Mince pie reviews

Comments

• pinno said:

Should I have referred to them as Waito's?

...and 'Moss's'. But how do you urbanise Lidl and Aldi?
    Lidders and Alders?
    Lido?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    edited December 2021
    Had a colleague who dropped £100k on his wedding, only to divorce 8 months later and spiral into alcoholism, which he then took out on me in the office as, as I found out on my penultimate day of working my notice, I apparently had my life together as I was married with kids and younger than him so it was good I was "f@cking off".

Anyway, he used lidl champers for his wedding and he absolutely referred to it as either Lidders or Lids, depending on his mood.

Unrelated, I helped my new colleagues who I liked win his main client off him 9 months later, something which I took massive pride in. Little sh!t. Deserves all he gets.
  • Had a colleague who dropped £100k on his wedding, only to divorce 8 months later and spiral into alcoholism, which he then took out on me in the office as, as I found out on my penultimate day of working my notice, I apparently had my life together as I was married with kids and younger than him so it was good I was "f@cking off".

Anyway, he used lidl champers for his wedding and he absolutely referred to it as either Lidders or Lids, depending on his mood.

Unrelated, I helped my new colleagues who I liked win his main client off him 9 months later, something which I took massive pride in. Little sh!t. Deserves all he gets.

Spending £100k on a wedding whilst buying the champagne from Lidl does not compute
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    edited December 2021
    So you deprived a depressed alcoholic of income because he envied you.
    Job well done, have a pie.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2021
    pblakeney said:

So you deprived a depressed alcoholic of income because he envied you.
    Job well done, have a pie.

Lad was an utter sh!t, he deserves everything he gets, booze or no booze.

Rated himself so highly because his dad, who ran the firm, gifted him the client. Made out my new firm "would never be able to compete" with his firm and that I was bad at my job.

So that is plenty incentive to win it off him. It's a free market, and it's a competitive market. If he can't compete and I can, that's his problem, not mine.
  • rick_chasey

Had a colleague who dropped £100k on his wedding, only to divorce 8 months later and spiral into alcoholism, which he then took out on me in the office as, as I found out on my penultimate day of working my notice, I apparently had my life together as I was married with kids and younger than him so it was good I was "f@cking off".

Spending £100k on a wedding whilst buying the champagne from Lidl does not compute
    Quite.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, apologies for taking it off topic.

Are we allowed to introduce panettone reviews or is that too middle class?
  • Anyway, apologies for taking it off topic.

Start a new thread but if you can make panettone sound street then I will doff my cap to you
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74

Anyway, apologies for taking it off topic.

Start a new thread but if you can make panettone sound street then I will doff my cap to you
    It's known as 'Tony' by those those who snort it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,042
    £100k on a wedding?!?
    ...and I drive 'fancy' cars...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001
    seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Tesco with butter enriched pastry. Quite a nice texture to the pastry but a bit of a doughy taste to it, not much filling and the flavour overall was definitely dominated by the pastry. Not unpleasant but disappointing. 2/5

Not sure I'm going to try those if they result in you needing the product in the background!

Maybe it is to deal with JohnGTI's sticky seepage!
    Good spot. I’m mean who leaves tampax on the coffee table? 😂
    Well it wasn't me !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Tesco with butter enriched pastry. Quite a nice texture to the pastry but a bit of a doughy taste to it, not much filling and the flavour overall was definitely dominated by the pastry. Not unpleasant but disappointing. 2/5

Not sure I'm going to try those if they result in you needing the product in the background!

Or is that a breakfast bar? Which would be more acceptable.
    Depends where you are going to insert them.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Pross said:

Or is that a breakfast bar? Which would be more acceptable.
    Depends where you are going to insert them.
    My feeling is the tampax is allowed a little holiday in the kitchen after being unpacked from big shop before it makes it’s way to the bathroom cabinet.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2021
    pinno said:

£100k on a wedding?!?
    ...and I drive 'fancy' cars...

Yes but Pinno, with all due respect, you're not pure c&nt though, nor do you get your father to bankroll it all.
  • pinno
    Fair enough.
  • rick_chasey
    Don't say I can't do compliments. Here, have a mince pie, M&S (4/5)
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608
    pinno said:

Fair enough.

Probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to you 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    To continue the tangent as it might not come up again. I know parents who spent £60k on their daughter's wedding. Marriage lasted 6 months. I know another couple who had a cheaper wedding. Their marriage failed on the first week of the honeymoon due to the husband getting jiggy with a maid.
    Weddings are a huge waste of money. Yes, I am married. Happily. So far.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pblakeney said:

...due to the husband getting jiggy with a maid.

Oops.

I has been with Mrs P for almost 18 years and we aren't actually married.

• rick_chasey
    Their marriage failed on the first week of the honeymoon due to the husband getting jiggy with a maid.

Yikes.
  • rick_chasey
    FWIW, my wedding day, easily the best day of my life. Loved it. Every minute.
  • pblakeney

FWIW, my wedding day, easily the best day of my life. Loved it. Every minute.

Oh yes! Absolutely wonderful.
    Not value for money by any means, but wonderful. Like a Ferrari.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001
    I enjoyed my wedding day but it didn't cost much. Registry office then a meal at a nice pub in the Peak District - wife's dress was £80, my ring whatever that cost, wife used her mum's old one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno
    edited December 2021

I enjoyed my wedding day but it didn't cost much. Registry office then a meal at a nice pub in the Peak District - wife's dress was £80, my ring whatever that cost, wife used her mum's old one.

Like ^ very much. Sounds wonderful. That's what I think of as good, honest wedding. Far more romantic and real than lavish expenditure, matching lavender everything, champagne and a long guest list.
    The frills mean nothing.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    I thought Rick was in the wrong thread for a moment back there. So to carry on the multiple tangents, married for 26 years and still happy most of the time. Our wedding day is still talked about by people that were there as it was a bloody good do. Not particularly lavish but everything just clicked for some reason.
    Panettone or Pandoro are absolutely joyous. Pandoro is my preference, this doesn't have any bits in it and has a dusting of icing sugar on the top. Pandoro is actually Veronese and Panettone is Milanese in origin, so I may be slightly biased. Lidders and Alders do perfectly good examples of both, there is no need to go to Waitrose and buy expensive ones. My mother, the italian, buys the Lidl ones.
    I'd better go and have a mince pie now...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,859
    edited December 2021
    I've still managed not to consume a single mince pie - which is good as I am trying to lose weight, circa 6.5kg or just over a stone gone so far.

My partner made this yesterday, I've tried one, and it was very pleasant.
    https://deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/mince-pie-crumble-traybake/

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Unlucky @daniel_b on the mince pie sampling, but you've got to do what you've got to do!

I'm having trouble with weight reducing too but I like (love) my mince pies, so other things have to go, not the pies :D when there gone the problem (if there was one) ends then LOL
  • I just love heavy and thick pastry . 10/10
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,473
    Had one yesterday from the local cafe. Amazing crisp pastry, deep filled with punchy boozy fruit and topped with a marzipan star which in this instance added something extra which I liked. Served with a generous dollop of clotted cream too. Best I've had this year
  • pinno
    Tashman said:

Had one yesterday from the local cafe. Amazing crisp pastry, deep filled with punchy boozy fruit and topped with a marzipan star which in this instance added something extra which I liked. Served with a generous dollop of clotted cream too. Best I've had this year

Not a little bit rich?

I has been trying to pile on the lbs to give me a bit more insulation for rides over the winter. So far, i've added about 0.75 of a kg. Must up the pie intake.