CX Season 2021/22 thread...

Comments

• ddraver said:

Facebook reminds me I was in Koksijde a few years ago. Wonder what happened to these 2 youthful fellas...

(not the best photo, hands were still shaking from the 6 day hangover 🥴)

Is that a hangover that lasted 6 days or a hangover from watching the Ghent 6 day

Although I understand they're not mutually exclusive
  • The Besancon WC was great tbf, a real duel. Part of me is hoping the big 3 dont come in and spoil everyone else's fun

Antwerp apparently cancelled due to Covid , and Namur may be in danger as it comes just after the restrictions are reviewed
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    No commentary again on the Eurosport player today but you get to hear the racket the bikes make.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    webboo said:

No commentary again on the Eurosport player today but you get to hear the racket the bikes make.

Disc brakes are now ruining viewers enjoyment. Yesterday's result was pretty ominous. WvA looked really big.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    In those really heavy conditions, you need power, and lots of it ; in both races, the riders with the most power won. It's that simple. It almost becomes a ITT; and Wout is one of the best in the world. Look at Dendermonde last season, he put nearly 3 mins into MvdP.

If we see more of those conditions/courses, then it's hard to see the others getting anywhere near Wout & Lucinda.

Personally, I'm not a massive fan of the really heavy cross races; they're all about power, and very little technical skills; they resemble 3m chases in horse racing on heavy ground with horses finishing legless......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    andyrac said:

In those really heavy conditions, you need power, and lots of it ; in both races, the riders with the most power won. It's that simple. It almost becomes a ITT; and Wout is one of the best in the world. Look at Dendermonde last season, he put nearly 3 mins into MvdP.

If we see more of those conditions/courses, then it's hard to see the others getting anywhere near Wout & Lucinda.

Personally, I'm not a massive fan of the really heavy cross races; they're all about power, and very little technical skills; they resemble 3m chases in horse racing on heavy ground with horses finishing legless......

I was in agreement with you, until that last paragraph. Yesterday's race was a lot about power, but if you don't have the technical skills to ride in conditions like that, you'll never be in a position to use your power. Van Aert is expert in heavy conditions, partly due to the amount of power he can put through the pedals, but he also has the technical skills to be able to corner and descend in the same conditions. That was key yesterday.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Is MvdP better technically than WVA?

I've always wondered what actually makes him better? Even on the road; WVA is considered a top 3 ITT rider, a top 3-5 sprinter and a better climber than MvdP, so how come MvdP tends to win most of their head to head duels (in CX as well as on the road)?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • andyrac
    Hmm, I'm not sure about that; he's never been know to be excellent technically - his skills are adequate, but his massive engine and his running is were he gains his time.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac
    m.r.m. said:

Is MvdP better technically than WVA?

I've always wondered what actually makes him better? Even on the road; WVA is considered a top 3 ITT rider, a top 3-5 sprinter and a better climber than MvdP, so how come MvdP tends to win most of their head to head duels (in CX as well as on the road)?

He's in another league technically; you don't win/podium in XCO World Cup races if you're not. And he's got better since he went racing XC MTB - he had to. I can recall a few occasions in 2017/18 were he crashed as he was struggling to keep up; Nove Mesto 2018 chasing Schurter. Like quite a lot of the top MTB guys, he's often seen on a Motocross bike.....good for the hand/eye co-ordination, bike handling.

He tends to make up time in and out of corners, carrying more speed, and accelerating out of them; a few tenths here and there, soon adds up.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,085
    edited December 2021
    andyrac said:

Wout; no but Brand; yes.

...because in both the Super prestige and World cup series, neither WvA, MvdP and our intrepid short @ss Tom P. are only doing a select number of events, so they won't win the overall.
    Whereas, Brand is doing them week in, week out.

Incidentally, she was fined for impeding Alvarado during a pit stop in Boom.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andyrac
    I meant in one off races, not in a series.......I thought it was obvious that they can't win any classification series, as they only so a dozen races.
  • Was it mentioned anywhere how Tom Pidcock kept his Jersey so clean?

I know they spoke about it on commentary but that was some kind of witchcraft
  • pinno

Was it mentioned anywhere how Tom Pidcock kept his Jersey so clean?

I know they spoke about it on commentary but that was some kind of witchcraft

Magic mud-be-gone-spray.

Is it something to do with this modern new fangled fabric?
    When I were a lad, we had knitted leg warmers and a bin liner for yer t' keep dry.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Am I the only one that looks at that video and thinks that it is covered in mud on the bits that hit the ground.... He keeps his head and upper body up so that bit isn't caked in mud... it's not rocket science folks!
  • pinno
    dish_dash said:

Am I the only one that looks at that video and thinks that it is covered in mud on the bits that hit the ground.... He keeps his head and upper body up so that bit isn't caked in mud... it's not rocket science folks!

