S*** Small Races Thread - 2022

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Phil Gilbert turns back to clock and powers to victory in the third stage of Dunkerque.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    Philippe Gilbert wins a race!
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    Perfect draggy finish for him ... Good he wins something . Not the strongest field
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Cameron Wurf was 18th in the delayed 2021 Ironman World Champs. I don't image his rivals rode Paris-Roubaix as prep. I think he's more focused on the 2022 Worlds later this year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    There's a Tour of Hungary starting on Wednesday which seems a little unnecessary.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    RichN95. said:

There's a Tour of Hungary starting on Wednesday which seems a little unnecessary.

Decent win for a ridiculously young JV team on the first stage. Kooij looks to be a prospect.

Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    I don't think you can get much smaller than the UK Tour series - held in my home town today.
    Emma Jeffers only 17, yes 17 won out of a group pf 4 that went clear after a crash. As she is classed as a Junior, she was on restricted gearing.
    US National Crit Lambert won the men's.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Jeffers - any relation to Cam Jeffers?

Came 4th in the junior Gent Wevelgem apparently, according to PCS... https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gent-wevelgem-wj/2022/result
  • RichN95.

Came 4th in the junior Gent Wevelgem apparently, according to PCS... https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/gent-wevelgem-wj/2022/result

I've not heard of either, but looking at his twitter he's retweeting her results, so I guess they're brother and sister.
  • pinno
    I thought she was the sister of Amy Jeffers the BMX rider.
    Though, I could be wrong.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95. said:

I've not heard of either, but looking at his twitter he's retweeting her results, so I guess they're brother and sister.
    He's a youtuber, rides for Ribble-Weldtite, and was famously banned for cheating on Zwift in 2019 (was pretty minor really - used a bot to rack up miles to unlock a particular bike) https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/04/first-british-eracing-champion-banned-for-using-bot-to-gain-unfair-advantage

Interestingly was banned from all BC racing not just eRacing.
  • bobmcstuff
    pinno said:

Both could be true :smile: I don't know - just recognised the name
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    edited May 2022

RichN95. said:

He's a youtuber, rides for Ribble-Weldtite, and was famously banned for cheating on Zwift in 2019 (was pretty minor really - used a bot to rack up miles to unlock a particular bike) https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/04/first-british-eracing-champion-banned-for-using-bot-to-gain-unfair-advantage

(Humble brag alert) And I was faster up the final climb from Moutiers to Val Thorens on the 2019 Etape than him! B)

• pinno

RichN95. said:

(Humble brag alert) And I was faster up the final climb from Moutiers to Val Thorens on the 2019 Etape than him! B)

What was it like at altitude?
  • bobmcstuff
    I once spent 3 days in hospital in Moutiers with fractured a vertebra. It wasn't the best.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2022
    Okay, so if the mighty double Blockhaus stage wasn't enough to satiate the average cycling fans Sunday lunch appetite, there is another mighty race tomorrow. It's the day that all Brittany piglets fear: It's Tro Bro Leon time. (it's been moved from April)

Never the strongest field, just the best parcour.

Top competitors

KRISTOFF Alexander
    HOFSTETTER Hugo
    TURGIS Anthony
    COQUARD Bryan
    SWIFT Connor
    WALSCHEID Max
    ALLEGAERT Piet
    DE LIE Arnaud
    DEWULF Stan
    CAPIOT Amaury
    WELTEN Bram
    KRON Andreas
    PETIT Andrien
    STEWART Jake
    VERMEESCH Florian

Last 2 hours live on GCN/Eurosport player.

• pinno

pinno said:

Both could be true :smile: I don't know - just recognised the name
    A ha - Emma Jeffers used to be a BMX rider.
    Maybe that explains the leg speed on restricted gears in a sprint.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Tro bro day - hurray.
    Hoping for a second win for Connor.
    Poor piggy .....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Eddie Dunbar takes his second GC win of the season, coming a close second to Trek-Segafredo's Antonio Tiberi on the summit finish today. Ben Turner did a monster turn up until the 2 km to go point, launching Dunbar who looked like he had the stage win in the bag until Tiberi caught and passed him in the final 100 metres.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Tro Bro - rain and mud. Mechanicals and chaos. Lots of points for Arkea. Piglet very subdued.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    bm5 said:

Tro Bro - rain and mud. Mechanicals and chaos. Lots of points for Arkea. Piglet very subdued.

Impressive from young Sam Watson taking 5th.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • blazing_saddles
    bm5 said:

I watched it this afternoon. Wacky races. Proper hard. Great stuff.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712

Philippe Gilbert wins a race!

one of my favourite stage races of the season. Great rider to win it as well.

Loving the PhilGil
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    pinno said:

RichN95. said:

What was it like at altitude?
    Sorry Pinno, don't understand the question!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Ethan Hayter took his fourth win of the season at stage 2 of the Tour of Norway today, after Ineos shredded the field in crosswinds, leaving a front group of just 25 riders (with all 6 Ineos riders present).
  • bobmcstuff
    andyp said:

Ethan Hayter took his fourth win of the season at stage 2 of the Tour of Norway today, after Ineos shredded the field in crosswinds, leaving a front group of just 25 riders (with all 6 Ineos riders present).

I saw the sprint on Instagram but I didn't realise it was set up like that!
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
    Rather enjoying the Nordic scenery. It's making the Giro look a little pedestrian in comparison.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 673
    Love watching Hayter's progress but you wonder if Ineos will ever let him run in the yard with the big dogs rather than sit on the porch like a puppy.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Has nothing to do with Ineos. He doesn't like to ride in the peloton, so his performance suffers in big important races. Even in the Arctic Tour his positioning was terrible in stage 1 and he only positioned himself well in stage 2 where Luke Rowe split the group in crosswinds and Hayter only had a reduced bunch to deal with.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    He will learn
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm