Anyone GOT 2021 - 2023... GCN+ / Eurosport now Discovery Black Friday Deals?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    edited January 2022
    I've just resubscribed as well to GCN+.
    My auto renew was off, but it was still £39.99 - pretty sure that is correct, and it's the ES player replacement that has gone up to £60?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • My auto renew was off, too, but it's back on now at £39-99.
    Looks as if that's the best deal we are going to get, but if something turns up, it's a simple matter to knock it off again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Just looked at my Eurosport account, I use the Player app. Renewal for this June is showing as the undiscounted £39.99.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited January 2022
    Eurosport Player auto renews 21st March.
    Last payment £19.99, next payment £39.99. Well worth it.

£59.99 seems steep to get Discovery and TLC included from scratch.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    If you like Discovery anyway I guess £20 a year on top isn't too bad.

Considering the amount of additional content we seem to be getting and ad free option I would say even at £39.99 ES or GCN+ are really good value.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

I

Considering the amount of additional content we seem to be getting and ad free option I would say even at £39.99 ES or GCN+ are really good value.

I'd agree with that and amended my post.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • My GCN app is due to expire in Feb (£39.99) and no way in hell am I renewing. The TV app is utter crap. On my older TV is stuttered constantly on live feed. I now have a brand new Sony OLED and the app has been frozen for days, doesn't even work!

Honestly, you'd think they could sort this out. I ain't paying 40 quid to watch cycling on my bloody phone! Rant over
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    ES Player through my Fire TV stick on a very early LG LCD TV has worked pretty much perfectly for me.
  • ES (and ITV4 for Tour) are my go to's. Normally can just switch between them to avoid adverts and its good to get a mix of commentary, especially when that clown is on ES. Just a shame ITV don't have the big one dayers too, as I quite like Millar. Ned is ok (ish) but Matt Rendell puts me to sleep (genuinely).

I've no issues with any other apps, so don't understand why GCN have such a problem with their version for Android/Google TVs. I'm not an app developer, but how hard can it be??? The phone app works perfectly.

This thread has made ,e check it again, and after several uninstalls and reinstalls it still won't work. Just a frozen 'continue watching' screen' with San Sebastian being the last race I watched on the app (probably on my laptop). TV is a Sony A80J and its software is all up to date.

Major fail from GCN on this one.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Thought it wouldn't happen. Now £30 for the year. Offer until 20th Feb. Fill your boots everyone.
  • TheBigBean
    It does require the Discovery+ app which seems to work.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342

My GCN app is due to expire in Feb (£39.99) and no way in hell am I renewing. The TV app is utter censored . On my older TV is stuttered constantly on live feed. I now have a brand new Sony OLED and the app has been frozen for days, doesn't even work!

Honestly, you'd think they could sort this out. I ain't paying 40 quid to watch cycling on my bloody phone! Rant over

Does your Sony have a web browser function? I use the GCN website to run GCN+ and it's a bit clunky, but works very well to actually watch the races.
    I just need a better deal for GCN+. I want my 19,99€ again. 😁
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

Where’s the link to discovery+? I have that via sky but can’t see a gun+ link anywhere
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited January 2022

Thought it wouldn't happen. Now £30 for the year. Offer until 20th Feb. Fill your boots everyone.

It’s 50% off the Discovery+ entertainment and sports package to which you refer?
    So having had a look it’s £59-99 now down to £29-99.

Sorry I have now read your other post referring to their app.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean

It’s 50% off the Discovery+ entertainment and sports package to which you refer?
    So having had a look it’s £59-99 now down to £29-99.
    Yes. To most people on here that is Eurosport player plus some noise for £30.
  • TheBigBean
    johngti said:

Where’s the link to discovery+? I have that via sky but can’t see a gun+ link anywhere
    Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Can you add some more details?
  • m.r.m. said:

My GCN app is due to expire in Feb (£39.99) and no way in hell am I renewing. The TV app is utter censored . On my older TV is stuttered constantly on live feed. I now have a brand new Sony OLED and the app has been frozen for days, doesn't even work!

