My more major project to lighten an R8000 disc brake road bike

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    daniel_b said:

Awesome, thankyou @dannbodge I will check those links out.

I guess once I get the garmin to find it, the relevant screen will become available to it.

Which syncro mode do you choose for your setup?

Yeah. it's worth having a play when you get it all.

Honestly I have no idea. It's either semi or none.

The only thing mine stops me using the smallest cogs when in the little chainring and that's it.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    any weight figure as is, dude?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited December 2022
    Just weighed it now, came in at 6.715kg, down from 8.12.

It still has the original saddle on though, but it also needs two supacaz carbon bottle cages, partial bar tape, and pedals of course.

Pedals will take it up to 6.9, bar tape and cages probably a smidge under 7kg - oh and a Garmin mount to go on there too, so hovering around the 7kg mark with pedals, which is what I was aiming for, so pretty happy with that, although not the original route I was planning to take, which was to just lighten the original groupset.

EDIT: Forgot about the swap to the Berk saddle off my CR1 - that's a 80g saddle iirc, versus presumably something around ~250g maybe for the stock one, so it should weight in at around 6.8-6.9 I think with pedals, bar tape, cages and the old saddle.

So I make that a 1200g weight difference, or pretty much a 15% reduction.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    May we ask final cost of the whole thing?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    MattFalle said:

And more importantly let's have some pics.
  • MattFalle
    mrb123 said:

MattFalle said:

And more importantly let's have some pics.
    yes. pics please.

lots of them.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2022
    Cost wise, to me, it will end up at about 6.5k, so not insubstantial by a long way, but it's the colour I wanted, and is now the spec I wanted, and likely to be a bike I keep forever.

if you look at the current Addict RC range, which I believe frame wise is unchanged from mine, to get a bike with the same groupset that weights about half a kilo more, would cost me 9.5k, plus it would not be in a colour scheme I really wanted, so I would not have bought it - aside from the fact that 9.5k on an off the shelf bike would just feel too much to me.

To get an Addict that weighed this much straight from Scott would cost, and I kid you not, 16k - the Addict RC Ultimate :D
    And again, not in a colour I would consider.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    Oooh - kitchen is seriously nice - top work that man.

are they floorboards or tiles?
  • MattFalle
    you are going to slam that stem, yah?
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2022
    Why thankyou!
    Neither I guess, it's engineered wood flooring, tongue and groove stuff, with a bit of underfloor heating thrown in for good measure :)
    MattFalle said:

In time possibly yes - I have a long inseam, and a relatively short torso for my height, so I generally have the saddle up a fairly long way, and combine that with a herniated disc a while back, sometimes they do not go well together, but if possible I will be reducing the number of spacers, but I'll have to give it some time out on the road to see how it feels first of all.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Looks good db
    daniel_b said:

To get an Addict that weighed this much straight from Scott would cost, and I kid you not, 16k - the Addict RC Ultimate :D

That's insane
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2022
    daniel_b said:

Why thankyou!
    Neither I guess, it's engineered wood flooring, tongue and groove stuff, with a bit of underfloor heating thrown in for good measure :)

MattFalle said:

In time possibly yes - I have a long inseam, and a relatively short torso for my height, so I generally have the saddle up a fairly long way, and combine that with a herniated disc a while back, sometimes they do not go well together, but if possible I will be reducing the number of spacers, but I'll have to give it some time out on the road to see how it feels first of all.
    its really nice - people post up pics of blimmin' awful houses or just blandness (look at Giant man's soft furnished hell) but that kitchen is v nice.

u/floor heating is a top choice as well.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2022
    Thanks @veronese68 , and yes agreed, I can't imagine they will sell more than a handful, and only to the extremely rich.
    https://scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-addict-rc-ultimate-bike?article=290355056

@MattFalle we had an extension completed 2 years ago, so a new kitchen was a requirement, actual kitchen sourced through DIY kitchens, at about half the price of a regular kitchen place, and both floor and kitchen fitted by the excellent builder who took the project on.

Back to the bike - I think the wheels are one of my favourite bits, they almost look stock, and I like the lack of any decals, and will almost certainly keep them that way.
    In car terms, a bit of a q car perhaps - this is what the original bike looks like, and I think if you didn't study it in detail you would assume it was original spec.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle

Looks good db

daniel_b said:

That's insane
    more than insane.

but, tbh, its the way its going the a top of the range new Madone is around £15,500 or something stupid.

not a flippin' chance.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2023
    E&L lightweight Thru axles ordered - 49g the pair, for £48.

Reviews are very good - sadly only a 28g saving over the stock ones (As they are pretty light by all accounts), but fancied trying it out, and if I have any issues I will just keep them as spares.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    You goung to get some Fibrelyte chainrings to save some more weight?

V v v cool, nice weight saving.
  • Nice bike Dan and fair play for the time and effort you have spent to get exactly what you were after.

I had noticed that the top spec road bikes from a large number of manufacturers had now topped £15k. Absolutely ridiculous and shows an industry that is taking the proverbial out of consumers.

Interesting to see how this project has shown you can build a top spec bike at a low weight for less than 50% of a factory spec build, if you know what you are doing. Would love to see how bike companies justify their extraordinary price tags in light of this!
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2023
    MattFalle said:

You goung to get some Fibrelyte chainrings to save some more weight?

V v v cool, nice weight saving.

