Mince pie reviews

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907
    seanoconn said:

webboo said:

The missus’s home made ones. Possibly a 5 out of 5 but then again I prefer an Eccles cake. Against yesterdays M & S Eccles cakes I would say 4 out of 5. I was going to get a second opinion from Frankie the Japanese Spitz But I was threatened with death if I gave him any as did I know how much time and effort she put in to making them.

5/5 - high praise indeed! I thought I was bad posting about a small Angus Bakery which very few had access to, but I'm sure we've even less chance of sampling Mrs webboo's efforts!
    I can confirm they are excellent 👌

Does Mr Webboo know?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407

seanoconn said:

webboo said:

The missus’s home made ones. Possibly a 5 out of 5 but then again I prefer an Eccles cake. Against yesterdays M & S Eccles cakes I would say 4 out of 5. I was going to get a second opinion from Frankie the Japanese Spitz But I was threatened with death if I gave him any as did I know how much time and effort she put in to making them.

5/5 - high praise indeed! I thought I was bad posting about a small Angus Bakery which very few had access to, but I'm sure we've even less chance of sampling Mrs webboo's efforts!

Does Mr Webboo know?
    🤫
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

seanoconn said:

webboo said:

Does Mr Webboo know?
    I don’t which Mrs Webboo’s mince pies he’s been tasting but I’ve just checked our cake tin and there’s none missing.
  • webboo
    Munsford0 said:

However $h1t they are, please don't feed them to dogs...

"The raisins, currants and sultanas in the festive sweet treats are poisonous to dogs and eating them can lead to sickness and diarrhoea – and potentially fatal kidney failure"

https://www.vets-now.com/2018/12/dogs-and-mince-pies/

Yes I do know this I mentioned the dog in a vane attempt at humour.
  • Soz, the humour went over my head. Just rang alarm bells with me as friends spent last Christmas eve and several hundred pounds at the vets after their small dog demolished several mince pies...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907
    webboo said:

seanoconn said:

webboo said:

Does Mr Webboo know?
    I don’t which Mrs Webboo’s mince pies he’s been tasting but I’ve just checked our cake tin and there’s none missing.

Clever Mrs Webboo doing secret baking...
  • seanoconn

webboo said:

seanoconn said:

webboo said:

Does Mr Webboo know?

Clever Mrs Webboo doing secret baking...
    I got a tin of my own 👍
  • webboo
    Pictures or it didn’t happen.
  • webboo said:

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

• webboo
    As if my missus would any thing in a tin like that.
  • webboo
    The mince pies 🥧 in question.
  • Emma Bridgewater. Tasteful.
  • webboo said:

The mince pies 🥧 in question.

Taking orders?
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • webboo
    I don’t think she’s up for making anymore as she’s got to ice the Christmas cake. But if your in East Yorkshire pop in for one.
  • webboo said:

I don’t think she’s up for making anymore as she’s got to ice the Christmas cake. But if your in East Yorkshire pop in for one.

A bit far. I'll just have to make do with a picture 😳
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Mrs webboo has embarrassed Mrs Bianchi_dave into googling recipes 😄
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • webboo
    Apparently the mince pie recipe is by Paul Hollywood.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320

Mrs webboo has embarrassed Mrs Bianchi_dave into googling recipes 😄

Just showed these posts to my wife and reminded her she said she'd have a quiet week of WFH. She told me to get on my bike 🙄
  • webboo said:

Apparently the mince pie recipe is by Paul Hollywood.

She's happy to have a go, primarily as Mr Hollywood has supplied 'how to' videos 🤣
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • webboo
    Mrs Webboo used Waitrose mincemeat with a few chopped glacie cherries and soaked it in Amaretto.
  • seanoconn
    Heston pear and fig mince pies in triple cheese pastry. Once you get over the puff pastry sausage roll appearance, not a bad nibble. Tasty filling, not too rich, hint of cheese in the pastry but not overpowering. Solid 3.5
  • rakkor
    rakkor Posts: 49
    Down at the in-laws for Xmas - Mr Kipling Deep Filled - Just awful claggy mess with too much pastry to filling ratio - Avoid
  • Well so far this year I've not had a really bad one, which is good I recon. Very little difference in bronze silver and gold positions IMHO.
    I must say they are all better when eaten in the pub with plenty of liquid refreshment
    ;) being consumed, better than a bag of nuts at this time of the year

Shop     Personal rating
    Asda         4.2/5
    Booths       3.5/5
    Morrisons    3.5/5
    Tesco        4.5/5
    Sainsburys   4.4/5

• seanoconn

Well so far this year I've not had a really bad one, which is good I recon. Very little difference in bronze silver and gold positions IMHO.
    I must say they are all better when eaten in the pub with plenty of liquid refreshment

Shop     Personal rating
    Asda         4.2/5
    Booths       3.5/5
    Morrisons    3.5/5
    Tesco        4.5/5
    Sainsburys   4.4/5

Distinguished commitment to mince pies 🏅
  • seanoconn said:

Well so far this year I've not had a really bad one, which is good I recon. Very little difference in bronze silver and gold positions IMHO.

Shop     Personal rating
    Asda         4.2/5
    Booths       3.5/5
    Morrisons    3.5/5
    Tesco        4.5/5
    Sainsburys   4.4/5

Distinguished commitment to mince pies 🏅

I've gotta larfh
    I did (am) enjoying every moment of the "test" :D Honest!
  • A late honourable mention for Costa, sampled a couple of them recently, just to be sure.

Pastry very tasty, although a little firm. Mincemeat is very nice too. A solid 4/5 but easily could have gained another half point if the low ratio of filling to pastry was improved.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • seanoconn
    Tis the season.

Sainsbury’s short crust mince pies 3.5/4 depending on how well they’re baked.
  • Can somebody review Gails so I know whether to remortgage my house to buy one
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692

Can somebody review Gails so I know whether to remortgage my house to buy one

Absolute madness spending that kind of money on a kind of pastry that is so average it's not managed to break out christmas when they make so many nicer pastries.
  • Iceland own brand deluxe ones, very tasty and no palm oil.