CX Season 2021/22 thread...

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    End of season for MvdP; so won't defend the World title. It's not the biggest surprise really. One wonders why he didn't have a proper rest after he couldn't do the MTB Worlds - but came back for the Road Worlds & PR....and wasn't 100%....and still has issues.

Let him recover properly, and return when he's ready; no rushing him back for spring classics, unless he's okay.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    I will defend Rob, though I have happened to have had a decent chat with him after one of the early live cycling podcast shows and he was a top bloke, so perhaps I am biased.
  • andyrac
    He's that rarity, a British sports commentator who wants/tries to pronounce foreign names correctly.......Scottish football commentator Derek Rae is another - and also gets criticised for doing so.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,534
    Van Aert not going to the Worlds in USA.
    Looks like Pidcock V Iserbyt V Toon Aerts for the rainbows to me
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac
    Depends on the course conditions; if it's like it was in October, wet with heavy mud sections, then Toon has a great chance. If it's faster, then Tom is a strong favourite.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,534
    andyrac said:

Depends on the course conditions; if it's like it was in October, wet with heavy mud sections, then Toon has a great chance. If it's faster, then Tom is a strong favourite.

Yeah, there's a course preview of it in dry conditions where it looks super fast though not very technical, but the cup race in October looked far from ideal for Pidcock
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • I like him on the road, 100%. But cross seems to be by his own admission not his thing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited January 2022

That opens it up a little. Do the US have any contenders, male or female, young or old?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Lots, probably, none of them competitive with Iserbyt or Pidcock though.

The scene remains pretty vibrant over there but I suspect there are rather a few p1ssed off sponsors with neither of the big boys going now. They've made a bit of a habit of it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrac
    Yeah, Walmart have title sponsorship of the event, probably expected them both to turn up. Has shades of MvdP in 2019 not going to the MTB Worlds in Monte St Anne when he was the favourite; opting instead for the Road Worlds.....and that backfired.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

Why isn’t Van Aert going?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    How many people who Walmart are targeting will have ever heard of either of them? Why would it make any difference to them?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    gsk82 said:

How many people who Walmart are targeting will have ever heard of either of them? Why would it make any difference to them?

Apparently Wout and Mathew model onesies over in the states.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Back on topic 😊 while catching up on the Brand / van Aert show today. Has Marty McFly got binned off the GCN / Eurosport commentary? Given the boxxox I heard on the mics on / no live pics back at the weekend. Paraphrasing: production team all l3sbians, trans protests coming today....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    gsk82 said:

Walmart maybe less so but I think the other sponsors cough up to get the cream of the crop over in the US.

This is (at least) twice now that the cream of the crop have not made the crossing.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    JimD666 said:

pinno said:

Any news on Amy Pieters?

Nothing from the team since the 27th. Still being kept in an induced coma as far as I can tell.
    Tough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/59886146
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    orraloon said:

JimD666 said:

pinno said:

Any news on Amy Pieters?

Nothing from the team since the 27th. Still being kept in an induced coma as far as I can tell.
    Tough.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/59886146
    Hopefully she'll pull through ok.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    andyrac said:

Yeah, Walmart have title sponsorship of the event, probably expected them both to turn up. Has shades of MvdP in 2019 not going to the MTB Worlds in Monte St Anne when he was the favourite; opting instead for the Road Worlds.....and that backfired.

Being in the lead group coming into the final hour of the road world's is probably still bigger exposure than winning the MTB worlds, tbf.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,085
    I wonder why the rainbow stripes isn't enough pull for WvA despite the event being held across the pond.
    He says he is focusing on the classics but the first monument; M-SR is not until the 19th of March and the WC's are on the 30th Jan. That's over 6 weeks.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    pinno said:

I wonder why the rainbow stripes isn't enough pull for WvA despite the event being held across the pond.
    He says he is focusing on the classics but the first monument; M-SR is not until the 19th of March and the WC's are on the 30th Jan. That's over 6 weeks.

