Cobbled Classics 2022 *** Spoilers***

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    A grand chute.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited March 2022
    Thought there would be less to go ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Not showing much mercy letting people get back on
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Pidcock and Trentin only just make it back before the first climb.
    Senechal’s kit looking the worse for wear.
  • blazing_saddles
    First ascent of the Kemmelberg decimates the bunch.
    Sagan done.
  • mididoctors
    Was there gravel last year?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Ploegsteert sections been in past several years.
  • blazing_saddles
    orraloon said:

Ploegsteert sections been in past several years.

Unfortunately, they have taken the last section out, which came after the Kemmelberg.
    It's only Direct Energie chasing, which makes me wonder about whether Jumbo's big guns are going to fire today....
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    This section after Ypres an anticlimax
  • mididoctors
    Motos FFS
  • Mad_Malx
    Ha coms saying same
  • mididoctors
    I don't mind the flat run in. It's remarkably game theory stuff
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    I don't get the mindset of pro cyclists, there's no way that group of 4 should be staying away from a chase group that size.
  • mididoctors
    Going to be close
  • mididoctors
    YES!
  • Pross
    Thought Girmay had opened up too early. Great win, he's been excellent in the last few races.
  • mididoctors
    Yes yes yes !
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Pross said:

Thought Girmay had opened up too early. Great win, he's been excellent in the last few races.

he has, really well timed by him and the break
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Delighted for the lad 😃
  • Pross
    Funny seeing Jumbo compete the Quickstep tribute by blowing a race where they'd had the numbers again at one point.
  • mididoctors
    LaPorte left it too late
  • mididoctors
    Massive
  • Pross
    I thought it was going to be classic case of an inexperienced rider leading out the sprint too early into the wind but he had real strength.
  • mididoctors
    F**k*** aye
  • Pross
    Seems strange to hear a 21 year old talking about getting home to his wife and child.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    When Blythe and Cox were predicting the winner I said in my head 'nah, it's going to be Girmay - he's looking fresh'. I'm not even going to check what the odds were.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Mad_Malx said:

Nope.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It is pure cycling though. Sometimes revealing what's less good about it.

Good on Grimay
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    edited March 2022

Mad_Malx said:

Nope.
    Nothing happened between Ypres and the final 4km (when I wrote the comment). It had potential, but in the event never looked like the main group was going to bother. Agree that we need some breaks to work to keep the big boys alert.

Was happy enough with the finale. always good to see young riders getting a big one, particularly from an underdog team.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Mad_Malx said:

Mad_Malx said:

Nope.
    Nothing happened between Ypres and the final 4km (when I wrote the comment). It had potential, but in the event never looked like the main group was going to bother. Agree that we need some breaks to work to keep the big boys alert.

Was happy enough with the finale. always good to see young riders getting a big one, particularly from an underdog team.
    I disagree - the last 30km being like that shaped the race. And the break had to keep at it to stay away from van avermaert and the main group, the psychology of the main group was fascinating, and I wasn't certain until pretty late that it would make it.

Plus a good win.