113th Milan - Sanremo - 293 km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Is this not a golden era? MVDP da man. WVA da man. Bernal da man. Evenapoel da man. Pidcock da man (not today). Roglič da man…
    How crazy is it that despite those names, it’s Pogacar who’s referred to as the “generational talent”….?

Pidcock ain't da man. far far far frpm it.

we've bickered about this before and i'm being proved right everytime he starts a race.

he's about the man as much as I'm Joanna blimmin' Lumley.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    That descent was better than Kelly's .... The variance in descending was way bigger in 92 than now ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863

Yes I lost with WVA on PTP, but won handsomely with Mohoric on Betfair…💪🏽

Fffffing aye
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Be interesting to see if Mohoric can do that again - adds a bit of anticipation as we've seen a few riders try it in the last few decades but nobody has really made it work - that I can recall anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited March 2022
    Called it years ago (here I think) that he is the best descender in the world. However, he is still someone who doesn't get closed down immediately like happens with Pogacar, MvdP, WVA etc. Will always get the occasional win (even disregarding his skill) based off just that (much Like Mads Pedersen).

Was a great finale. Lots of riders riding to their strengths. Not just Pogacar or Mohoric, but really perfect Kragh Andersen counter that looked like it could come off for just a tiny bit.
    MvdP always comes to take over, never to take part. Incredible.
    Poor WVA getting the Sagan treatment. Did quite a bit of work and is always expected to close down everything.

9/10. Can't really expect much more from MSR.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,814
    m.r.m. said:

Called it years ago (here I think) that he is the best descender in the world. However, he is still someone who doesn't get closed down immediately like happens with Pogacar, MvdP, WVA etc. Will always get the occasional win (even disregarding his skill) based off just that (much Like Mads Pedersen).

Was a great finale. Lots of riders riding to their strengths. Not just Pogacar or Mohoric, but really perfect Kragh Andersen counter that looked like it could come off for just a tiny bit.
    MvdP always comes to take over, never to take part. Incredible.
    Poor WVA getting the Sagan treatment. Did quite a bit of work and is always expected to close down everything.

9/10. Can't really expect much from MSR.

FTFY
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,814
    From the helicopter shot, I watched Mohoric push to move to the front, just as they were reaching the crest of the Poggio and thought at the time that it was game over.

The big three are always going to look to mark each other out and the Poggio just isn't hard enough for those boys.

I can see similar results to yesterday happening for the foreseeable future.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    edited March 2022
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

Is this not a golden era? MVDP da man. WVA da man. Bernal da man. Evenapoel da man. Pidcock da man (not today). Roglič da man…
    How crazy is it that despite those names, it’s Pogacar who’s referred to as the “generational talent”….?

we've bickered about this before and i'm being proved right everytime he starts a race.

Olympic champion and 4 time World champion. I wish I was that cr@p. ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730

From the helicopter shot, I watched Mohoric push to move to the front, just as they were reaching the crest of the Poggio and thought at the time that it was game over.

The big three are always going to look to mark each other out and the Poggio just isn't hard enough for those boys.

I can see similar results to yesterday happening for the foreseeable future.

Would have been different with JA. His attacks seem to hurt that bit more
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

well, we're seeing what he's like on the road at the mo' so....

and even he said half of that didn't count because no one else was there - his words, not mine.

it ain't all about jingoism, fam.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Hasn't every era got a group of top riders though - almost by definition as there are pretty much the same big races and the riders that win them are seen as top riders.

So far Pidcock hasn't won enough to be considered one of the stars of this generation - but he's 22 so he may change that over the next 10 years or so. In fact a lot of those touted as being big names currently still don't have the palmares to back it up yet. Cross, track, MTB wins are icing on the cake but you need to win big on the road to be part of the discussion on a road cycling forum.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,581
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

and even he said half of that didn't count because no one else was there - his words, not mine.

3 podiums in Classics in his first full season on the World Tour and before his 22nd birthday would suggest he's not too bad on the road. This season is only just starting.
  • webboo
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

My mistake. It’s 6 world titles.
  • MattFalle
    against children. and now against adults in races his team have handpicked to showcase him with a whole team around him? Dropped, all the time, everywhere.

