Mince pie reviews

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    oxoman said:

M&S,s finest and Aldi speciality dispatched at work today general consensus was Aldi tasted the best.

Is the Aldi one just a knock off M&S one?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    I can add Sainos TTD to the list with a 2/5 score for me. Too tangy, not sweet or buttery enough, and a little too deep so the filling/pastry ratio is a bit off.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    edited December 2021
    Sainos? You're doing this deliberately.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,599
    edited December 2021
    pangolin said:

I assumed it was a European branch. Sainos - Madrid. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

Is it not in Singers? Or a Sunbeam but not a Hillman?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pangolin said:

Is it not in Singers? Or a Sunbeam but not a Hillman?
    There may be a branch in Singers too. That Sunbeam would be a Sunny but not a Nissan. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,321
    Sainos in store baked. Reasonable shortcrust, a little bland and basic, not enough filling. 2.5/5
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    In loosely related news the EPO bought some mince pie flavoured ice cream. No, just no. 0/5 if not less.
  • I've been trying the Lidl Deluxe Luxury Brandy Butter mince pies this week. Sounds like a good idea but its trying too hard.

Pastry is nice enough but the brandy butter topping is too thick and overpowers the taste. Its a shame as the mincemeat is really nice, with some nuts sneaking in there too. Obviously not good for those with allergies!

I'd give it a 2.5/5 (the mincemeat earns it an extra point).
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2021
    Turned out that Tesco was the only shop I passed today that had well reviewed pies.
    All Butter Pastry Mince Pies (there are other variants) £2 for 6 pies and 3 boxes for 2.
    Cooked in the oven and topped with double cream. Lush, and much better than microwaved. Certainly a 4+/5.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    edited December 2021
    DeVlaeminck's own home made. Filled with Aldi's salted caramel mincemeat which my wife bought by mistake (the salted caramel bit - she knew she was buying mincemeat).

Aesthetically not great - a bit of leakage and the first batch were a touch over cooked. A better favour than shop bought though especially the pastry - I was actually pleasantly surprised how they turned out.

Ps the better looking ones have already been eaten
    3.75/5

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

DeVlaeminck's own home made. Filled with Aldi's salted caramel mincemeat which my wife bought by mistake (the salted caramel bit - she knew she was buying mincemeat).

Aesthetically not great - a bit of leakage and the first batch were a touch over cooked. A better favour than shop bought though especially the pastry - I was actually pleasantly surprised how they turned out.

3.75/5

I like a homemade mince pie. Much prefer the pastry as you say.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Sainos TTD stollen slices (a substitute), 1/5.

Dry, severely lacking in marzipan and too much icing sugar.
  • pblakeney

Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck's own home made. Filled with Aldi's salted caramel mincemeat which my wife bought by mistake (the salted caramel bit - she knew she was buying mincemeat).

3.75/5

3.75/5

That needs a 20p for scale
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    I'm feeling left out as I seem to be the only one round here who's not that fussed about mince pies...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes I know the chopping board needs wiping
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

You see, that but if sticky seepage is my favourite bit of home made mince pies. Good work there
  • veronese68
    edited December 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm feeling left out as I seem to be the only one round here who's not that fussed about mince pies...

You're just being contrary for the sake of it again :D
    Forgot to say, Waitrose mince pies were pretty good, pastry on the top was a touch too thick. 3.75/5.
    Should I have referred to them as Waito's?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Forgot to say, Waitrose mince pies were pretty good, pastry on the top was a touch too thick. 3.75/5
    Honest, I'm not being contrarian - in this case :) I don't actually dislike them but I won't go out of my way for them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Forgot to say, Waitrose mince pies were pretty good, pastry on the top was a touch too thick. 3.75/5
    Honest, I'm not being contrarian - in this case :) I don't actually dislike them but I won't go out of my way for them.
    When have I ever let facts get in the way of a bit of urine extraction?
    The EPO, that also claims not to be bothered about them, has just ordered more mince pie flavour ice cream, it's all kinds of wrong.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

When have I ever let facts get in the way of a bit of urine extraction?
    The EPO, that also claims not to be bothered about them, has just ordered more mince pie flavour ice cream, it's all kinds of wrong.
    That sounds vile...you can let her eat the lot and tell her to cut out the middle man by sticking it straight on her arris >:)
  • DeVlaeminck
    edited December 2021

Tesco with butter enriched pastry. Quite a nice texture to the pastry but a bit of a doughy taste to it, not much filling and the flavour overall was definitely dominated by the pastry. Not unpleasant but disappointing. 2/5
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199

...and 'Moss's'. But how do you urbanise Lidl and Aldi?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    johngti said:

You see, that but if sticky seepage is my favourite bit of home made mince pies. Good work there
    You've developed a lisp during isolation John.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    edited December 2021

Tesco with butter enriched pastry. Quite a nice texture to the pastry but a bit of a doughy taste to it, not much filling and the flavour overall was definitely dominated by the pastry. Not unpleasant but disappointing. 2/5

Not sure I'm going to try those if they result in you needing the product in the background!

Maybe it is to deal with JohnGTI's sticky seepage!
  • veronese68
    pinno said:

...and 'Moss's'. But how do you urbanise Lidl and Aldi?
    Lidders and Alders?
  • DeVlaeminck
    Pross said:

Not sure I'm going to try those if they result in you needing the product in the background!

Haha yes noticed that after posting - could have been worse!
  • seanoconn
    Pross said:

Good spot. I’m mean who leaves tampax on the coffee table? 😂
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Good spot. I’m mean who leaves tampax on the coffee table? 😂
    Or is that a breakfast bar? Which would be more acceptable.