CX Season 2021/22 thread...

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited January 2022
    Ben Turner is still riding as well. Interestingly on the Ineos website they make a big thing of TP’s cross season.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    I find it a shame that Tulett gave it up so soon; as he was a double junior World Champion. However, I remember an interview after winning his first in 2018; and his aim even then was a Grand Tour; so it's not a surprise. And it must be said, he's rather slight, and will be a climber - not really your classic CX rider, were loads of watts is the requirement, especially in heavy, muddy conditions.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac
    Nationals weekend; no Tom or Ben Turner who are at the Ineos team camp - so Cameron has an excellent chance to win; his main challenger should be Thomas Mein.

In the women's it looked to be a 3 way fight between Hattie, Anna & Zoe; however she's come down with Covid-19 and obviously won't race. Looking at the conditions, it looks like it will be a mudfest - and that will suit Hattie.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • webboo
    I was watching the Belgian junior championship today on play back on the Eurosport player. When I was dragged out to shops. When I came back and tried to watch it, the race no longer existed anywhere. Not even featuring on the schedule.
    This happen to anyone else.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    No longer showing on my Eurosport app. Juniors was there when I looked this morning to see what was on. A bit odd.

Close run thing for podium places in the Belgian women's race.
  • webboo
    Sandra Cant gave a master class on how to ride through sand today. Apparently she was riding where the junior men were having to run.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    webboo said:

I was watching the Belgian junior championship today on play back on the Eurosport player. When I was dragged out to shops. When I came back and tried to watch it, the race no longer existed anywhere. Not even featuring on the schedule.
    This happen to anyone else.

It's still available on GCN.
  • orraloon
    No spoiler but... guess who won Belgian national men's elite. Impressive.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    orraloon said:

Was it Kevin De Bruyne? That would be impressive.
    Because I won't be finding WVA winning impressive. That's expected
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • orraloon
    RichN95. said:

orraloon said:

Was it Kevin De Bruyne? That would be impressive.
    Because I won't be finding WVA winning impressive. That's expected
    Not Kevin. It was Tintin.
  • webboo
    I see August and Septembers worlds best cross rider didn’t finish.
  • orraloon
    The U23 men's is a good watch. Love that Middelkerke course.
  • andyrac
    French & British courses looked muddy, and brutal......
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I went to the CX Nationals at Ardingly, it was amazing. Dragged the family along, they enjoyed it too, first time for all of us. Heard a couple of racers at the finish line saying it was tough, I think they would know! Another contact said on Insta it was the best atmosphere he'd ever experienced at a UK bike event.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836

• andyrac
    Looked a real power course, which might explain the results in both Elite races.
  • andyrac
    Penultimate round of the World Cup, in Flamanville, Normandy; quite a few of the top riders are missing.
  • orraloon
    Women's race today in Flamanville well good.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    BC sending a strong team to Arkansas for the Worlds.

• andyrac
    Yes, not a bad team; four riders with definite medal hopes; with Pidcock & Backstedt sure to go close to Golds.

And it could be said, that our best female CX rider hasn't even ridden in a race this season, so obviously isn't going.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Interesting course.
    Not technical enough for Pidcock methinks but the absence of WvA and MvdP opens a door. Though Pidcock was quick on the quick Hulst(?).
    One for the out and out power riders: Vantootinghuts/Aerts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1OoE-lazw
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Rain is going to play a huge part. If it's a wet one...
  • andyrac
    Hermans won the World Cup in October, when it was wet, and muddy, however he seems to have lost that form. If it's really heavy, then Toon Aerts is probably the favourite.
    Similarly, Brand is the favourite, and if conditions are drier, then Vos can't be ruled out. Honsinger really needs it to be a mudbath otherwise top 10 is her best hope.
  • I agree with Andyrac, if conditions are wet then Aerts is a huge favourite. If its drier (even if it's muddy but dry) the Tom has a chance.

Of course Eli is in such good form he could smoke everyone
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Conditions in Fayetteville Arkansas currently snow -5. Ground likely to be frozen.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

Conditions in Fayetteville Arkansas currently snow -5. Ground likely to be frozen.

Unless there's a thick covering of snow, it will be a very fast course.

Vos blew everyone away on Sunday but Brand had won the day before and was probably not as fresh.
    It would be good to see Brand win the CXWC: merit for her season's labour.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Biggest influence at the moment, for the girls at least, is who will be on the start line and who in isolation...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    ddraver said:

Biggest influence at the moment, for the girls at least, is who will be on the start line and who in isolation...

What's the gen?
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    I haven't seen much of the course but I don't think those huge steps will suit either Eli or Pidcock, though I think on a fast course both hold an advantage of Toon who needs some mud for the big diesel type efforts?

I'd really like to see Vos take the womens.
  • andyrac
    It's hard to see Vos not winning; on fast courses (which become almost a road race) she has something up her sleeve. Her only kryptonite is heavy mud courses, and/or very technical courses.
    It's very likely to be another Dutch podium lock out; for the best of the rest it's likely to be Vas, and Cycling News are talking up Honsinger, but she's done nothing of note on fast courses.

As for the men, well, a fast race could be tactical, especially with a strong Belgian team; will be interesting to see how much effect that long-ish climb has on the race. I still think Pidcock is the most likely winner, but he has to race smart, and no mistakes...

For the sport, you'd probably like to see the regular CX riders win the titles - so you see the rainbow jersey all season long.