The End Of Campagnolo?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    he wants to fettle his rear mech then.

it seems a huge case of operator error.

i use Record and its wonderful.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    He does but it doesn’t stay fettled.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    webboo said:

He does but it doesn’t stay fettled.

Most likely a cable issue, or the cassette is not on correctly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    it seems he be clueless then and should take it someone who isn't then never, ever, ever touch anything again.
  • webboo
    MattFalle said:

it seems he be clueless then and should take it someone who isn't then never, ever, ever touch anything again.

I never heard of any of the aircraft he used fettle falling out of the sky. I will tell him to sell his very successful bike shop when I see him later this week. ;)
  • MattFalle
    good. if he can't get a rear mech to work properly then all he is doing is selling inefficiency. Or give it to one of his mechanics to have a go when they can spare 10 mins from his hugely succesful bicycle empire.

seems this fabled engineering wizard may have failings, single handled fettler of flying machines or not......
  • webboo
    Or just maybe not every thing Campag make is perfect.
  • I’ll translate. What he’s trying to say is that your ‘friend’ is hopeless, and there’s a high probability you’re talking sh1te.

• MattFalle
    your "friend" doesn't also have a cargo bike does he?
  • MattFalle

I’ll translate. What he’s trying to say is that your ‘friend’ is hopeless, and there’s a high probability you’re talking sh1te.

or this.

most probably this.
  • MattFalle
    actually, totally that.

aviation mechanic genius turned bicycle shop entrepreneurial legend fails to make pro spec grand tour winning rear mech work properly.

who'd a thunk it, eh....
  • webboo
    Ok MF you convinced me I should have never doubted that Campag could make something slightly duff.
    I will repeat this to myself as a mantra when riding my fishing gear equipped bike tomorrow.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

Ok MF you convinced me I should have never doubted that Campag could make something slightly duff.
    I will repeat this to myself as a mantra when riding my fishing gear equipped bike tomorrow.

Tell him to send the duff stuff my way.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    webboo said:

Or just maybe not every thing Campag make is perfect.

No mechanical groupset is immune to a sticky cable or a bent gear hanger.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

if its duff, change it to a new mech - this aviation genius bicycle emporium owning "friend" shouldn't have an issue given his vast recources.

strange that he can't seem to solve the issue whereas thousands of people have no issues....

strange strange strange..... its almost like the "friend" doesn't teally exist......
  • MattFalle
    Your "friend" - he didn't once fight a pub full of people did he?
  • webboo
    For someone who’s job is fixing people, you seem to take against folk very quickly even when you’ve never met them.
  • MattFalle
    Has anyone ever met your "friend"?

• webboo
    If you are ever up in Yorkshire I will take you in to shop. Where you will probably at least get a coffee, you might even get some discount on stuff you buy. Or we could on on a ride with him and Olly the farmer, Rich the sheep shearer/ mobile slaughter man, Paul the retired banker/ donkey fosterer and Paul the retired railway engineer.
  • MattFalle
    Yorkshiiiiiire? Don't they all talk funny there, see?
  • webboo
    Several different types of funny depends on which bit you live in.
  • Best thing about the thumbe shifter is whilst sitting upright on top of bars my little finger just reaches out and changes and thts with 44cm bars and not huge hands. Lets not forget Shimano used to have a thumb shifter on 2300 (maybe Tourney still does?), super reliable it was too. Big gap now from Centaur to Chorus, they should have kept Potenza if only for the disc option. Maybe a Centaur disc to come. Oh and lose that matt black on the Centaur cranks, yuk. Me, I just keep buying up Potenza stuff of eBay, should see me out.
  • DeVlaeminck
    What is the current mechanical line up - is Chorus just 12 speed now?
  • pblakeney

What is the current mechanical line up - is Chorus just 12 speed now?

