Anyone GOT 2021 - 2023... GCN+ / Eurosport now Discovery Black Friday Deals?

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited February 2023 in Pro race
Any word out, that, deals are ready to be made for Black Friday or any other date ?

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    I got all excited when I saw your thread title......
    Needs a ?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited November 2021
    I remember fondly my £1.99 BF deal from 2 or 3 years back for a years sub of ES player. Currently have neither one running, so would be keen to get one back up and running as well.
    I was unable to use the BC 25% discount that was around last month, probably not for existing accounts.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • If you can watch everything ad free, I can't see how there's a business case for £2 a year long term unfortunately.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

If you can watch everything ad free, I can't see how there's a business case for £2 a year long term unfortunately.

Is there a market for ad free at £60/year though?
  • If you can watch everything ad free, I can't see how there's a business case for £2 a year long term unfortunately.

I'd probably pay it. I watch a lot of cycling.
  • TheBigBean

If you can watch everything ad free, I can't see how there's a business case for £2 a year long term unfortunately.

I'm not going to and just use Virgin with ads instead. Doesn't work as well.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021

No I concur, it was clearly a one off, and since then the service has improved, and we have seen the emergence off GCN+ or whatever it is called now.
    Also at the time, nothing was ad free, that only came in with GCN Racepass/Plus.

I think the amount they are charging is about right, £40 I think it currently is.

I don't have spare time to watch other sports, so much as the idea of watching many other sports on ES player appealed, in reality it simply can't happen for me when I have a full time job, young family, and a cycling dependency to contend with ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Agreed, £40/year is more than fair - I still want a discount though!!!

Curse you jgsi! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver

I'm past making do when it's only a few quid a month.

• TheBigBean

So will you splash out on Eurosport player or GCN? I was happy with Eurosport player.
  • jgsi
    I'll post , if I see the Black Friday discount. My Eurosport lasts until next Flanders, but as it has morphed into Discovery , and costing a whole lot more for Yes to the Dress , I'll be looking to GCN to divvy up a discount.
  • TheBigBean
    It always tricky to find the price for GCN. Maybe it's just me.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

So will you splash out on Eurosport player or GCN? I was happy with Eurosport player.
    I didn't mind ES player - I would watch skiing sometimes, even though I couldn't say I really follow it.

GCN is better for my money though. Some of the extra documentaries are well worth the watch (not all though, some are basically just long GCN Youtube segments). Also coverage seems to have got wider? Certainly seems to be more races on there now.

Only ever had eurosport player. Paid £20 in june, so got the giro before I need to stump up again.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited December 2021
    Looks like it's not happening.
    Just checked and it's still £59-99, which seems to be £20 more for just a name change.

Last year's deal appeared on November 18th......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 452
    Disappointed that they’re not doing it this year.

Full price it is then
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 452
    So, I’m still procrastinating over this.

A lot of negative reviews about the app. How have you guys found it? Consistently good, any issues?

What do you watch it on? Our tv is pretty old so no fancy apps on it, just what comes with Sky Q.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I'm still waiting on any type of offer for GCN+.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I watch it on phone, or cast from phone to tv, or on pc.
    The app itself works well, GCN/Eurosport’s ability to be consistently good with the audio is the problem.
  • TheBigBean
    12 months free on Sky Q

How to get discovery+ on Sky Q/Sky Glass?

To redeem your exclusive gift from Sky VIP just say “get discovery+” into your voice enabled Sky remote and follow the onscreen instructions.
  • daniel_b

I watch it on phone, or cast from phone to tv, or on pc.
    The app itself works well, GCN/Eurosport’s ability to be consistently good with the audio is the problem.

I do this as well, app on my android phone, and then cast to google chromecast plugged into the back of my TV - think a lot of TV's have a direct cast to ability now as well, but I find the chromecast more reliable.

One issue I came across with the app, which frustratingly reared it's head a few times, was when I was watching a race that was on live, but had started watching late and so was maybe an hour behind the live broadcast.

I tried this many times, and probably 75% of the time, as soon as I tried to move to cast it to the TV from my phone, it would default to the current live broadcast, and sometimes completely spoil it for me, as it was pot luck where it would drop in on the live broadcast - there was also no way to get it to rewind back to where you wanted it when it was casting, so I had to revert to phone or laptop to have that ability.

It had certainly worked in the past.

The commentary issues I had seen previously, but having let both my ES player and GCN subs lapse, have not used it for a little while.

I think I will take out a GCN+ sub again though in the New Year - it is pretty good at the end of the day, and if you are a cycle racing fan, it does actually work out at pretty good value imho, especially with the option of advert free racing which is a major win imho.
    Of course if the race you want to watch is 'enhanced' by kirby, you could argue they should be paying you to watch and listed, but that's a whole nother topic :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    The problem you describe with trying to watch as catch up while race is still on is a problem I found a lot last year. As you say it s a real spoiler.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Anyone had a renewal go through for ES player recently?

Ours is coming up soon and is still showing as £40 for the year as opposed to the 60 it's currently priced at. Just wondering if they are honouring the currently listed price or will expect the full price.
  • I would subscribe to GCN+ again if they pulled their finger out and made a Apple TV app (something they've promised since inception) The firestick app is absolutely terrible. Clunky, slow and playback errors all the time.
  • jgsi
    Interesting,, I've left my Paypal to renew at £40 on the 23rd March. Yes, will Eurosport let it renew at 40? who knows..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Mine went out in December at £39.99.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Cheers Pross. Will see what happens here in a week or so, but it gives me hope that it'll remain at £40.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Mine went out in December at £39.99.

I regret turning off auto renew now.
  • jgsi
    edited January 2022
    Thats whay I turned auto renew back on before expiry , it came active again, I pay via Paypal - renews at £39.99
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

I would subscribe to GCN+ again if they pulled their finger out and made a Apple TV app (something they've promised since inception) The firestick app is absolutely terrible. Clunky, slow and playback errors all the time.

^^^This^^^

Mine renewal still shows at £39.99 FWIW.