Gazprom suspended

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,481
    Just as a caveat, I wouldn't have a sports person's nationality shown next to them or play national anthems in sports where they aren't representing their country anyway. It seems stupid playing God Save The Queen when Hamilton wins an F1 race as he isn't driving for the UK.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited May 2022
    no one is talking about banning people who's countries have "been" in a aar.

this is the here and now with Russins raping women, bayonetting children and torturing and executing OAPs in front of their fmilies. Bombing maternity hospitals.

.fuck'em.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2022
    They did it during the Apartheid era, they are totalling correct in doing it now

Russia?fukk'em.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,596
    edited May 2022
    I’d be more ok with teams owned by dodgy owners being shut out if they were more consistent.

Some better than none, mind.
  • MattFalle

I’d be more ok with teams owned by dodgy owners being shut out if they were more consistent.

why?
  • rick_chasey
    MattFalle said:

why?
    I like the idea that people or organisations who do or are a part of things we can universally say are bad being shut out of nice things.

• MattFalle
    edited May 2022
    good. your/our post above wasn't too clear on that but it is now.
  • MattFalle
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Clearing the daft draft.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Stance on Sivakov, MF?
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2022

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

As of March this year he's stopped riding for Russia and has been outspoken against the war and Russia's aggression, so I think he's fine. He's allowed nice things like riding in big international bike races, nor does he ride for a company which is owned entirely by the Russian state and is part of the geopolitical apparatus that the Kremlin uses to put pressure on other nations.
  • MattFalle
    No. In with the rest of them. He's Russian

• MattFalle

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

As of March this year he's stopped riding for Russia and has been outspoken against the war and Russia's aggression, so I think he's fine. He's allowed nice things like riding in big international bike races, nor does he ride for a company which is owned entirely by the Russian state and is part of the geopolitical apparatus that the Kremlin uses to put pressure on other nations.
    no. wrong. you can't pixk and choose Rick, it doesn't work like that.

The Russians aren't picking and choosing when they are executing, toturing and raping people.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2022
    MattFalle said:

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

The Russians aren't picking and choosing when they are executing, toturing and raping people.
    He can, as he’s a cyclist and not a soldier and he has chosen.

He’s in the process of changing his nationality to French and the UCI granted that change.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

He’s in the process of changing his nationality to French and the UCI granted that change.
    no.

he's Russian.

Banned.

End of.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

no.

he's Russian.

Banned.

End of.
    You really are a tit.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    I think we need to be clear about why Russian teams /athletes are suspended. It's not intended as a punishment of them, it's to prevent them being used as nationalistic PR. It also communicates to the Russian public that they are now international pariahs.

I don't see an issue with a rider who is outspoken against the war and is changing their registration and nationality continuing to ride.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • phreak

I think we need to be clear about why Russian teams /athletes are suspended. It's not intended as a punishment of them, it's to prevent them being used as nationalistic PR. It also communicates to the Russian public that they are now international pariahs.

I don't see an issue with a rider who is outspoken against the war and is changing their registration and nationality continuing to ride.

And yet Tony Greig and Alan Lamb both captained England. I'm not sure if they had to publicly denounce the apartheid regime before they were allowed to do so, even though doing so would almost certainly have carried less personal cost and risk to both themselves and any family they may have had in South Africa.
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2022
    phreak said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

no.

he's Russian.

Banned.

End of.
    You really are a censored .
    and you're very eloquent. you want to grow a spine fella.

why? because I have morals?

he's Russian. Banned. End of.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

no.

he's Russian

End of

because he took the rouble for so many years and was proud to represent Russia, the minute he is going to get banned because of his country he decides to change nationality.

if he felt that strongly about wanting to be French he would have done this years ago.

its a weak transparent move to try and get around the rules. something a Tory would do.

if anything he's shown a massive lack of morals and weakness to just drop his country for another.

bet you a bannana to a pigeon that once Russian athletes are allowed to compete again he'll jump back.

Russian.

banned.

end of.
  • phreak
    MattFalle said:

phreak said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

no.

he's Russian.

Banned.

End of.

