Afghanistan

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,571
    “To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive,” the president said. “We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay.”
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Thank you for pointing that out although he didn't need to say it as its totes obvs.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2021
    More interestingly though it looks like a civil war could be brewing between ISIS, Taliban and the resistance. The only compelling things for the locals about the Taliban are peace and less corruption. If they can't offer the former, then they will be even more unpopular.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Taliban? Peace?

What you on about Willis?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    edited August 2021
    If the Taliban do establish control of the state what are the chances that IsisK will be a popular focus for opposition.

I could be wrong but I can't imagine people thinking these Taliban mob are too soft - what we need are fewer freedoms for women, a stricter interpretation of Shariah Law and ideally make the country a centre for world wide jihad again so we remain a target for reprisals.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Can't quite get my head around the Pen Farthing animal rescue flight.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612

If Covid wasn't bad enough, we'll now have a rabies outbreak to deal with.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

“To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive,” the president said. “We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay.”
    I wonder how he is planning to hunt down suicide bombers. He is pretty old mind.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    MattFalle said:

Taliban? Peace?

What you on about Willis?

It’s ‘what you talking ‘ bout, Willis?’

#badquote
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904

If the rescued dogs have puppys and he sells them at UK prices then he'll make a nice profit.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Those are 2020 figures, so what relevance to the current situation?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,630

Was going to say. Assuming the 15,000 figure is accurate for evacuation in the last couple of weeks then that tweet can't be correct.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    What could make this disaster even worse?
    Some poorly targeted drone strikes?
    Great let's do that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    edited August 2021
    rjsterry said:

Great let's do that.

That was always going to happen. More high profile this time, but it's been going on for a long time.

For clarity that doesn't excuse it, but this is an army that bombed an MSF hospital for a sustained period of time.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Great let's do that.

That was always going to happen. More high profile this time, but it's been going on for a long time.

For clarity that doesn't excuse it, but this is an army that bombed an MSF hospital for a sustained period of time.
    All true. Just makes Biden's promises of revenge for the IsisK bombing even more grotesque.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Great let's do that.

All true. Just makes Biden's promises of revenge for the IsisK bombing even more grotesque.
    He's still done nothing to my knowledge about Guantanamo Bay.
  • john80

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Great let's do that.

Would you want those inmates rehabilitated in your street. I am sure they are a good bunch of lads.
  • TheBigBean
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Great let's do that.

Would you want those inmates rehabilitated in your street. I am sure they are a good bunch of lads.
    Better that than living in a society that accepts state abduction, torture and indefinite detention without trial.
  • DeVlaeminck
    There's only ~4% of the original inmates left at Guantanamo - the ones the USA consider very dangerous but that they don't think they could prosecute.

I don't have a simple solution to that. It seems like just releasing them would lead to at least a number returning to their jihad and innocent people will die at their hands.

Biden has promised to close it down so we'll see what his solution is.

• There's only ~4% of the original inmates left at Guantanamo - the ones the USA consider very dangerous but that they don't think they could prosecute.

I don't have a simple solution to that. It seems like just releasing them would lead to at least a number returning to their jihad and innocent people will die at their hands.

I am all for shooting the bad guy but if you don’t know he he is the bad guy then locking him up and torturing him for ever more just seems wrong.

Acknowledging that what you are doing is unlawful by doing it somewhere that your laws do not apply is very wrong.
  • TheBigBean
    One of the worst aspects is the way they interfere with the legal system citing national security to prevent any legal cases.
  • TheBigBean

There's only ~4% of the original inmates left at Guantanamo - the ones the USA consider very dangerous but that they don't think they could prosecute.

I'm sure an argument could be made that [Trump] was a danger to the world, but locking him up without trial was not a solution.

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    edited August 2021

For France those are the 2019 figures for asylum claims for afghan nationals in the period 2014-2019. That excludes afghan nationals who are not asylum seekers: family reunion, marriage, passport granted as they worked for the French army etc.

At 1st Jan 2020 there were around 44 000 afghan refugees claiming or having received asylum in France since 2014. That excludes a considerable number of non declared arrivals (a lot at Calais waiting to cross to the UK).
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • DeVlaeminck

I'm sure an argument could be made that [Trump] was a danger to the world, but locking him up without trial was not a solution.

I'm not saying it was acceptable to imprison 800 people indefinitely without trial but where we are now - would you just release the last 50 or so - presumably and according to the US these include the most dangerous - and let them return to killing innocent people.

I don't have an easy solution.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,590
    edited August 2021

I'm not saying it was acceptable to imprison 800 people indefinitely without trial but where we are now - would you just release the last 50 or so - presumably and according to the US these include the most dangerous - and let them return to killing innocent people.

Put them on trial?

TBF, Americans imprisons more of its population than any other society in the the world and because of their weird justice system they have this weird settup where there are thousands and thousands of people behind bars for months or even years who have not been on trial - "waiting" for it to happen.

So it is not like they don't do it to their own people too. But the focus surely should be on gathering evidence to convict. If they are sure enough they should be locked up in Guantanamo Bay, they should be able to prove that in court.
  • TheBigBean

Yes, if there is no evidence that a criminal prosecution would be successful. I'd also be allowing them to sue for compensation and looking to prosecute the torturers.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Any idea what 4% is in absolute numbers?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

Any idea what 4% is in absolute numbers?
    https://www.closeguantanamo.org/Prisoners
  • john80

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Great let's do that.

Better that than living in a society that accepts state abduction, torture and indefinite detention without trial.
    The funny thing about this is that I am pretty sure it was not jus their neighbour grassing the up for being a terrorist that got the this particular prison. We lock people up in mental hospitals. Should we let them all out as let's face it they are probably as mental as your average fundamentalist.