Olympics All Format Spoiler Thread

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736

Why are the multi events rated higher than the events where you actually have to be the best at something?

Daley Thompson and thousands of broken joysticks

Yes it's a GB thing - Daley, Ennis, Denise Lewis.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Slightly off topic, I was wondering where are they going to hold the track cycling for the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham as they picked it up late on so don't have new venues. Turns out it will be at the Olympic velodrome in London. Then again the 'Tokyo' velodrome was hundreds of miles from Tokyo. I guess it makes sense for sustainability reasons to use suitable existing facilities within a sensible distance of the host city (I'm not convinced Tahiti falls into that category for Paris though!).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Not when they have something half decent already

(SW, Biarritz n that...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    ddraver said:

(SW, Biarritz n that...)

There are some really good waves in France - Hossegor for instance - but the chances of them providing competition level swell in July are extremely low. You need a decent size low pressure mid Atlantic that isn't simultaneously bringing a load of wind to the beach.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    edited August 2021
    Find it weird so many put the marathon in as top of the top tier. It's about the only athletics event where you can argue the Olympics aren't the pinnacle.

I'd say all athletics events except marathon, race walk, 400m hurdles and triple jump would rate as high as you can go.

And Yulimar Rojas in the triple jump this time was amazing. Absolutely phenomenal.
  • Maybe the best way to rank the athletics events would be by looking at which races always top and tail major championships?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2021

Maybe the best way to rank the athletics events would be by looking at which races always top and tail major championships?

Not really. Maybe what closes each night on the track is the crowd favourite, but otherwise they just spread them out over the event. Also make sure there's no overlap on the individual and relays, 100m and 200m, 5000m and 10000m so people can double up.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Totally subjective and I freely admit to probably being unaware of half of the medals:

God: Growing up, the track 100m is the one I can remember most clearly as a big event. Probably cos it's really short so children will watch it.

Top: anything where the Olympics is the pinnacle except "modern" pentathlon and horse dancing, and probably half the swimming medals*. I'm going to include boxing. Probably get rid of triple jump (I get long jump and high jump, but why do we need another one with a silly skip?).

Meh: Anything where the Olympics isn't the pinnacle.

Get in the bin: Modern pentathlon can go in some kind of sub-tier along with horse dancing.

*the BBC article about most successful Olympic athletes was like 80% swimmers. I don't know enough about swimming to know which to bin off but it needs culling.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Oh race walking - keep it cos it is funny but downgrade the medal to a chocolate coin
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570

ddraver said:

Boxing is too high.

Ireland have 35 Olympic medals
    18 in boxing

That's not a lot of medals. Ireland has only had one bronze in equestrian. How is that possible when so many jockeys riding in the UK are Irish? I know it is a different sport, but it still involves people riding horses.

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

Olympic medals by tier based on my opinion

God Tier

Athletics - Track 100m, 200m, Marathon, Decathlon, Heptathlon
    Boxing

Top Tier

Athletics - Track Middle & Long Distance
    Swimming - all events if >4 golds

Middle Tier

Athletics - Hurdles, 4x100, 4x400
    Athletics - Field Events
    Swimming - all events
    Gymnastics - Artistic
    Rowing
    Weightlifting
    Track cycling

Bottom Tier

Diving
    Basketball
    Canoeing
    Badminton
    BMX
    Mountain biking
    Road cycling
    Gymnastics - Artistic
    Rugby sevens
    Sailing
    Shooting
    Triathlon

So?

Artistic swimming
    Marathon swimming
    Water polo
    Archery
    Badminton
    Softball
    Equestrian
    Gymnastics - Rhythmic
    Trampoline
    Handball
    Judo
    Karate
    Modern pentathlon
    Skateboarding
    Sport climbing
    Surfing
    Table tennis
    Taekwondo
    Tennis
    Volleyball
    Beach volleyball
    Wrestling Freestyle
    Wrestling Greco-Roman

Golf
    Football

Appreciate everyone is allowed their own opinion.

Mine would be:
    Marathon - only the last few editions have been 'top tier' in terms of winner. Previously it used to throw up some strange results - possibly because of it being in summer (weather) and athletes preferring to target an autumn payday i.e. you can run a lot of 100s or 800s a year but only a couple of marathons, so you need to make them count.
    I'd challenge anyone without looking it up to name the 92,96,2000, 2004 OG marathon champs, whereas most could have a good stab at the 100 winners.

Decathlon & Heptathlon - Not sure how much global depth there is in these events compared to the Middle Distance, so I'd swap those around.

