Olympics All Format Spoiler Thread

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I do think any of the "major" sports which have their own tournaments should use a different format - 5 aside football, 7 aside rugby, pitch and putt etc etc.

Swimming - 3/4 of the events can go, basically keep the real swimming stroke and chin the others off but I'll compromise by allowing in a number of longer distance events. And by longer distance I mean something like 400m, 800m 5000m 10000m. We don't need the 50m, 60m, 70m, 80m, 90m and 100m varients which the same person wins each time.

Anything judged on artistic interpretation or subjective scoring - gone, so that will free up some spaces.

Anything which has become a ridiculous parody of itself - gone. (I'm particularly looking at TKD and fencing but archery is on the list as well)

Once all that's implemented then we'll see where we're at but I reckon that'll pretty much be the Olympics fixed.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,568
    I enjoyed going to a winter Olympics, so I can recommend that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    jam1e said:

I do think any of the "major" sports which have their own tournaments should use a different format - 5 aside football, 7 aside rugby, pitch and putt etc etc.

Swimming - 3/4 of the events can go, basically keep the real swimming stroke and chin the others off but I'll compromise by allowing in a number of longer distance events. And by longer distance I mean something like 400m, 800m 5000m 10000m. We don't need the 50m, 60m, 70m, 80m, 90m and 100m varients which the same person wins each time.

Anything judged on artistic interpretation or subjective scoring - gone, so that will free up some spaces.

Anything which has become a ridiculous parody of itself - gone. (I'm particularly looking at TKD and fencing but archery is on the list as well)

Once all that's implemented then we'll see where we're at but I reckon that'll pretty much be the Olympics fixed.

Can’t bin off gymnastics! Sacrilege
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

jam1e said:

It is a hugely impressive athletic endeavour, but so are the feats of circus acrobats.

If it were me I'd bin off every event with style marks. Arguably that would include boxing.

This may not be a mainstream view.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    edited August 2021

jam1e said:

Agreed. It's the anomaly on judged sports, the athletes demonstrate all the requirements of sporting prowess but just can't be judged using an objective measure.

That said, in most judged sports it is rare for there to be wide discrepancies in scores which suggests they are being fairly measured.

I also generally believe that if a single athlete can win more than three medals (individual or team) then that sport has too many similar events but gymnastics is again the anomaly. There is a lot of difference between the skills on individual pieces of apparatus and it is only the real greats that can take medals on many.

Strange thing is I probably only started paying interest in gymnastics at the Olympics in 2012 and even now wouldn't choose to watch it outside of the Olympics.

Any team event using more than 4 people can go as far as I'm concerned along with table tennis and Tae Kwon Do or anything where most of those taking part can earn seven figures a year from normal competition.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,223
    I must say that including four swimming distances of 400m and above doesn't sound like a radical change.
  • Pross

I must say that including four swimming distances of 400m and above doesn't sound like a radical change.

Long distance swimming is rubbish to watch, it's slower and without the tactics and potential drama of middle or long distance running. Anything over 400m should be open water where there is at least the chance of a kick in the face or ducking, the equivalent of getting spiked or tripped in running.

Breastroke needs to stay though, it feels somehow British which could be due to it being the event we won rare swimming medals when I was young. I can imagine the plucky Brits in their Edwardian swimming suits swimming that style whilst the upstart Yanks and Aussies trounced them swimming front crawl with their exposed chests God forbid (it's also the only stroke I can swim with any degree of competency).
  • rick_chasey
    I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,734
    For some reason the open water swimming was a better watch than the pool swimming. Even with a lack of GB swimmers at the sharp end I watched quite a bit of both races.

It helped that the commentary pair - think it was Adrian Moorhouse and some other former Olympic swimmer - were so good.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'd bin off the events that are clearly not the pinnacle of the sport: football, tennis, golf. Even road cycling might struggle on that criteria but you can at least argue Olympic Gold is equivalent to a Worlds title. Get shot of half the swimming events.
    Reduce the number of games in the other team events - how long did the volleyball and handball tournaments last? - and I'd seriously consider binning all of the events that involve horses, if only for animal welfare (I'm looking at you, 'Modern' Pentathlon).
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • First.Aspect

For some reason the open water swimming was a better watch than the pool swimming. Even with a lack of GB swimmers at the sharp end I watched quite a bit of both races.

It helped that the commentary pair - think it was Adrian Moorhouse and some other former Olympic swimmer - were so good.

Why is there a

I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.

Yup, same as gymnastics though. No objective assessment is possible.