Pog, WvA, MvdP, etc - they're not exactly scared of him. tbh, you look at his body language when he's around them and he's in awe of them, gazing at them, almost like he knows in the back of his head he doesn't stand a chance against them so may as well not bother. So he doesn't.

its all v weird.

and the only people raving about him? Brits. All weirdly jingoistic. A bit, well, you know. l
  • webboo
    My recollection is that he beat both Vans at last years world champs. He won the the medal that one of the Vans had been wanting to win for the last 4 years.
    Anyone it’s not a case of us Brits loving him, it’s case you dislike him because he’s a Brit.
    If he was called Tommaso Pidgelletto you’d think the sun shone out of his a*se. :D
  • MattFalle
    If I remember rightly last year MvdP won shedliads of real races including a stage of his forst T de F and yellow for 6 days, WvA didn't do too bad and Pidcock got dropped a lot.

Nah - I don't don't like him, he seems quite boring tbh and not someone you'd want to hang out with.

I think he's alright but am just a realist and don't wrap people up in jingoistic mastubatory bunting, British scavemging for a new hero since those Beligian and Kenyan blokes have gone.

Pidcock. He's good at a certain level but he's reached his level and is now being handed his backside on a plate.

well, actually he's not because he's really far behind everyone else and by the time he's finished everyone else gas showered, eaten, and popped smoke, but you know what i mean.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Current Olympic MTB Champion, and CX World Champion.......Hmmm imagine being that cr@p. He didn't even ride the Tour, so I don't know how he got dropped a lot.

He hangs out and rides with the Downhill & MX/Enduro crowd when in Andorra.....I doubt they've ever been described as boring.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,581
    It's just classic MF trolling with his favourite jingoism strawman thrown in for good measure. Must be a lot of Slovenian nationals on here if we're all a bunch of flag waving patriots.
  • MattFalle
    andyrac said:

Current Olympic MTB Champion, and CX World Champion.......Hmmm imagine being that cr@p. He didn't even ride the Tour, so I don't know how he got dropped a lot.

He hangs out and rides with the Downhill & MX/Enduro crowd when in Andorra.....I doubt they've ever been described as boring.

he said that the cx one didn't really count for anything as no one else was there. his words not mine.

olympic mtb champion after the only other dude who could have won it crashed put on lap 1

not exactly beating the best tbh.

not sure about the Andorran crowd - i don't hang out with them to jydge how fun they are. Do you?

• MattFalle
    Pross said:

It's just classic MF trolling with his favourite jingoism strawman thrown in for good measure. Must be a lot of Slovenian nationals on here if we're all a bunch of flag waving patriots.

oh here we go - "trolling" because someone knows at least three other people are far better than someone.

gents - he's alright. fine. a bit bland, tbh. just not as good as the others.
  • MattFalle
    i'd say mediocre more than disappointment tbh.

• DeVlaeminck
    At 22 he could still go on and be one of the riders of his generation - if his future is the classics though you need 5+ monuments/road worlds to be in that conversation.
  • MattFalle

At 22 he could still go on and be one of the riders of his generation - if his future is the classics though you need 5+ monuments/road worlds to be in that conversation.

he could

but most probably won't be.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited March 2022

I'd say to be considered a great rider you need a Tour or a World RR on your palmares. There are a few exceptions - Kelly, Cancellara and your namesake come to mind. They have 9,7 and 11 monuments respectively.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited March 2022
    Both riders and eras should be proclaimed great or golden at their end when their wins can be counted, not at the beginning when they are mostly anticipated
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    MattFalle said:

i'd say mediocre more than disappointment tbh.

Mediocre yeah:
    From PCS:

Top results
    De Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne ('21)
    2nd Amstel Gold Race ('21)
    6th World Championships - Road Race ('21)
    5th Strade Bianche ('21)
    6th La Flèche Wallonne ('21)
    3rd Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne ('21)

GC Tour Alsace ('19)

GC Giro Ciclistico d'Italia ('20)
    4th stage La Vuelta ciclista a España ('21)
    15th Milano-Sanremo ('21)

Paris-Roubaix Espoirs ('19)
    42nd World Championships - Road Race ('20)

So not world-beating by any stretch but having split his priorities (and is still doing so) across MTB, CX and road it’s pretty good. He’d be better obviously if he was less bland and less British and, final nail, didn’t ride for Sky/INEOS.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    It's not that Pidcock isn't a cracking talent, but to call him a generational talent based on cross victories is silly. No one says that about Stybar, yet he won 3 cross worlds and has had a very passable road career. He might be in the conversation with Alaphalippe, Pogacar, Roglic, WvA and MvdP eventually but he and Remco are just not in the same league at the moment.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,691
    TP can strike a pose on the finish line though.