Cobbled Classics 2022 *** Spoilers***

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    I can't work out if WVA is avoiding everyone else or everyone else is avoiding WVA, adds to the interest when they finally all come together for the bigger races though.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    It's bound to be coincidence or the latter. Doubt WVa in this form is afraid of anyone. MvdP would be racing the same stuff, but is wisely taking a more judicious approach to not overstress his back immediately.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Pross said:

I can't work out if WVA is avoiding everyone else or everyone else is avoiding WVA, adds to the interest when they finally all come together for the bigger races though.

After a winter of the top horses in racing avoiding each other, we now get it happening in cycling......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Pross said:

Interesting, have the Colombians etc. generally got residency then or is it just that they don't ride in large chunks of the season any way? You'd think there'd be a way around it for people who mainly have to ply their trade within the EU.

Any South American rider working for Movistar will have zero issues getting a residence permit in Spain. Then races in the EU26 that might count against their ... except they're already in Schengen working for an EU company with a valid permit. I would have thought other riders working for other EU-based teams would have no issues really.

What happens with 3rd national spouses is a per-state issue. I ignore how tough Belgium is.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Well that didn’t take long. MvDP attacks with 90kms to go.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Well that didn’t take long. MvDP attacks with 90kms to go.

Couldn’t even wait till I got home on my day off
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He's gets bored easily doesn't he? He must have been a nightmare for his teachers at school
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    GvA accelerates on the hill at 63km to go in the peloton, and Pog goes over the top.

WvA group with Pidcock, Kung and Campanaerts, and a few others (will update) 15 seconds ahead
  • rick_chasey
    Pog now chasing solo.

Normally it would be potato hunting but this is Pog
  • rick_chasey
    Pog not getting any closer.

I managed to beat Sporza to chasse patat chat so I I’ll take that as a birthday win.

Peloton in a line to follow Pog
  • blazing_saddles
    Pogacar stuck between a rock and a hard place
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Turner and Pidcock look like a dad taking his son out on his first club ride.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    There appears to be a child wearing Ineos kit keeping pace with the men in the chasing group.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

GvA accelerates on the hill at 63km to go in the peloton, and Pog goes over the top.

WvA group with Pidcock, Kung and Campanaerts, and a few others (will update) 15 seconds ahead

WvA you need to get Specsavers. He’s not riding.
  • rick_chasey
    WvA group makes it to the early break.

In the meantime a group moves out of the peloton, including Pog, Terpstra, Sheffield and a few others
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    MvP, WvA. They’re all the same.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited March 2022
    seanoconn said:

MvP, WvA. They’re all the same.

They must be to Rick. Maybe all the Vans are some sort of Benelux android.
  • rick_chasey
    Sorry MvdP
  • rick_chasey
    Blame covid fog
  • How many times is that Pidcock has been caught looking over his shoulder
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Good finale this
  • Mad_Malx
    Before the inevitable
  • Mad_Malx
    At vdp has the decency to look tired this time - bit if a cough
  • blazing_saddles
    One small mistake made by Campenaerts and it was game over.
    Wout van Der Aert-Poel was never going to lose to Benoot in a sprint.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Pidcock sounded happy enough with that result - seemed to suggest he thought someone else would close the gap, though from the overhead I thought the gap was already well open by the time Pidcock was even in a position to sit on anyone else's wheel (having just attacked himself). In retrospect he might be kicking himself for hesitating.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

Sorry MvdP

And I thought you were a WVA superfan - had me confused reading that as I'd commented yesterday about how WVA and all the other big names seemed to be avoiding each other outside of the big races.
  • rick_chasey
    Well my NordVPN stopped working at 15km to go ffs
  • rick_chasey
    What happened?
  • blazing_saddles

What happened?

Lots in those last 15kms.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

What happened?

Front group down to 8 with an mvdp burst on a climb, Kung attacked but got nowhere, Campanaerts attacked over the top and downhill with his 58 chainring, brought back when Pidcock kind of attacked, Benoot attacked with 2km(?) to go, mvdp went across to him and they had a gap that nobody was bridging. Mvdp opened up the two man sprint from the front and it was won.