TDF 2021: Stage 21, Chatou > Paris Champs-Élysées 108.4 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158

If cav had returned and snagged one stage it would have been a dream result ...4!

And green, 10 years later
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,506
    A bit of a random question, but does anyone know what sort of microphone and headphone Wiggins had when on the motorbike. It was so clear he sounded like he was in a studio and I'd like one.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    edited July 2021
    If we're honest Cav made a tactical error putting himself to the left along the barriers where there is absolutely no guarantee of getting space, he knows this as he has done many a sprint on the Champs (and elsewhere) hugging the barrier so not enough space for someone to come through.
    I reckon he would have pinched it IF he had come from the right, but he didn't. Congrats to WvA, did his finish perfectly, will Cav go again next year for the TdF, that's the new question now, he clearly loves racing and if a team take him on then why not.
    That we are even having this conversation in the first place is nothing short of incedible, that's why we love sport and life stories, some amazing stuff happens out of nowhere/insanely unexpected and it brings happiness and inspiration to many.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,951
    tonyf34 said:

If we're honest Cav made a tactical error putting himself to the left along the barriers where there is absolutely no guarantee of getting space, he knows this as he has done many a sprint on the Champs (and elsewhere) hugging the barrier so not enough space for someone to come through.
    I reckon he would have pinched it IF he had come from the right, but he didn't. Congrats to WvA, did his finish perfectly, will Cav go again next year for the TdF, that's the new question now, he clearly loves racing and if a team take him on then why not.
    That we are even having this conversation in the first place is nothing short of incedible, that's why we love sport and life stories, some amazing stuff happens out of nowhere/insanely unexpected and it brings happiness and inspiration to many.

He's already said he won't a couple of days ago.
    However, these are the days of u-turns.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    pblakeney said:

tonyf34 said:

Ok, didn't know that, but if you're able and someone is willing to give you a shot then you can never say never.
    Do you think he'd have a go at sprint stages in other WTs or just maybe go back to doing some track and leave the road racing behind. If he's suggesting not doing TdF then what is his motive to attempt to win lower ranked races when that's not been his MO in the past.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,132

Pross said:

ddraver said:

Not sure it's a brain teaser tbh

Cav is old?
    I assume it meant Cav had the record at stake and the expectation he would win (plus possibly his last chance) whereas WVA had no pressure of expectation and will got loads more chances
    Cav already had the record and wva hadn't won a sprint yet.

I think they both really want to win.
    Just a share though isn't it? I thought he needed today to take it outright.
  • pblakeney
    tonyf34 said:

pblakeney said:

tonyf34 said:

Ok, didn't know that, but if you're able and someone is willing to give you a shot then you can never say never.
    Do you think he'd have a go at sprint stages in other WTs or just maybe go back to doing some track and leave the road racing behind. If he's suggesting not doing TdF then what is his motive to attempt to win lower ranked races when that's not been his MO in the past.

If someone is willing to take him on with the understanding that he will do a Mario and bail out before the mountains then maybe...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    If he goes again he would want to win the Champs (if it still exists after the traffic remodelling). It's unfinished business now.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,569
    pblakeney said:

tonyf34 said:

pblakeney said:

tonyf34 said:

If someone is willing to take him on with the understanding that he will do a Mario and bail out before the mountains then maybe...
    I'm not sure he'd be willing to do that "out of respect" to the tour. But he could be tempted to have a go at San Remo, schelderpris, gent-wevelgem.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Enjoyed G's audition for DQS
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700

jimmyjams said:

I wonder how they came to give the combativity award for the whole Tour to Bonnamour. I can't say I noticed him apart from hearing his name a couple of times in breaks.
    I would have thought Mohoric the most likely overall winner, in front of Poels, Politt, Van Aert, Konrad, and Perez.

