Macroeconomics, the economy, inflation etc. *likely to be very dull*

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    ECB still concerned with inflation (rate .5% rise), but ready to act if needed.
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2023
    The ECB had signaled for several weeks that it would be raising rates again at its March meeting, as inflation across the 20-member region remains sharply above the targeted level. In February, preliminary data showed headline inflation of 8.5%, well above the central bank’s target of 2%.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/16/ecb-rate-decision-march-meeting-lagarde-announces-new-rate-hike.html

Basically it comes down to a real worry of spiralling inflation, that's the killer.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    My investment in gold is sky rocketing. This is more of a concern than a boast.
    It tells me that people who know more than I do are concerned.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    pblakeney said:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/goldbug.asp
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/goldbug.asp
    Thanks for wasting my time with that.
    Fact is the value has gone up 10% in a week.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah cos goldbugs.

• pblakeney
    Whatevs.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    I’ve never understood gold as an investment
  • pblakeney

In simple terms it is a hedge. Hang around long enough and you'll find out that things aren't as stable as you appear to think. It's also an indicator of things going pear shaped.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2023
    Swiss bank UBS Group is closing in on a deal to take over its rival Credit Suisse amid a weekend of frenzied negotiations, according to multiple reports.

The Swiss government and other global authorities, including some from the US, are working toward sealing the agreement on Sunday in the hopes of shoring up trust in the banking system before the markets open Monday.

The scramble to get the deal done is playing out after the Swiss National Bank and the country’s top regulator, Finma, told their international counterparts they regard a deal with UBS as the only option to stop Credit Suisse from collapsing, the Financial Times reported.

It will be the first combination of two global systemically important banks since the financial crisis of 2008-2009
    https://nypost.com/2023/03/18/ubs-closing-in-on-deal-to-buy-fellow-swiss-bank-credit-suisse/
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    pblakeney said:

In simple terms it is a hedge. Hang around long enough and you'll find out that things aren't as stable as you appear to think. It's also an indicator of things going pear shaped.
    pblakeney said:

I have never really thought about investing in gold so could I ask some questions?

Do you literally buy lumps of the shiny stuff?
    I get that is an indicator of uncertainty but is it a leading indicator and how easy is it to time the market?
    Or do you put a % your portfolio in as a buy and hold?
    What are the dealing costs/spread?
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    pblakeney said:

It’s a hedge cos goldbugs but it’s got no more intrinsic value as an investment than just trading FX.

You could have just stuck that amount into USD as the global reserve.

But yeah, graduating into the GFC and the Great Recession and then living through Covid, I’m clearly still clueless about how pear-shaped it all goes.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Gold has been valued a lot longer than greenbacks.

• rick_chasey
    edited March 2023

Gold has been valued a lot longer than greenbacks.

Sure. It has function in jewellery and wires etc, but in this context it’s just another currency.

When the poo hits the fan everyone runs to safe haven currencies. So whatever is the global reserve. Same idea.

That’s partly why the dollar got mega strong at the back end of last year.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I have never really thought about investing in gold so could I ask some questions?

Do you literally buy lumps of the shiny stuff?
    I get that is an indicator of uncertainty but is it a leading indicator and how easy is it to time the market?
    Or do you put a % your portfolio in as a buy and hold?
    What are the dealing costs/spread?
    You either hold physical gold, something affected by gold (eg gold mining company) or some futures. On the assumption that you like an easy life a gold ETF will do one of the above for you.
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2023

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Do you literally buy lumps of the shiny stuff? - You can but there are alternatives.
    I get that is an indicator of uncertainty but is it a leading indicator and how easy is it to time the market? It's a gamble like any investment. See Gordon Brown.
    Or do you put a % your portfolio in as a buy and hold? That's what I did. Rainy day money if rain turns to tropical thunderstorm.
    What are the dealing costs/spread? Depends where you buy from. VAT & CGT free.
    See the italics above. Disclaimer, I am no financial advisor, I just hedged a percentage.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    The thing is right, always believe in your soul, you've got the power to know, you're indestructible, always believe in...

Cause you are gold!

Not literal Gold, you know what I mean.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Do you literally buy lumps of the shiny stuff? - You can but there are alternatives.
    I get that is an indicator of uncertainty but is it a leading indicator and how easy is it to time the market? It's a gamble like any investment. See Gordon Brown.
    Or do you put a % your portfolio in as a buy and hold? That's what I did. Rainy day money if rain turns to tropical thunderstorm.
    See the italics above. Disclaimer, I am no financial advisor, I just hedged a percentage.

My concern is, that like most people, I would not recognise the rainy day
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

By rainy day I mean worse than 2008. Something that will be very noticeable.
    Of course picking the time at the top of the curve would simply be luck.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Poor Debit Suisse. Rescued by UBS, and the market reaction is to sell off UBS haha.

Wah wah waaaah.
  • pblakeney
    The difference that 14 minutes can make.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    I am pretty confident the UK banking sector is in good order tbh.

(Despite, I should add, all the Brexiter moves to deregulate UK banking).

Worth remembering that it was SVB, amongst others, who lobbied the Trump administration to loosen the regulations for smaller, non-Too-Big-To-Fail banks so they could do the kind of things that ended up being their undoing.

The fact the Fed still insured most of the deposits I, personally, think is really bad. Moral hazard is still an issue, clearly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Poor Debit Suisse. Rescued by UBS, and the market reaction is to sell off UBS haha.

Wah wah waaaah.

Not a client then I take it?
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    Pross said:

Wah wah waaaah.

Not a client then I take it?
    Mmm should probably not say too much, but no not me personally.

I have had clients who have since gone bust because they were found to have been engaged in full on fraud so I am not above all of this.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I was assuming we were talking about a drawdown phase of life and were holding it as a hedge for when other assets dropped. In this scenario when you need cash you should of course sell gold but most people won't sell their best performing asset.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I was assuming we were talking about a drawdown phase of life and were holding it as a hedge for when other assets dropped. In this scenario when you need cash you should of course sell gold but most people won't sell their best performing asset.
    If I've still got a holding at 75years old then I think it will be time for a pamper of some kind. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

If I've still got a holding at 75years old then I think it will be time for a pamper of some kind. 😉
    I assume gold soared like an eagle when Covid hit - did you sell?

A mate who is a professional investor says the amateurs biggest mistake is not knowng when to sell as they don't want to crystalize (ie admit) losses or sell their best performers.

Strangely I got better at this when I read a throwaway comment on here or another forum which was if you don't know what to do then do half.

• rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

A mate who is a professional investor says the amateurs biggest mistake is not knowng when to sell as they don't want to crystalize (ie admit) losses or sell their best performers.

Strangely I got better at this when I read a throwaway comment on here or another forum which was if you don't know what to do then do half.

Did you see the story that came out of Fidelity in the US?

They were looking at their highest performing customers, and almost all of them were people who had forgotten they had an account with them.
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Did you see the story that came out of Fidelity in the US?

They were looking at their highest performing customers, and almost all of them were people who had forgotten they had an account with them.
    I have heard similar with "their most successful customers are dead"

that is more of an argument for "time in the market not timing the market"
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

It did, and no. Just as well as it's worth more today. Personally Covid was a wonderful financial time for me (full income, minimal spending) so no need to sell.
    Veronese68 wrote: