293 km ***Spoilers***

1234568»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    orraloon said:

TP can strike a pose on the finish line though.

not really. crapsuperman thing with one hand one 'bars. bitshit tbh.

mx'ers have been doing that 60 feet up for years. bmx'ers do that for breakfast.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

i'd say mediocre more than disappointment tbh.

Mediocre yeah:
    From PCS:

Top results
    De Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne ('21)
    2nd Amstel Gold Race ('21)
    6th World Championships - Road Race ('21)
    5th Strade Bianche ('21)
    6th La Flèche Wallonne ('21)
    3rd Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne ('21)

GC Tour Alsace ('19)

GC Giro Ciclistico d'Italia ('20)
    4th stage La Vuelta ciclista a España ('21)
    15th Milano-Sanremo ('21)

Paris-Roubaix Espoirs ('19)
    42nd World Championships - Road Race ('20)

So not world-beating by any stretch but having split his priorities (and is still doing so) across MTB, CX and road it’s pretty good. He’d be better obviously if he was less bland and less British and, final nail, didn’t ride for Sky/INEOS.
    not world beating by any stretch

and thete we have it.

grazie, thankyou, auf wiedersen.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited March 2022
    Would you like him better if he rode in a Seacroft Wheelers jersey and had Ultegra and Hunt wheels on his bike.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

Would you like him better if he rode in a Seacroft Wheelers jersey and had Ultegra and Hunt wheels on his bike.

no, not really. he'd still be bland and not very good.
  • webboo
    But he’d be following in your great cycling style.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

Lost out to quite possibly the current absolute overall top rider in a 218km/5hrs+ classic by a hairsbreadth. Obvs not a real hitter then.
    But he’s bland.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    It's on like donkey kong!!

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro-bike/matej-mohoric-dropper-post/

(I predict this will have very little to no impact)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MattFalle
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

Lost out to quite possibly the current absolute overall top rider in a 218km/5hrs+ classic by a hairsbreadth. Obvs not a real hitter then.
    But he’s bland.
    second place. first loser.

no one remembers second place.

perhaps its your kinda style, but i don't go racing to come second. its good that you're comfortable with losing though.

#gobigorgohome
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,174
    MattFalle said:

andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

i'd say mediocre more than disappointment tbh.

Mediocre yeah:
    From PCS:

Top results
    De Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne ('21)
    2nd Amstel Gold Race ('21)
    6th World Championships - Road Race ('21)
    5th Strade Bianche ('21)
    6th La Flèche Wallonne ('21)
    3rd Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne ('21)

GC Tour Alsace ('19)

GC Giro Ciclistico d'Italia ('20)
    4th stage La Vuelta ciclista a España ('21)
    15th Milano-Sanremo ('21)

Paris-Roubaix Espoirs ('19)
    42nd World Championships - Road Race ('20)

So not world-beating by any stretch but having split his priorities (and is still doing so) across MTB, CX and road it’s pretty good. He’d be better obviously if he was less bland and less British and, final nail, didn’t ride for Sky/INEOS.
    grazie, thankyou, auf wiedersen.
    If only.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,247
    MattFalle said:

perhaps its your kinda style, but i don't go racing to come second. its good that you're comfortable with losing though.

#gobigorgohome

But even if you win there's ten of thousands a racing at a higher level. Is it really a win?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    MattFalle said:

andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

But he’s bland.

#gobigorgohome
    Raymond Poulidor begs to differ
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

But he’s bland.