It seems to be purely winter training for WvA this year. I reckon mvdp would've gone if he was fit.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pinno
    gsk82 said:

pinno said:

It seems to be purely winter training for WvA this year. I reckon mvdp would've gone if he was fit.
    It leaves the door open for Pidcock. How would Tom feel about winning a World's in the absence of the strongest 2 - 1 of them for no real reason other than cba to travel too far from frites and mayonnaise land?
    WvA's absence from the world's and the pick n mix entrance to races diminishes the status of Cyclo cross.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    pinno said:

gsk82 said:

pinno said:

It leaves the door open for Pidcock. How would Tom feel about winning a World's in the absence of the strongest 2 - 1 of them for no real reason other than cba to travel too far from frites and mayonnaise land?
    WvA's absence from the world's and the pick n mix entrance to races diminishes the status of Cyclo cross.

Using Cyclo cross purely for a spot of winter training certainly diminishes the sport. Becoming a 4 time world champion doesn’t have much appeal. Shame.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    pinno said:

gsk82 said:

pinno said:

You can only beat those riders who turn up on the day and, if Pidcock wins, then I'm sure he'll be very happy with his achievement.

Cyclocross has always been the bridesmaid to road racing, and it has been used as a stepping stone to a pro road career by dozens of riders. I don't see how that happening now diminishes the status of the sport. Both MVDP and WvA are established leaders in their road teams now, and that has always meant that they will decrease their involvement in cyclocross as they have bigger, more rewarding goals on the road.
  • webboo
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

gsk82 said:

pinno said:

Using Cyclo cross purely for a spot of winter training certainly diminishes the sport. Becoming a 4 time world champion doesn’t have much appeal. Shame.
    It makes me wonder why he’s turning up for the Belgian championship this weekend.
    Could it be that he has a contract to compete in the cross races he’s done so far this season. I don’t think anyone gets start money for the worlds.
  • andyrac
    edited January 2022
    You win the World title, you deserve it. Not your fault people haven't turned up, whether it's injury or another reason. Pidcock missed the MTB Worlds though riding the Vuelta, as did MvdP through injury; Schurter doesn't have a disclaimer next to his name to devalue his win. It's now possible Pidcock benefits from this......

However, there is an issue with the sport; too many non Belgian youngsters leave before going to the Elites; where are the top French, Italian, Swiss for example? Gone to the road, or MTB. The current 2x Road World Champion was a top junior, as was Sagan, etc there's a whole list of them.
  • RichN95.
    andyrac said:

However, there is an issue with the sport; too many non Belgian youngsters leave before going to the Elites; where are the top French, Italian, Swiss for example? Gone to the road, or MTB. The current 2x Road World Champion was a top junior, as was Sagan, etc there's a whole list of them.

They're not lost to the sport as a whole though, and they could dip back in if they want. But the truth is that cycling is people's living and only a few are making good money from Cross. It's the same with track. It's a niche area of the sport, like Rugby Sevens or Cross Country Running.
  • pinno
    So the WvA's, the MvdP's and even Pidcock are using Cyclo cross for training purposes whilst others commit to a full season of CX? Then go get fit in Majorca/Tenerife and leave the committed to fight it out amongst themselves.
    How many competitors go into a race where WvA, Pidcock and MvdP are present thinking that at best they might get a podium or a hollow series overall victory? It's hardly motivating and it would be even less motivating for those from other parts of Europe, the rest of the world given the domination of the Belgians and Dutch. They need to see victories by non Belgian/Dutch riders to be enticed into the sport or want to travel.
    [If the UCI is serious about developing CX as a global sport].
  • andyrac
    RichN95. said:

andyrac said:

They're not lost to the sport as a whole though, and they could dip back in if they want. But the truth is that cycling is people's living and only a few are making good money from Cross. It's the same with track. It's a niche area of the sport, like Rugby Sevens or Cross Country Running.
    Well once they've left for a road team, it's unlikely their road team will want them returning to CX; there is still old school thinking that winter is not the time for intense activity. Despite commentators telling us CX is good for a road campaign, the evidence suggests it's not quite true,
  • webboo
    There is an interview with Ben Tulett in cycling weelkly who has signed for Ineos saying he has given up cross earlier than TP because he wants to develop as a grand tour rider.
  • RichN95.
    webboo said:

There is an interview with Ben Tulett in cycling weelkly who has signed for Ineos saying he has given up cross earlier than TP because he wants to develop as a grand tour rider.

The difference though is Pidcock was very good, very quickly at cross/MTB. Tulett would probably need a little more time to develop - time he feels would be better spent on the road.