If two football teams draw at the end of extra time, would you award the game to the team that in your view played the nicer football?
  • TheBigBean

Why is there a

I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.

If two football teams draw at the end of extra time, would you award the game to the team that in your view played the nicer football?
    No worse than penalties.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Long distance swimming is rubbish to watch, it's slower and without the tactics and potential drama of middle or long distance running. Anything over 400m should be open water where there is at least the chance of a kick in the face or ducking, the equivalent of getting spiked or tripped in running.

On the other hand, if they are trying to find the fastest swimmers over those distances, getting kicked in the face could be viewed as less than optimal.

They could set the swimmers off at 90 second intervals and ban them from drafting each other, I suppose.
  • First.Aspect

Why is there a

I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.

No worse than penalties.
    No it would be like the shoot out being tied after 5 each, then awarding the game to the team that had scored more Panenkas.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308

Why is there a

I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.

No worse than penalties.
    No it would be like the shoot out being tied after 5 each, then awarding the game to the team that had scored more Panenkas.
    You're aware that a huge amount of football rulings made by the ref are entirely subjective, right? We think of the game as having an objective result because we see 1-0 on the scoreboard, but that's really not that different to seeing 86.77 on a diving scoreboard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,737

Why is there a

I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.

No worse than penalties.
    You're aware that a huge amount of football rulings made by the ref are entirely subjective, right? We think of the game as having an objective result because we see 1-0 on the scoreboard, but that's really not that different to seeing 86.77 on a diving scoreboard.
    You could just mention Neymar by name. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149

For god's sake, it was a clear penalty. He was fouled twice. Let it go. England were going to score eventually.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited August 2021
    Rick has already addressed the football.

I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.

;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean

Why is there a

I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.

No worse than penalties.
    More like awarding it based on xG. As I said, better than penalties.
  • kingstongraham
    They don't settle the boxing if there's no knockout by letting each boxer have a free shot until one of them can't stand up any more.
  • Pross

Why is there a

I also rate diving.

Tough tough sport, that.

No worse than penalties.
    I like the idea of football having different points values depending on the style of the goal. You get one "goal" for a standard header from a corner or for a shot from inside the box, two for a diving header or direct free kick, three for a goal of any sort from outside the box and four from inside your own half. That might seriously reduce the amount of draws.
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2021

They don't settle the boxing if there's no knockout by letting each boxer have a free shot until one of them can't stand up any more.

If a boxer knows he is behind on points, there is a strong incentive to attack. In contrast, a football team behind on performance has a strong incentive to defend and play for penalties. It's an excellent idea by @First.Aspect
  • kingstongraham

If a boxer knows he is behind on points, there is a strong incentive to attack. In contrast, a football team behind on performance has a strong incentive to defend and play for penalties. It's an excellent idea by @First.Aspect
    I agree entirely. If we can't go back to endless replays.
  • First.Aspect

I do quite like the xG idea. Unintended consequences might be for teams to play in a way that Opta think is more likely to create a goal, as opposed in ways that are more likely to create a goal.

Anyhow, I still have an issue with sports and style marks that probably isn't all that reasonable or rational, but hey. Until this year I could turn over and watch another sport, but the BBC seemed to prioritise sports that used horses, make-up or music this year.
  • TheBigBean

I agree entirely. If we can't go back to endless replays.
    Just the trivial matter of how to score it. That, of course, could be endlessly discussed and debated which some would see as another upside.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919
    Can't we combine the Boxing and the Football? Might be watchable at that point
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    JimD666 said:

Can't we combine the Boxing and the Football? Might be watchable at that point

Been done - called Ice Hockey

(yes i know it's a lame joke)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929

Slightly off topic.

Whatever happened to the Colombian rider Gaviria?

There was a time he looked like he'd be a star

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean

I do quite like the xG idea. Unintended consequences might be for teams to play in a way that Opta think is more likely to create a goal, as opposed in ways that are more likely to create a goal.

Anyhow, I still have an issue with sports and style marks that probably isn't all that reasonable or rational, but hey. Until this year I could turn over and watch another sport, but the BBC seemed to prioritise sports that used horses, make-up or music this year.
    The problem with xG is it removes shooting from the game, so if someone shoots from 40 yards and the keeper pushes it on to the bar with his finger tips, it will count as very low xG despite being a very skilful shot. Nonetheless, your idea can be worked with and fined tuned to ensure such things do score points.

• rick_chasey
    Also own goals are 0xg