Golf and Men's football have no place in the OG (but appreciate it is v high profile for Women's football so men's has to be in there).
  • yorkshireraw
    Pross said:

Lol how is 400m not top tier

Because it's not the 100 or 200

It's the FA Cup of athletics

Only really God tier if combined with something else in a double

(note I'm wrongly lumping it in with middle distance)
    400m is greater than 200m in my book. The 200m is basically a second chance for those that missed a medal in the 100m. Seriously tough event too, just that bit too long to be completely anaerobic, can't stay flat out for the whole length but also not long enough to run tactically.
    Michael Johnson's 19.32 in Atlanta is one of the greatest Athletics moments of all time.
    But the event does often get overshadowed by the 100.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Why do people have such an issue with Modern Pentathlon?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Because apart from the lazer thingy non of the events are modern these days.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Pross said:

Not sure. I was just thinking the other day how good it was to have a multi-discipline event where it is not all about athleticism. Bit like chess boxing.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Pross said:

Because it looks too much like a posh kid's school sports day.

Next time around they are packing it into 90 mins so a bit more like triathlon except with horses instead of bikes and a throwing bean bags at the skittles event in the running. And a nice rest between events.

Fair to say looking at the athletes competing this time around, elite level competition isn't quite as high a bar as a regional master's triathlon event.
  • yorkshireraw

ddraver said:

(SW, Biarritz n that...)

There are some really good waves in France - Hossegor for instance - but the chances of them providing competition level swell in July are extremely low. You need a decent size low pressure mid Atlantic that isn't simultaneously bringing a load of wind to the beach.
    2028 is LA though so I assume that's got some very good surfing options?....
  • yorkshireraw
    Pross said:

Slightly off topic, I was wondering where are they going to hold the track cycling for the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham as they picked it up late on so don't have new venues. Turns out it will be at the Olympic velodrome in London. Then again the 'Tokyo' velodrome was hundreds of miles from Tokyo. I guess it makes sense for sustainability reasons to use suitable existing facilities within a sensible distance of the host city (I'm not convinced Tahiti falls into that category for Paris though!).

Wouldn't Newport or Derby be closer and a bit different? Or do they not have the spectating capacity?
  • kingstongraham
    As they have laser guns, they could turn the final event into laser quest, with timeouts if you get shot.
  • yorkshireraw

Pross said:

Next time around they are packing it into 90 mins so a bit more like triathlon except with horses instead of bikes and a throwing bean bags at the skittles event in the running. And a nice rest between events.

Fair to say looking at the athletes competing this time around, elite level competition isn't quite as high a bar as a regional master's triathlon event.
    Agreed - they looked awful at running. And there's got to be issues around treatment of animals given what we saw - horsey types talk about the bond between rider and beast - this event throws that out the window and treats the horse like a neutral service bike.
  • kingstongraham
    What would you steal if you were behind enemy lines and wanted to escape now? Motorbike?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

As they have laser guns, they could turn the final event into laser quest, with timeouts if you get shot.

They should also do shooting from horseback.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

ddraver said:

(SW, Biarritz n that...)

2028 is LA though so I assume that's got some very good surfing options?....

New York isn't it?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw

What would you steal if you were behind enemy lines and wanted to escape now? Motorbike?

Call in a chopper rescue
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I doubt you’d pick a foil as weapon either. A bit of 4 by 2 or short scaffold pole would be more use.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623

Pross said:

Agreed - they looked awful at running. And there's got to be issues around treatment of animals given what we saw - horsey types talk about the bond between rider and beast - this event throws that out the window and treats the horse like a neutral service bike.
    I think running next to you or me they'd seem very quick. But running next to an olympic triathlete, they wouldn't.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131

Got to be an E-MTB....... ;)
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

Nah. That's been tried and you just end up tangled in barbed wire.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • yorkshireraw
    edited August 2021

Pross said:

I think running next to you or me they'd seem very quick. But running next to an olympic triathlete, they wouldn't.
    Looking at the results I'd have out run the lot of them aged 20. But I can't shoot or ride a horse.

EDIT - Went back to watch some of the footage again, to see if I was being harsh. Running - they really aren't all that. Most look too big - which is probably reflected in the swimming which was pretty decent.
  • notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited August 2021

Pross said:

Wouldn't Newport or Derby be closer and a bit different? Or do they not have the spectating capacity?
    BIB. Works out for me as I live closer to London (though I do plan to be West Midlands-bound for stuff like rugby sevens).

With GB still topping the track cycling tallies and ticket prices likely being far below the 2012 Olympic equivalents they'll need the capacity.

[P.S. Did anyone here enter last month's West Midlands residents ballot?]