Does your Sony have a web browser function? I use the GCN website to run GCN+ and it's a bit clunky, but works very well to actually watch the races.
    I just need a better deal for GCN+. I want my 19,99€ again. 😁
    Just checked and it works, but won't go full screen. 65" TV with a 48" picture. Not good enough for me to justify renewing.

I actually posted a comment on YouTube on tonight's GCN Tech Show, after they plugged the ÷ app. Nothing derogatory or offensive whatsoever, but my comment was quickly removed.....

That's my mind made up!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Think you answered in the post above.
  • TheBigBean
    I suppose the one thing it does mean is that you won't be able to use the Eurosport player app on TVs.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I bit the bullet and renewed for Discovery. You cannot loginto Eurosport Player with your Discovery login, so you are reliant on the Discovery app. I use it on Android and cast to Chromecast. That's easy, there is a button to cast on the app. The app itself has the main channels ,, Quest etc etc, tat basically -- moving wallpaper ..There Eurosports 1 and 2 but these will be advert channels. Navigating the app there is a schedule/catch up, BUT is probably not going to be as good as GCN. The next cyclocross is for tomorrow and I think it may be adfree if you watch via the scheduling not direct off the channel. We'll just see how it goes when the Classics start up.
  • TheBigBean
    edited January 2022
    jgsi said:

I bit the bullet and renewed for Discovery. You cannot loginto Eurosport Player with your Discovery login, so you are reliant on the Discovery app. I use it on Android and cast to Chromecast. That's easy, there is a button to cast on the app. The app itself has the main channels ,, Quest etc etc, tat basically -- moving wallpaper ..There Eurosports 1 and 2 but these will be advert channels. Navigating the app there is a schedule/catch up, BUT is probably not going to be as good as GCN. The next cyclocross is for tomorrow and I think it may be adfree if you watch via the scheduling not direct off the channel. We'll just see how it goes when the Classics start up.

I was concerned about this, but when I tested it I was offered four channels. I think that included two ad free ones.

Edit
    The only difference I have found so far to the Eurosport player app is that there is no drop down menu to select which sport you are after.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Do you still get the option of viewing live broadcasts of events not on ES1 or ES2?

Or are you limited to those two channels with an option to watch the same programme but ad free?
  • TheBigBean
    redvision said:

Do you still get the option of viewing live broadcasts of events not on ES1 or ES2?

Or are you limited to those two channels with an option to watch the same programme but ad free?

Yes, right now there are five live options: E2 skiing, skiing, E1 tennis, tennis and figure skating. Presumably the latter channel is the one you mean.
  • jgsi
    I don't know for sure yet. I've trawled thru the catch ups for cycle cross and , yes, events annotated with ad free status, so that's looking ok. I've also noted that away from the main 2 channels, there are other events to watch. Again I'm using the android app for Discovery. The next cross is actually Sunday.
  • jgsi
    Just checked out the 'Cycling' tab... and the Ozzie roads are on.
  • pblakeney
    I am happy with the ES app where you have a choice of ad free and choice of audio.
    Which current option does that or just stick? For info before renewal comes up?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

I am happy with the ES app where you have a choice of ad free and choice of audio.
    Which current option does that or just stick? For info before renewal comes up?

I don't think you can renew the Eurosport app any more unless the auto renew does it. Even then I suspect you will be moved to Discovery+ soon. In any case, I've concluded Discovery+ has the same options as Eurosport player.
  • pblakeney
    I will be the Guinea pig and wait on autu renew at £39:99 and see what happens in March.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Latest British Cycling email is offering GCN+ for £30 to members.

Is it reliable? Last year it seemed to be failing a lot whilst Eurosport was fine.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • TheBigBean

Latest British Cycling email is offering GCN+ for £30 to members.

Is it reliable? Last year it seemed to be failing a lot whilst Eurosport was fine.

It's hard to see how that is better than Discovery+ for the same price.