Olympics All Format Spoiler Thread

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,225
    The fastest runner was going faster than all but the medallists in the men's triathlon. Admittedly over a shorter distance, not after a bike ride and with rests for shooting.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2021

The fastest runner was going faster than all but the medallists in the men's triathlon. Admittedly over a shorter distance, not after a bike ride and with rests for shooting.

EDIT -

The fastest runner in the MP didn't medal either.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited August 2021
    Pross said:

Why do people have such an issue with Modern Pentathlon?

Someone joked that they should have the running in a muddy field and the shooting on a forest higher up. In My head I thought that's what Modern Pentathlon is for...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

Not when they have something half decent already

(SW, Biarritz n that...)

There are some really good waves in France - Hossegor for instance - but the chances of them providing competition level swell in July are extremely low. You need a decent size low pressure mid Atlantic that isn't simultaneously bringing a load of wind to the beach.
    2028 is LA though so I assume that's got some very good surfing options?....

New York isn't it?
    Nope, it's LA.
    The surf there in July is likely to be pretty crappy as well. You need the big storms to drive the swell, and you can only get them reliably in the autumn/winter months. For any summer Olympics you need to get to the Southern hemisphere to get consistent reliable surf of a decent size.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2021

where did you see the results for that? From what I could see the fastest guys were barely inside 3 minutes for 800. The Tri guys are doing that per KM.
    Here: https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/resOG2020-/pdf/OG2020-/MPN/OG2020-_MPN_C73D_MPNMINDIVID-----------COMB--------.pdf

The laser run time there is split out by the time stopped to do the shooting each time, plus the time spent running. So the fastest guy did 10:30 for the 3200m plus 4 lots of shooting, but was running for 9:39, or 3:01/km.

Assuming the distances are vaguely accurate for either event, that's a bit slower than only the fastest triathletes, at just under 30 minutes for the 10km run.
  • ddraver
    off road too

(that's my excuse for why my run are so slow anyhoo... 😶)
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

RichN95. said:

New York isn't it?

Nope, it's LA.

So it is. I was convinced it was New York. New York should have an Olympics.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

New York isn't it?

Nope, it's LA.

Central Park would be great for a Triathlon.

I've been to NY in July before and it was rather hot tho. (not that LA prob isn't.)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

New York isn't it?

Nope, it's LA.

Central Park would be great for a Triathlon.

I've been to NY in July before and it was rather hot tho. (not that LA prob isn't.)
    LA has less humidity.
    I think...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Does the random horse allocation only happen for pentathlon - or is a general Olympic thing? There Can’t be too many club-class stable seats on BA.
  • ddraver
    Only Pentathlon. The random horse is a big part of the game.

Otherwise it's very much a starcrossed horse/rider relationship
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,596

What would you steal if you were behind enemy lines and wanted to escape now? Motorbike?

A local identity
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738

What would you steal if you were behind enemy lines and wanted to escape now? Motorbike?

A local identity
    "Good luck!"
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2021

A local identity
    Hmmm... might give some advantage for athletes from the host country.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    kingstongraham said:

A map
    But hopefully orienteering will never be ruined by becoming an olympic sport
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,578
    I would have thought a phone might be the first theft.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674

I would have thought a phone might be the first theft.

Not a phone. The Man will know where you are, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,481
    Just posted that on Ugo's non-competing / mental health thread in Cake Stop.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,481

Pross said:

Slightly off topic, I was wondering where are they going to hold the track cycling for the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham as they picked it up late on so don't have new venues. Turns out it will be at the Olympic velodrome in London. Then again the 'Tokyo' velodrome was hundreds of miles from Tokyo. I guess it makes sense for sustainability reasons to use suitable existing facilities within a sensible distance of the host city (I'm not convinced Tahiti falls into that category for Paris though!).

Wouldn't Newport or Derby be closer and a bit different? Or do they not have the spectating capacity?
    I'd assumed it was going to be Derby. Seating capacity must be the reason, Newport probably only holds a few hundred.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931

ddraver said:

Boxing is too high.

Ireland have 35 Olympic medals
    18 in boxing

That's not a lot of medals. Ireland has only had one bronze in equestrian. How is that possible when so many jockeys riding in the UK are Irish? I know it is a different sport, but it still involves people riding horses.

It's not really a lot - not really sure why beyond small population, lack of major facilities and a national sporting landscape dominated by Gaelic games.

Know nothing about equestrian, but it's an interesting point you make.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Apparently the ICC is making a renewed push to get cricket in the Olympics for 2028.

Don't necessarily think it should be there but it makes as much sense as tennis and football being there.

It does have a huge fanbase globally (mainly due to India and Pakistan having big populations, but still...)

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-to-push-for-cricket-s-inclusion-in-the-2028-olympics-1272765
  • ddraver
    No way cricket should be in the Olympics. It's almost as bad as rugby.

(and I love them both, but...c'mon...)
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919
    Add apparently in another format. The T10.

Perhaps they could just do Rock, Paper, Scissors. They just to to negotiate how many rounds it would be "best of"
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    ddraver said:

No way cricket should be in the Olympics. It's almost as bad as rugby.

(and I love them both, but...c'mon...)

Baseball is in the Olympics.

Top athletes can't compete because they'd fail the IOC drug tests.
  • ddraver
    edited August 2021
    Baseball is only in the Olympics when it's in US or Japan.

I'd be happy for cricket to be in if it was in London or Sydney. Or e.g. Dehli or Auckland etc in future
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    ddraver said:

I'd be happy for cricket to be in if it was in London ior Sydney. Or e.g. Dehli or Auckland etc in future

You learn something every day....
  • ddraver
    In all seriousness, most Olympics have a "local sport" they add in. Karate this year for example. But I don't think London had any...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    ddraver said:

I'd be happy for cricket to be in if it was in London ior Sydney. Or e.g. Dehli or Auckland etc in future

I'd love a bit of petanque in Paris
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • First.Aspect
    ddraver said:

In all seriousness, most Olympics have a "local sport" they add in. Karate this year for example. But I don't think London had any...

Whif waff.