Yes.
    You need to drop to Centaur for 11 speed.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    Thanks.
  • MattFalle
    edited January 2022

Best thing about the thumbe shifter is whilst sitting upright on top of bars my little finger just reaches out and changes and thts with 44cm bars and not huge hands. Lets not forget Shimano used to have a thumb shifter on 2300 (maybe Tourney still does?), super reliable it was too. Big gap now from Centaur to Chorus, they should have kept Potenza if only for the disc option. Maybe a Centaur disc to come. Oh and lose that matt black on the Centaur cranks, yuk. Me, I just keep buying up Potenza stuff of eBay, should see me out.

thing is, loads of people don't care a fig about disc or electronic, so the more mechanical/rim options thrre are the better.

black cranks and groupsets are also a necessity alongside silver.
  • elbowloh said:

slowmart said:

Shimano reliable, well manufactured with strong product design behind them
    sram, IMHO , not as robust or the product design of the above.
    Campagnolo, I get what they do and there seems to be a rich vein of riders who appreciate the design, beauty and functionality of their kit whilst willing to pay a premium over Shimano.

I doubt Campag shareholders are lying awake at night wondering what the competition are doing. They have a strong product line and a wealth of in house expertise for future development.

I have Chorus 12 and Ultegra mechanical groupsets.

When I bought the Chorus set it was significantly less than Ultegra and imo, functions better.
    Funny. I have both. The Ultegra has only one gear change on the upshift, Chorus you can do 1 - 5 gear changes and combine front and mech changes for a smooth transition when dropping the front mech. None of that is available on Ultegra as it has one slow, comparatively poor gear change that you can't combine with the front mech. The modulation on the Chorus braking is much better. The design of the Ultegra hoods was shockingly poor, massive blocks of square plastic. The Ultegra shredded cables.

So how that all adds up to less .......... no idea. Price is the issue. If I hadn't experienced Chorus and how much better it is, then I'd stick with Ultegra as it does a good job and is just easier to own.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I've only had SRAM on my bikes.
    I've got both mechanical and electronic.
    I've ridden a SHIMANO on hire bikes and it was OK but not my preference.
    Be interested in trying Campag but can't see it happening.
  • On the Campag' debate. They did do the 'our disc levers are only 5% bigger than our non-disc levers'. Very true but only because they increased the size of the 12 speed non-disc levers. However, the increased thumb button means everyone can reach it. I find it an odd debate though, the inner Shimano lever has to be pushed a long long way across to get one change. The Campy' lever, whilst doing the opposite can do 5 gear changes for the same push. The button is super easy and again can do 1 - 5 changes instantly so is the fastest gear change in the industry. 5 to me I thought was not needed, 3 means Ultra Shift works you can drop or up change the front mech and the rear mech at the same time with zero change in cadence ...... it is an incredible piece of engineering. Do you need it? No. But once you know it and use it, losing it and using Shimano is an annoying down grade. Last point, I am just getting into 'gravel' which actually means muddy rides in Kent and Sussex. Five gear changes on one lever is fucking useful as every muddy rise means rapid gear changes are great.

I have Campy and Ultegra Di2. They are both great and my Di2 is so good on the fastest setting. But, Ulrtashift is indeed ultra and just that little bit better. You can change with 12 speed 5 gears or 11 speed 3 gears instantly. That means as you hit a climb you can change front and rear mech without any change in cadence. So when you are used to using Ultrashift and it's instinctive there is no better system. It does not mean Ultegra is bad, we are talking marginal improvements. But if we'd stopped doing marginal improvements then we'd all still be riding steel bikes with down tube shifters. Campy Chorus/R/Sr is slightly better mechanically and faster than electric ... whatever brand.

So this is not anti-Shimano, that is silly 105 is the greatest groupset because it works so well and is phenomenal value. But, there is a small Italian company that has worked tirelessly to make the most fluid, smooth bicycle gear system. They have nailed it and it is the pinacle of manual groupesets ...... marginally.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    I don't understand the argument about being able to quickly dump gears. In reality, the speed of shifting is limited by rotation of the cassette wrt the chain. And you can easily shift fast enough with shimano.

Also, I ride a campag on some of the UKs most sudden terrain (Dartmoor) and I still haven't found a gradient change severe enough to require 5 shifts in one go. I've only ever used it after coasting downhill for a while.

So the disadvantage of not being able to reach the thumb lever with my thumb, when my hand is in the position I want it for 99% of the time is a bit of an issue and rather outweighs the advantage conveyed by the longer ratchet throw.