TDF 2021: Stage 21, Chatou > Paris Champs-Élysées 108.4 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Jakob Fuglsang DNS with a nasty case of Tokyo syndrome. He's had a pretty crappy tour and has been a bit under the weather this week, but a weird day to pull out. I guess he's seen Paris a few times though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,735

Jakob Fuglsang DNS with a nasty case of Tokyo syndrome. He's had a pretty crappy tour and has been a bit under the weather this week, but a weird day to pull out. I guess he's seen Paris a few times though.

Is he on the Olympic team?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262

Yes, he thinks the climb with 35km to go makes it a climber's course. Also thinks the short term effects of his second jab did for his form in France.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-games-covid-vaccine-wrecked-my-tour-de-france-says-fuglsang/
  • rick_chasey
    That’ll be why the dns
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Yes, he thinks the climb with 35km to go makes it a climber's course. Also thinks the short term effects of his second jab did for his form in France.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic-games-covid-vaccine-wrecked-my-tour-de-france-says-fuglsang/
    Yeah, he's the captain. Asgreen, Valgren og Chris Juul make up the rest.

As for the vax, I had a six day unearned hangover from my second shot, so I've got some sympathy with him.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    OMG, has Roglic died?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    His hopes of winning in France probably.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

OMG, has Roglic died?

It was a freak accident involving a pair of roller skis, a bottle of slivovka and a ski jump. Rolf Sørensen claims he has a cast iron alibi.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

I wonder how they came to give the combativity award for the whole Tour to Bonnamour. I can't say I noticed him apart from hearing his name a couple of times in breaks.
    I would have thought Mohoric the most likely overall winner, in front of Poels, Politt, Van Aert, Konrad, and Perez.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    jimmyjams said:

I wonder how they came to give the combativity award for the whole Tour to Bonnamour. I can't say I noticed him apart from hearing his name a couple of times in breaks.
    I would have thought Mohoric the most likely overall winner, in front of Poels, Politt, Van Aert, Konrad, and Perez.

On velogames, he's the second best value rider. He just kept getting in the right breaks that went all the way. 4 top 10 finishes from breakaways that stayed away out of 6 breaks he got into is good work.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited July 2021
    He's the first Combativity winner without a stage win since 2014
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Green points bonus.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    More about testing out the new finish for cav there . It's a totally different lead out . Need to train it in well past that final corner
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Cav and Mørkøv are just taking the piss out of Matthews at this point. 1st and 2nd over the intermediate after the 3 man break, Matthews 3rd.

Hope it didn't cost too much, didn't really look it
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

The one I always wonder about on this stage is what happens if the race leader has a big crash after the racing starts in Paris? Is everyone expected to sit up and wait and have a token sprint on the last lap?

I'm actually surprised how few big crashes we see on the finish circuit, I know it's wide roads but there are a few tightish turns, a horrible road surface in places and presumably lots of diesel spills (wet final stages also seem very rare).

Wet stages they often neutralise the timing 1st passage these days
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Cav and Mørkøv are just taking the piss out of Matthews at this point. 1st and 2nd over the intermediate after the 3 man break, Matthews 3rd.

Testing the new finish it's a good sign
  • rick_chasey

I imagine they’re going for a QS 1,2 to up the difficulty as they’re currently playing on easy.
  • mididoctors

I imagine they’re going for a QS 1,2 to up the difficulty as they’re currently playing on easy.
    Don't jinx it 😜
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,933
    The sprint was towards the top of the Champs, it wasn't where the stage finish will be. That's midway along.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Being first out of the corner is no longer critical, especially if you have the biggest sprint train left in the peloton. There's time to move up
  • mididoctors
    Fenix doing nothing ... If they hammer it last 700 .. real dangerous.. not a done deal
  • mididoctors

The sprint was towards the top of the Champs, it wasn't where the stage finish will be. That's midway along.

Sure?
  • mididoctors
    Your right but it is 700 m up from the corner
  • mididoctors
    Doing all the work here DQS
  • rick_chasey

Doing all the work here DQS

DSM too
  • mididoctors
    Peloton looks really small
  • rick_chasey
    Very appropriate Schelling is in the break
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Valgren getting some good Olympic training in here, but looks like he'll ride the others off his wheel if he's not careful