Why don't you put yourself in a Russians shoes and imagine what would happen if they stood up and criticised Putin. My in laws are Czech and did that during the Prague Spring. They were barred from going to university, having any kind of profession, traveling anywhere, and so on, as were their children. That's a drop in the ocean compared to someone as high profile as a professional athlete. So maybe "you" grow a spine and think before you act all macho.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2022
    MattFalle said:

Not getting your uni degree with a wikipedia reference.

https://www.skysports.com/more-sports/cycling/news/29876/12557180/pavel-sivakov-granted-change-of-nationality-from-russian-to-french-by-cyclings-uci

Cycling's governing body (UCI) has granted INEOS Grenadiers rider Pavel Sivakov a change of nationality from Russian to French, his team announced on Friday.

Sivakov was born in Italy to Russian parents, who were also cyclists, and moved to France as a young child.

Both cycling federations have been notified and he can now race under the French flag at national, world championship and Olympic events, the Grenadiers said.

"I was born in Italy and moved to France when I was one year old. France is where I grew up and was educated and where I fell in love with riding my bike, which led me to racing. It feels like my home," Sivakov said in a statement.

"I've wanted to become a French national for some time and had made the request to the UCI, but given what is happening in Ukraine at the moment, I wanted to fast-track this.
  • MattFalle
    if anything, why not change his nationality to Italian?
    phreak said:

MattFalle said:

phreak said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Stance on Sivakov, MF?

no.

he's Russian.

Banned.

End of.

Why don't you put yourself in a Russians shoes and imagine what would happen if they stood up and criticised Putin. My in laws are Czech and did that during the Prague Spring. They were barred from going to university, having any kind of profession, traveling anywhere, and so on, as were their children. That's a drop in the ocean compared to someone as high profile as a professional athlete. So maybe "you" grow a spine and think before you act all macho.
    jog on fella. there is no machismo involved at all in this discussion.

your argument is completely moot - as i said, if he felt so much about Putin he would have changed his nationality years ago. The wiki entry above says that he was born in Italy, so why didn't he change his nationality to Italian either years ago or now? Because being Russian suited him perfectly and now it doesn't so he's scrabbling around and for some reason chose French.

he's russian. he represented russia, he took the rouble - you take the highs with the lows.

what next - Abramovich et al changing their nationalities?

he's russian. he's banned. end of.
    .and if you keep on supporting him you're supporting weak people who don't back up their words with actions and, essentially, letting down your in laws who stood up for what they believed in.

russian
    banned
    end of
  • MattFalle
    edited May 2022

MattFalle said:

Not getting your uni degree with a wikipedia reference.

https://www.skysports.com/more-sports/cycling/news/29876/12557180/pavel-sivakov-granted-change-of-nationality-from-russian-to-french-by-cyclings-uci

Cycling's governing body (UCI) has granted INEOS Grenadiers rider Pavel Sivakov a change of nationality from Russian to French, his team announced on Friday.

Sivakov was born in Italy to Russian parents, who were also cyclists, and moved to France as a young child.

Both cycling federations have been notified and he can now race under the French flag at national, world championship and Olympic events, the Grenadiers said.

"I was born in Italy and moved to France when I was one year old. France is where I grew up and was educated and where I fell in love with riding my bike, which led me to racing. It feels like my home," Sivakov said in a statement.

"I've wanted to become a French national for some time and had made the request to the UCI, but given what is happening in Ukraine at the moment, I wanted to fast-track this.
    "for some time" - from March '22. now thats a coincedence.

"I wanted to fast track this"
    bet ya did, fella, bet ya did.

come on people, this is bleedin'obvious

Russian
    banned
    end of
  • MattFalle
    anyway, hold on - the UCI have accepted a change in nationality, so thats on his racing licence only.

so he's still a Russian passport holder and legal nationality but he's racing under French nationality in the UCIs eyes?

Unless the UCI can change legal nationalities then he's still russian.

fuckmylife.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    MattFalle said:

Russian
    banned
    end of

All except for the minor detail of him not being banned.
    Sorry to say but the UCI has more power over this matter than the MFs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    And who knows what passport(s) he holds.
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Russian
    banned
    end of

All except for the minor detail of him not being banned.
    Sorry to say but the UCI has more power over this matter than the MFs.
    and we all know the UCIs moral fibre - up there with UEFA I believe.
  • MattFalle

And who knows what passport(s) he holds.

Does it/should it matter?
    Russian citizen, Russian passport holder, represented Russia, so the MFs would hazard a guess at pretty Russian.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2022
    I guess it makes sense that the military guy on the forum persecutes indiscriminately on a "papers please" basis. Not known for nuance.