Mince pie reviews

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,345
    This week, I have been mowstly eating... Mince pies!
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Sainsbury's in store bakery mince pies, basically a supermarket doing an impression of home made pies. Very good, but I realise I've scored others too highly and a 5 is impossible, so 4.75/5.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    pinno said:

Tashman said:

Had one yesterday from the local cafe. Amazing crisp pastry, deep filled with punchy boozy fruit and topped with a marzipan star which in this instance added something extra which I liked. Served with a generous dollop of clotted cream too. Best I've had this year

Not a little bit rich?

I has been trying to pile on the lbs to give me a bit more insulation for rides over the winter. So far, i've added about 0.75 of a kg. Must up the pie intake.
    Tashwife found it too much but for me it was lovely. I'm 100kg+ at the minute so not too worried about extra lbs 'til I get going again in the better weather and all the Christmas goodies have been consumed.
  • What is a mince pie?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,345
    racerex said:

What is a mince pie?

It is a pie which was invented to get around the then tax they placed on meat pies.
    Some say that real mince pies were sold as the term disguised the differentiation.
    Mince pies have a fruit filling and are available from supermarkets, coming in single form, half dozens and dozens. Sometimes bumper packs can be sought.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • So, Apple pie, Cherry pie? Do you get Key Lime pie in GB? My favorite.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited December 2021
    Google can be quite helpful for these sort of questions.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I tried to Google “Do cyclists in Great Britain eat Key Lime pie”, but the results weren’t helpful….
    https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/floridians-celebrate-july-4-eating-key-lime-pie-v08ca2293
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    racerex said:

So, Apple pie, Cherry pie? Do you get Key Lime pie in GB? My favorite.

Not if we can help it. We don’t do grits either.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    racerex said:

I tried to Google “Do cyclists in Great Britain eat Key Lime pie”, but the results weren’t helpful….
    https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/floridians-celebrate-july-4-eating-key-lime-pie-v08ca2293

You don't really see it here no
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    racerex said:

No they aren't mince pies - mince pies are filled with mincemeat.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I'm a veterinarian so I don't eat mincemeat pies.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    Tis the season for mince pie jollyiment once more.

Sainsbury's Mini Ecclefechan Tarts & Frangipane Mince Pies.: small but tasty treats, slightly too sweet for me but a hit with the missus. Cream to combat the richness will help. Score 3.5

Sainsburys taste the difference, brandy infused mincemeat mince pies. Not sure if the recipe is the same as last year. Decent filling, slightly too sweet, decent pastry. Score 3.

Tesco finest all butter. Generous filling, mincemeat well balance and not overpowering. Good pastry. Solid 4.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    Well done Seano. Just had a big stock Sainsbury's mince pie, decidedly average. Brandy cream would have helped.
  • pblakeney
    Thanks for the reminder!
    This thread means that I can refer back. Next trip to Tesco has something for me. 😉
    pblakeney said:

Turned out that Tesco was the only shop I passed today that had well reviewed pies.
    All Butter Pastry Mince Pies (there are other variants) £2 for 6 pies and 3 boxes for 2.
    Cooked in the oven and topped with double cream. Lush, and much better than microwaved. Certainly a 4+/5.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Been eating them for at least a month now, no reviews as I just ate them without looking at the make. Shame to see food pretention is edging in on a simple mince pie though.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,687
    Bah humbug. It's November 5th. Finish off the pumpkin pies / neeps 'n' tatties first, heathens.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

Been eating them for at least a month now, no reviews as I just ate them without looking at the make. Shame to see food pretention is edging in on a simple mince pie though.

???? As with anything there is good and bad.
    Nice to know in advance what is good. Life is too short for bad stuff.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,907
    orraloon said:

Bah humbug. It's November 5th. Finish off the pumpkin pies / neeps 'n' tatties first, heathens.

Went to the local farm shop to buy an enormous pumpkin for spicy soup today, like last year when the were virtually giving them away from 1 November, and they said they'd run out on the day. Barstewards!!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Wasn’t talking about reviewing them sorry, it was the frangipani pies mentioned above. Not sure why a mince pie needs anything more than pastry and mincemeat
  • veronese68
    Agree with Pross, a good standard mince pie doesn't need messing with.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Wasn’t talking about reviewing them sorry, it was the frangipani pies mentioned above. Not sure why a mince pie needs anything more than pastry and mincemeat
    And just a touuuuch of smashed avo.

👨‍🍳
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

And just a touuuuch of smashed avo.

👨‍🍳
    pastry and smashing needs to be done by an artisan
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Aldi ones this year appear to have shrunk. Put less in a box or the price up, don't shrink them, it messes with the pastry/mincemeat ratio!
  • seanoconn said:

Tis the season for mince pie jollyiment once more.

Sainsbury's Mini Ecclefechan Tarts & Frangipane Mince Pies.: small but tasty treats, slightly too sweet for me but a hit with the missus. Cream to combat the richness will help. Score 3.5

Sainsburys taste the difference, brandy infused mincemeat mince pies. Not sure if the recipe is the same as last year. Decent filling, slightly too sweet, decent pastry. Score 3.

Tesco finest all butter. Generous filling, mincemeat well balance and not overpowering. Good pastry. Solid 4.

Tesco currently offering the finest all butter for half price with a club card.
    So £1-12 for 6 instead of £2-25.
    Seems excellent value when the likes of Lidl and Aldi best range is £1-75.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I used to treat myself to the posh Melrose & Morgan one's but I had a box last year and they were disappointing.

The M&S fresh baked from the in store bakeries are good.

Otherwise I have them from my local coffee shops as they are home made and better than any of the shop bought one's.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited November 2022
    webboo said:

racerex said:

Not if we can help it. We don’t do grits either.
    Or 'biscuits' which I think maybe a scone in the UK. A biscuit here is a cookie in the US
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253

I used to treat myself to the posh Melrose & Morgan one's but I had a box last year and they were disappointing.

The M&S fresh baked from the in store bakeries are good.

Otherwise I have them from my local coffee shops as they are home made and better than any of the shop bought one's.

For me it has to be the bakery ones not the boxed commercial ones. Local place I get them from doesnt make them until December then in january they are gone. Their Hot X buns appear just before easter then no more for a year. i like that. means I'm not buying them for 11 months of a year
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Would you rather not have an Eccles cake instead of a mince pie or are you all hardcore users.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 608
    edited November 2022
    Anybody tried whatever mince pie weirdness Heston is doing for Waitrose this year? Caught a glimpse of a box and they look like sausage rolls. OH hauled me away to look at something less interesting.

Google tells me pear and fig mince pies in cheese pastry...