I'll certainly investigate, but will run it with stock chainrings at least to start with, and then can upgrade a bit down the line - haven't yet looked to see what the specific weight savings are, and not sure if they would shift as well as the factory Shimano rings, with the hyperglide and ramps and what have you.
    EDIT: Looks like they have all the ramps etc, and the cost of a 52 and a 36 would be around £210.
    Weight savings across the 2 chainrings would be around 60g only though, stock seems to be around 140, and their recommended version for usability weighs in at about 80g the pair.

Thankyou @MidlandsGrimpeur2 , very kind of you :)

Agreed, the top end prices are ludicrous, it's almost like they are looking for a 'halo' type affair, where they don't expect to sell any, but then joe bloggs will see the next one down, that is nearly as good, but 60% of the price, and then it makes them think it is somehow more justifiable.

I think how little, in comparison, it cost to build my CR1 SL a few years back, all be it with Ultegra 6800, but some £800 wheels, and that weighed in at £2000 pretty much, and that was including full Ritchey carbon finishing kit.
    At the time I remember the off the shelf CR1 SL Dura Ace version with alloy finishing kit, and inferior wheels to mine, was £4500, so mine was less than half price in theory.

With some more reasonable wheels (Zondas/Ksyrium Elites) it would have been more like £1500.

Had I not been dead set on my dream build, SRAM or Ultegra Di2 would have made this far more reasonably priced, but I had my heart set on it, and C2W came along to assist o:)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2023
    Thru axles have arrived and very nice they are too - look well finished, and suitably light.
    As a Thru axle newbie, which parts should I be greasing - just the threads...?

Also have Raceware Direct popping round tomorrow, as he has a garmin mount for the integrated bars and stem for me, and also he's made up a varia rear light mount for the entertainingly named Duncan seatposts that these Scott's use which are D shaped.

He wants to try it for size, and if all is well I'll have 3 of them off him - not a fan of the rubber o ring mount I must be honest, flimsy and the rubber inner part is very easy to lose track of.

He's also made me up a bracket/mounts to replace the seatpost mimic sold by tailfin that is not actually one, as it's straight and not seatpost shaped.......

This one spans across the same two bolt holes at the bottom of the rackbag (replacing the tailfin part), and I asked for a seatpost mimic on the left for a normal light, and a garmin quarter turn on the right, which he has made up, and looks awesome :-)

Apologies, that has gone a bit off topic....

I will weigh the varia mount versus the stock one, not sure which will be lighter, but that wasn't the driver for me!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I'd forgotten about this thread, and just now caught up with the pics. Lovely bike, daniel_b, and the frame looks much nicer in your pics than the stock Scott pics!
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2023
    drhaggis said:

I'd forgotten about this thread, and just now caught up with the pics. Lovely bike, daniel_b, and the frame looks much nicer in your pics than the stock Scott pics!

Cheers @drhaggis, much appreciated :)

Agreed, I often find that the case with Scott press pictures :D

Better that way round I guess!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    I grease the thread and stick a bit round the interface that joins the bike the other side.
  • daniel_b
    Here's the Varia rear mount:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2023
    Finally collected the wrapped bike last Thursday, and this week have fitted the pedals (having changed the blades) bottle cages, supacaz anodised valve caps, new lighter thru axles, and moved the berk saddle and wcs carbon rail clamp over from the CR1.
    The saddle alone was some 170g lighter.

Still not sure if I will get it under 7kg with everything fitted.

All I have left to do, I believe, is to fit garmin mounts and supacaz bar tape - I'll take my time with the latter as I like to get it as near to perfect as I can.

One thing the wrapper recommended, was to fit a chain catcher.

He said to protect the BB area should the chain derail on the inside.

Anyone use these and recommend one?

Our CR1s each came with one (dog fang?) that fitted around the seat tube, where as it seems now they instead come with a longer bolt and fit to the same part as the front derailleur.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    edited June 2023
    I've got a "Token" one on my S-works and the "Prime" one on my Ribble.

Both look and feel the same and mount to the front mech hanger, wouldn't dream of running a carbon bike without one.

https://primebikecomponents.com/products/road-chain-catcher
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2023
    Thanks @dannbodge - looking around I think I have settled on the k-edge pro catcher, as that has a good element of adjustability but critically with the derailleur already locked into the correct position, so you don't need to juggle and try and affix both the derailleur alignment and chain catcher proximity to the chain at the same time.

Nowhere has them currently, but my lbs reckons they can get one next month, so will contact them in due course to get one ordered.

My other two shimano bikes have never shipped a chain on the inside, but my grx bike has, so I may fit one on that as well, as it's also a commuter.

Like this, but in black:

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • dannbodge
    I've never dropped a chain on any of my bikes (all shimano) but for the ~£20 I'd rather not risk it
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951
    edited June 2023
    Looks like you have some competition in the custom Scott bikes arena Dan....

https://bikerumor.com/dangerholm-takes-to-the-road-w-custom-scott-foil-rc-liquid/
  • daniel_b

Looks like you have some competition in the custom Scott bikes arena Dan....

https://bikerumor.com/dangerholm-takes-to-the-road-w-custom-scott-foil-rc-liquid/

lol, yes I'd seen that, not really my cup of tea, but the 2023 Foil is growing on me, but I don't think I will ever desire one - hopefully the next iteration in 2026/2027 might be more to my liking, though for harmony at home and the sake of my bank balance, let's hope that is not the case and they make an absolute minger of a bike.

*Do like the wheels on that bike though.

A tiny bit like the Cero RC55 wheels I was close to ordering a few years back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I like the paintwork, and I do admire the guy's commitment to making each of these one off bikes. Thankfully, I have neither the patience nor the budget to do what he does!

The wheels reminded me a bit of those old Sinergy rev-x which always looked like they would remove your finger if you got too close to a spinning wheel!