Anyone GOT 2021 - 2023... GCN+ / Eurosport now Discovery Black Friday Deals?

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    I thought gcn had a lot bigger range of little races. It also has a lot of travelogue & advertorial content too, which I don’t think is all elsewhere, Some is good, others a bit meh.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    edited January 2022

Latest British Cycling email is offering GCN+ for £30 to members.

Is it reliable? Last year it seemed to be failing a lot whilst Eurosport was fine.

The app was fine for me, but I suspect as I had an account and had subscribed in the past it would not allow me to use the code - I e-mailed their support, but it was a useless response.

For the sake of a tenner it wasn't worth the undoubted hassle, though maybe it would work this time.

It will be quite different to Discovery - notably cycling content wise you'll have access to all of the long documentary stuff they make, which may or may not interest you.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605

Is it reliable? Last year it seemed to be failing a lot whilst Eurosport was fine.

It's hard to see how that is better than Discovery+ for the same price.
    The app is showing £60 for me.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    daniel_b said:

The app was fine for me, but I suspect as I had an account and had subscribed in the past it would not allow me to use the code - I e-mailed their support, but it was a useless response.

For the sake of a tenner it wasn't worth the undoubted hassle, though maybe it would work this time.

It will be quite different to Discovery - notably cycling content wise you'll have access to all of the long documentary stuff they make, which may or may not interest you.
    Thanks. I just remember seeing Dan Lloyd apologising throughout various races on Twitter when ES was running fine.
    I’m not sure I’m arsed about the other stuff … just race coverage really
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    I am getting confused again. This is normal, don't fret. 😉
    If you go down the Discovery route do you get the Eurosport Player?
    I ask as I know that the Player, the net, and TV versions are all different. The Player is the one you want.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    pblakeney said:

I ask as I know that the Player, the net, and TV versions are all different. The Player is the one you want.

No. You get discovery plus player which seems to have all the same stuff as eurosport player plus extra random programmes.

Eurosport player will be discontinued at some point.
  • TheBigBean
    edited January 2022

It's hard to see how that is better than Discovery+ for the same price.
    The app is showing £60 for me.
    Here. £30. Or apprach via Eurosport player if the link doesn't work.

https://promo.discoveryplus.co.uk/promo/all-sports/watch-eurosport-on-discoveryplus?utm_campaign=UK-EU-D1-EU-C7-ESP-BAU-DR-W-AllSports-Undefined-210101-NA&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=eurosportplayer.com&utm_content=home-navbar-button-subscribe
  • pblakeney said:

No. You get discovery plus player which seems to have all the same stuff as eurosport player plus extra random programmes.

Should that happen soon, I think would go down the GCN route rather than the Discovery, as I have all their content via Sky.

Without another discount, Discovery will cost at least £60 next year, with the other option/s remaining cheaper, even without a mark down.
    Hopefully, when the switch comes, Eurosport player subscribers will get a sweetener.

For those wondering, here's a link worth a read.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/eurosport-player-phased-out-moving-discovery-plus/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    Thanks for that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

Should that happen soon, I think would go down the GCN route rather than the Discovery, as I have all their content via Sky.

Without another discount, Discovery will cost at least £60 next year, with the other option/s remaining cheaper, even without a mark down.
    Hopefully, when the switch comes, Eurosport player subscribers will get a sweetener.

For those wondering, here's a link worth a read.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/eurosport-player-phased-out-moving-discovery-plus/
    What more do you get from GCN? I get Eurosport through Virgin, but am happy to pay to have the greater selection of channels.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    My GCN renewed last year at £39.99 which I was happy to pay tbh. I didn't have massive issues with the app, I know it may have been down for a couple of races. Some of the documentary content is worth watching but I am not sure I would actually pay for it (if it was an add-on etc.)

I either cast it from browser or from my phone.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,934
    edited January 2022
    Going to be interesting to see what they do with the ES Player. There has been no communication from ES about the Player being discontinued, and now requiring a Discovery+ sub instead.

Will allow the repeat £39.99 charge to go out in the first week of Feb, then argue with them if they switch it off without notice during the year.