Sceptic.
  • m.r.m.
    It's made out of MvdP's Paris-Roubaix shoe cover.
  • pinno
    edited December 2021
    Can't say I enjoyed the Ethias cross yesterday. Bit of a dull up and down up and down mud fest and a long single track to link it all up.
    Today may be quite the contrast in snow.

I'm sorry if I am critical of the aesthetic but WW1 scenes aren't much fun to look at. I wish there weren't so many contrived courses. I would prefer events where the terrain dictates (to a greater extent).

My sentiments don't diminish the effort required nor a 17 year old's win in any shape or form.
  • andyrac
    No, I agree. I'm a CX fan, who isn't mad about heavy, mud courses, I don't think they're a great watch - and often remind me of long distance chases in horse racing on heavy ground; with horses walking across the line legless.

I do think far too many courses are all about power - we don't see enough technical or climbing courses; enabling different riders to shine.

However, today is different, and hopefully exciting; a World Cup on snow, in Val di Sole. At first the photos made the course seem a bit flat; but it looks good, and a skilled rider should do well. Sadly, a few of the top names haven't turned up.....

One hopes we see a few more snow World Cups, and this isn't just a token gesture - if they want Olympic recognition, the IOC won't be fooled by one race on snow.
  • pinno
    andyrac said:

I do think far too many courses are all about power - we don't see enough technical or climbing courses; enabling different riders to shine.

This ^.

The Euro championship course was good.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Just watched the Val di Sole snowy one. That WvA is just such a machine. Super impressive, as pros used to say.

Reminds me when I was at the finish of the last stage of Tour of Britain on Aberdeen beach, 250-300m from the line, they went past me right there at F knows how fast and WvA was in behind there like he was cruising before he opened up to take it.

So where is MvdP?
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Did Eurosport sort the commentary out on the mens race? Could only hear one side of the conversation between commentators on the womens.
  • dish_dash said:

It was a magic jersey.

The square race number pocket was plastered in mud; all round the edge of it was clean. Wheelspray isn't that precisely aimed.
  • pinno
    edited December 2021
    orraloon said:

Just watched the Val di Sole snowy one. That WvA is just such a machine. Super impressive, as pros used to say.

Another watts per kg course as we have argued so far. The course wasn't that technical. Not that I am suggesting WvA wouldn't have faired equally well on a technical course. Would prefer them more technical, like Leuven. In fact, the men's and women's event at Leuven has stood out in this seasons' calendar for me.
    orraloon said:

So where is MvdP?

Working out what courses to do at what stage to peak for the World CX championship.
    Not fair on the Vantouringhowts and the Iserbyt's and the Herman's and the Van Aerts's really. I think the only way to mitigate this selective would be to obligate riders to a minimum number of events before allowing them to do the World CX but I think that is unworkable (and unfair given it's on national teams) and the Belgians and Dutch would riot.
    Plus - MvdP and WvA draw in the crowds.

Would/does Iserbyt feel like an overall win in the Superpresitge or World cup (or any rider for that matter) is a hollow victory?

• andyrac
    Have to agree; it was another watts/kg course; Wout just rode away....I was hoping it would be more technical, and make things closer, but it wasn't to be. His only weakness, is the technical side - he's not as good as some of the others, but his power makes up on most courses.

As I've said before, Pidcock is far more suited to MTB, as he gets courses with climbs, and technical features, which is his strength; pure power isn't going to favour him.

The women's was a lot more interesting, and the course probably had different conditions; Van Empel is one of the best technical riders (does MTB in the summer) and put the skills to good use - and won her first Elite World Cup. Vos made a huge effort on the final lap, and probably pushed it too far while sending it up the inside two corners from the end.

This weekend sees a 'double header'; Rucphen & the classic Namur course. Looks like MvdP has postponed his return due to his knee injury.
  • m.r.m.
    andyrac said:

Looks like MvdP has postponed his return due to his knee injury.

While I'm sure this is true, there was a video on instagram showing him casually riding 55 km/h.
  • webboo said:

Same on GCN.

For the snowcross it was actually quite nice to enjoy the ambient atmosphere. Aside from, as others have added, the terrible noise of the disc brakes.
  • pinno

webboo said:

Same on GCN.

For the snowcross it was actually quite nice to enjoy the ambient atmosphere. Aside from, as others have added, the terrible noise of the disc brakes.
    The American chappie adds a bit to the commentary. Without him, fish face wossisname is PITA. In fact, he's just a PITA. He runs out of things to say (they don't have to fill every second), and then go through the standings right the way down the list, many times during a race.
    That may be nice for Joe Nobody's relations watching in the Solomon Islands who's off the back but for me, it gets wearysome.
  • andyrac
    Would be nice if they would actually sent somebody to the venue for interviews, some tech chat, etc
    The world feed is far too 'Belgian centric' for a supposed World Cup; they need to watch how Red Bull do the MTB World Cup.....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    edited December 2021
    andyrac said:

Would be nice if they would actually sent somebody to the venue for interviews, some tech chat, etc

They do, they've had Iris Slappendel doing pre- and post-race interviews with the main riders at a lot of the World Cups.