On velogames, he's the second best value rider. He just kept getting in the right breaks that went all the way. 4 top 10 finishes from breakaways that stayed away out of 6 breaks he got into is good work.
    Pleased with my team.
    66th out of 26,000 entries

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I'd be slightly surprised to see Cavendish back to the Tour now. Would be delighted to be proven wrong, as long as he didn't embarrass himself, but I genuinely think that's it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659
    Me too really. I think that was the golden opportunity...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2021
    gsk82 said:

pblakeney said:

tonyf34 said:

pblakeney said:

tonyf34 said:

I'm not sure he'd be willing to do that "out of respect" to the tour. But he could be tempted to have a go at San Remo, schelderpris, gent-wevelgem.
    The discussion was about the Tour and stage wins.
    He has already said the mountain stages are too hard.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,866
    edited July 2021

I'd be slightly surprised to see Cavendish back to the Tour now. Would be delighted to be proven wrong, as long as he didn't embarrass himself, but I genuinely think that's it.

Sadly I am in agreement, there were a lot of happenings that came together this specific time to give him a golden opportunity, and admittedly equalling the record is something very special, I am gutted they did not go full bore on stage 19, though perhaps that was simply a lost cause, but we'll never know now.

He's told Christian Prudhomme I gather that this was his last tour, and I think I saw someone else post on here to say he has re-iterated that in a tv interview, so I have my doubts.

Even if he can come back next year, there are many factors at work, some of which he can influence, namely his fitness, and others he cannot.
    Who would he be racing for, and how much support will he have.
    How strong are the opposition and their respective teams, and how in form will they be, how much confidence will they have coming into the Tour?
    A new sprinter might emerge over the next 12 months who eclipses all of the current crop.
    In theory, he would also be racing against Bennett should he get back to fitness, form and find a decent team.

I'd love to see him back, but I severely have my doubts, and to see him complete a whole (or whatever percentage of it) your with no wins would be a heartbreaking end to his TDF outings.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,749
    He's the best tdf sprinter ever. And he has the numbers to prove it.

Still hope he goes on until nobody gives him a ride.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Two riders from this year's Tour finishers have been on the Paris podium six times. One is Chris Froome, the other is Rick Zabel

Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,021
    I could still see him coming back next year IF Quickstep wanted him to lead the team - I'm not sure they do - I can't imagine he'd want to go elsewhere.

For me he has the record anyway - yes shared but it's with Merckx it's almost better that when the question comes up his name and Eddie's are going to be mentioned together.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    RichN95. said:

Two riders from this year's Tour finishers have been on the Paris podium six times. One is Chris Froome, the other is Rick Zabel

The kid who nipped into a Dixi portable toilet to quickly dye his hair green.
  • jimmyjams

I don't not think cav will win another tour stage ever

Hedging your bets with a double negativel?
  • jimmyjams
    Seems the general feeling here is that Cav didn't win because DQS were made to work hard the last lap or so and ran out of power, and/or because Cav positioned himself badly, but even though Cavendish seemed on his own surprisingly soon, I think it has to be recognised how well Jumbo manoeuvred things - positioning themselves well at 1 km to go, moving (relatively early) to the front 450 m out, and Teunissen doing a super lead-out all that time, leaving Van Aert 200 m to do. By then there was stopping Van Aert.
    I suspect Van Aert's determination to win was underestimated (despite what he announced yesterday about today), and that it was easily as great as Cavendish's, if not more.

I think I need to join the Wout Appreciation Society.

(Teunissen's pulling out also slightly impeded Philipsen, I think unintentionally, but making a minor perhaps significant difference to Philipsen)
  • jimmyjams

jimmyjams said:

I wonder how they came to give the combativity award for the whole Tour to Bonnamour. I can't say I noticed him apart from hearing his name a couple of times in breaks.
    I would have thought Mohoric the most likely overall winner, in front of Poels, Politt, Van Aert, Konrad, and Perez.