Still have no desire for any of Discovery+'s other output, so it's still a 50% price increase with no benefit to me.
  • TheBigBean
    JimD666 said:

Going to be interesting to see what they do with the ES Player. There has been no communication from ES about the Player being discontinued, and now requiring a Discovery+ sub instead.

Will allow the repeat £39.99 charge to go out in the first week of Feb, then argue with them if they switch it off without notice during the year.

Still have no desire for any of Discovery+'s other output, so it's still a 50% price increase with no benefit to me.

Except that it is £30 at the moment.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Anyone know what's happening with Olympic Coverage this year? Is it all Discovery again?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    ddraver said:

Anyone know what's happening with Olympic Coverage this year? Is it all Discovery again?

Yes, with presumably the BBC getting a couple of sports at a time.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Well that at least settles the GCN vs ES debate for me...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666 said:

I think a few of us on here have renewals due in the middle of March, having bagged back to back Black Friday deals.
    They sent me an email thanking me for switching the auto renew back on, so I think we’ll be ok for this year at least.

• JimD666
    Any one with a Fire Stick get the Discovery+ app to work?

Herself signed up and cancelled the ES sub with out checking things. All I get is "You're not connected to the internet, please connect" on both Fire sticks in the house.

Apparently shouting "if I wasn't connected to the net how the hell did I download you, you fscking thing" at them just upsets the dog without actually achieving anything. Who knew?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Eurosport Player app on iPad plays ok on device but is refusing to cast to tv via Airplay / Apple TV, just in time for the Worlds CX. Pain. Anyone else experiencing such?

Done usual resets, delete and reload app, no difference, just get std 'error loading content' message. Other apps casting fine, like RedBullTV and Spotify.

Looks like will be peering at a small screen version later.
  • pblakeney
    Why not just install the app on the Apple TV instead of casting?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    pblakeney said:

Very old version of the Apple TV unit. I know, the answer is replace it with summat not 10 years old and way beyond software updates 😉
  • JimD666
    After a factory reset, finally managed to get the Disco+ app to work. Stupid thing.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I've just signed up for 12 months Discovery Plus thingy - wasn't planning to, but want to see the AO final tomorrow whilst on the turbo, and it will get me the winter olympics as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • And our first live coverage of the season, from said GCN/Eurosport is now on....
  • orraloon
    edited February 2022
    orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

Very old version of the Apple TV unit. I know, the answer is replace it with summat not 10 years old and way beyond software updates 😉
    And replaced it. Amazon FireStick. ES Player up and running. More more (who said more more?, should read no more) dycking about with casting working yes or no. And this evening will be catch up.

And I'm to date with Spanish stuff and weird sandy desert stuff.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Sounds like there is a deal happening between Discovery Plus and BT Sport, so looks a good time to snap up the offer price before it inevitably rises.
  • I just went to cancel my eurosport annual pass and got offered another year at half price. So for £19.99 I'm signed up till June 2023. Happy days.

I assume I'll get moved to Discovery sport at some point.
  • redvision said:

Sounds like there is a deal happening between Discovery Plus and BT Sport, so looks a good time to snap up the offer price before it inevitably rises.

Yup.

The new venture would mean BT Sport customers get access to Discovery’s sport and entertainment content, including its discovery+ app, while Discovery would get access to BT Sport’s customer base and package of rights which includes English Premier League soccer.

BT is aiming for the new venture to be up and running by the end of the year subject to competition approvals.

Further here:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/global/discovery-bt-sport-eurosport-1235170946/

One thing for sure is that next year, £59-99 for a year won't even be the 50% off price.
  • pblakeney

One thing for sure is that next year, £59-99 for a year won't even be the 50% off price.

For this reason alone I am considering cancelling my Eurosport to get the 1/2 price renewal offer and stringing that along as far as possible. Next year's prices may be prohibitive.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • JimD666
    Oh what joy. Paying extra to feed the bottomless pit that is English football. I'd love to have MotoGP back not at the £25per month that is likely to be price (based on BT sport's current price)