#gobigorgohome
    Raymond Poulidor begs to differ
    bet he'd prefer to have come first.
  • MattFalle
    RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

#gobigorgohome

But even if you win there's ten of thousands a racing at a higher level. Is it really a win?
    first across the line in whatever ypu are doing is.
  • webboo
    MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

#gobigorgohome

first across the line in whatever ypu are doing is.
    Your partner might not agree when you are having sex.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472
    edited March 2022
    @webboo always with these theoretical, unlikely scenarios and straw man arguments... 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited March 2022
    Turns out that dropper posts have been UCI legal (in road racing) since 2014.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited March 2022
    So now we know.
    Pidcock in need of a stopcock, as it's revealed he's been having repeated Dumoulin attacks.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/tom-pidcocks-stomach-problems-could-impact-his-classics-season
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,110
    edited March 2022

So now we know.
    Pidcock in need of a stopcock, as it's revealed he's been having repeated Dumoulin attacks.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/tom-pidcocks-stomach-problems-could-impact-his-classics-season

Can we come up with a nickname after Tom Dupoolin?
    Tom Shitcock maybe?

One thing you don't is a touch of runs just as the race gets exciting. Maybe it is nerves?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,156
    davidof said:

So now we know.

Tom Shitcock maybe?

One thing you don't is a touch of runs just as the race gets exciting. Maybe it is nerves?
    My immediate thought was longer races, more gels.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

davidof said:

So now we know.

Tom Shitcock maybe?

My immediate thought was longer races, more gels.
    nah - he would have done long races and training sessions before and they would have changed gels if they did this for him.

they're all on full dietary plans designed to minimise anything - they don't pay millions a year for someone plus training plus travel plus kit etc etc etc then chuck 'em any old trash out of a car window.

As per Davidof and my post above.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472
    Could simply be a run of the mill gastrointestinal virus. Mask mandates have certainly made the regular infections less frequent, but people do still get sick from time to time. Pro peloton is probably quite contagious anyway.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    m.r.m. said:

Could simply be a run of the mill gastrointestinal virus. Mask mandates have certainly made the regular infections less frequent, but people do still get sick from time to time. Pro peloton is probably quite contagious anyway.

Could just about be, but since he’s reportedly had this problem since the end of February, beginning of March, one has to wonder about weight loss and physical deterioration.
    Under the circumstances I am surprised Ineos felt he was fit to race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • MattFalle

m.r.m. said:

Could just about be, but since he’s reportedly had this problem since the end of February, beginning of March, one has to wonder about weight loss and physical deterioration.
    and they're predicting its going to affect him going forward as well, so as Davidoff above.

Part of racing him was probably he is contracted to race certain races and if he declares himself fit the team will get financially penalised for pulling him out so it was probably worth chucking him in knowing that he wouldn't have won if he was fit anyway and saving the cash.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,517
    MattFalle said:

m.r.m. said:

and they're predicting its going to affect him going forward as well, so as Davidoff above.

Part of racing him was probably he is contracted to race certain races and if he declares himself fit the team will get financially penalised for pulling him out so it was probably worth chucking him in knowing that he wouldn't have won if he was fit anyway and saving the cash.
    Even by your standards, this is so ignorant and baseless, it is risible.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    MattFalle said:

Sounding like an expert on pro racing here “… probably he is contracted to race certain races… so it was probably worth chucking him in knowing that he wouldn't have won if he was fit anyway and saving the cash”
    That’s “probably” why sometimes a rider gets included in a team's lineup for a race at the last minute - they’ve “probably” forgotten that he was supposed to be racing that race and didn’t want to risk getting a fine. Doesn’t explain why a number of teams, this year even, started races with less than the maximum number of permissible riders (2 teams started with 6 at MSR, Team Bike Exchange at Omloop with 5 riders etc). Maybe they’ve more money to burn than INEOS.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,900
    Pidcock is going to win loads of races. Only a fool would think not ..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,934
    edited March 2022
    "Pidcock has had blood tests performed on him as Ineos seek to get to the bottom of what is causing his lack of fitness.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633
    Seems a shame that after a really good MSR edition we've been sidetracked into discussing whether or not a 22yr old rider is shit or not just because a troll got on his hobby horse.

Oh well.

Good race, with some interesting implications for the cobbles coming up. Mads P in fine form, didn't think he'd get over the Poggio that well, if we get some hard wet and cold conditions he'll be a force to be reckoned with. SKA also looked good, the Poggio attack he made had some real depth to it. MvdP quite frightening for a guy in his first race of the season
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format