On velogames, he's the second best value rider. He just kept getting in the right breaks that went all the way. 4 top 10 finishes from breakaways that stayed away out of 6 breaks he got into is good work.
    Pleased with my team.
    66th out of 26,000 entries

Re Bonnamour (a love-ly name), I've since heard he had the second-most kms in breaks. Apparently Mohoric had more but Moho also got two stage wins and his team the teamprize, so maybe the Ja-Ja jury thought that was reward enough.
    Just a pity for Bonnamour, that he alone, of all those who were given prizes on the podium afterwards, didn't remove his mask for the photos. Everyone else did. He'll now never be able to show inconclusive photographic evidence that it was him who won the combativity award.

Well done for 66th place, and thanks for the spoiler introductions. Have this virtual gift as reward (it is from near Nimes and it is of the grape which makes the red wines of St. Chinian, Faugeresa and Fitou so good - Carignan).

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659
    Cav definitely sounds like he's convincing himself "it doesn't matter" in his interview with Friebos...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    jimmyjams said:

Seems the general feeling here is that Cav didn't win because DQS were made to work hard the last lap or so and ran out of power, and/or because Cav positioned himself badly, but even though Cavendish seemed on his own surprisingly soon, I think it has to be recognised how well Jumbo manoeuvred things - positioning themselves well at 1 km to go, moving (relatively early) to the front 450 m out, and Teunissen doing a super lead-out all that time, leaving Van Aert 200 m to do. By then there was stopping Van Aert.
    I suspect Van Aert's determination to win was underestimated (despite what he announced yesterday about today), and that it was easily as great as Cavendish's, if not more.

(Teunissen's pulling out also slightly impeded Philipsen, I think unintentionally, but making a minor perhaps significant difference to Philipsen)

For what it's worth I'm not sure he had the kick. The Cav from earlier in the race would have been around WVA in the split second before Philipsen drifted over.

It must have been galling for Philipsen too as he finally beat Cav in the sprint only to finish second to someone else instead.
  • Pross

A bit of a random question, but does anyone know what sort of microphone and headphone Wiggins had when on the motorbike. It was so clear he sounded like he was in a studio and I'd like one.

He probably was in the studio and it was just the magic of green screen!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,506
    Pross said:

Seems great to me. If I had one I could work from home with screaming kids and Peppa Pig, and no one would know. I could even walk along the street.
  • Pross
    edited July 2021

Pross said:

Seems great to me. If I had one I could work from home with screaming kids and Peppa Pig, and no one would know. I could even walk along the street.
    Yeah, I could do with one. It feels like the dogs stay silent all day until I have to have a Teams meeting then start barking constantly.

Edit - try asking ES or Wiggins through social media maybe?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093
    edited July 2021
    Pross said:

Yeah, I could do with one. It feels like the dogs stay silent all day until I have to have a Teams meeting then start barking constantly.

Edit - try asking ES or Wiggins through social media maybe?

I have a noise cancelling mic on my phone (which I use for online meetings rather than the computer audio) and you can hear nothing behind - my colleagues think I'm in a trappist monastry whereas it can be bedlam in the background.

So look into noise cancelling technology - some of the headsets have it, something like the Logitech H390.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,808
    Pross said:

It must have been galling for Philipsen too as he finally beat Cav in the sprint only to finish second to someone else instead.

There was a picture from one of the Grubers of Phillipsen being comforted at the side of the Champs

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454
    Pross said:

jimmyjams said:

For what it's worth I'm not sure he had the kick. The Cav from earlier in the race would have been around WVA in the split second before Philipsen drifted over.

I don't think that was the problem. He was boxed in because he decided to surf instead of trusting Morkov. He kicked and immediately had to stop for a pedal stroke on the left barrier before starting up again. With a clear path I think he would have comfortably beaten WVA. WVA is sensational, but he is a better version of Sagan. Cav is still a different level as a pure sprinter. His competition is Bennett and Ewan. WVA still falls in the category of hybrid. He is just the best hybrid (if you discount the dutch dude 😉).
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023