Macroeconomics, the economy, inflation etc. *likely to be very dull*

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

rjsterry said:

You can't look at chart and say things were normal.

it went on for so long that it was normal for anybody under the age of 40

Rick's belief that it would be wrong not to borrow up to the eyeballs and beyond was mainstream thinking

Debt Doesn't Matter. Growth Matters.

DEBT DOES MATTER, YOU CAN'T RACK UP DEBT FOREVER, SOMETHING WILL EVENTUALLY BREAK.

CAN GROWTH CONTINUE FOREVER?

IT'S ANOTHER !!RICKTOPIA!!
    We've been doing it for literally centuries. During the Napoleonic Wars, Government debt rose to about 260% of GDP and that took until the outbreak of WWI to get down to the levels last seen in 2008. From 1750-1850 government debt was well over 100%. Nothing broke then. Today's borrowing is pretty trivial compared with the Napoleonic Wars, WWI & WWII.

So let's all just calm down.
    But say growth is not inevitable, what if our decade of stagnation mirrors Japan and becomes three decades. What if our growth that negated your Napoleonic war debt was only achieved by exploiting our colonies? What if subsequent growth was due to technology leaps. What if the next tech leap is decades away or if it benefits other parts of the world?

Lastly, I’d driving growth is so easy why don’t we just do what every other country has done to achieve a high growth economy.
    It's not a what if, that's exactly where the money came from. The interesting comparison is the Spanish empire which was even more purely extractive.

The post Napoleonic slump was a big deal at the time. There was a big property crash with half-finished buildings standing empty for over a decade, so I'm not suggesting there are not consequences. But I think other factors have more influence, rather than a simple relationship of debt to GDP ratio>100%=bad.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Rick's belief that it would be wrong not to borrow up to the eyeballs and beyond was mainstream thinking

DEBT DOES MATTER, YOU CAN'T RACK UP DEBT FOREVER, SOMETHING WILL EVENTUALLY BREAK.

We've been doing it for literally centuries. During the Napoleonic Wars, Government debt rose to about 260% of GDP and that took until the outbreak of WWI to get down to the levels last seen in 2008. From 1750-1850 government debt was well over 100%. Nothing broke then. Today's borrowing is pretty trivial compared with the Napoleonic Wars, WWI & WWII.

But say growth is not inevitable, what if our decade of stagnation mirrors Japan and becomes three decades. What if our growth that negated your Napoleonic war debt was only achieved by exploiting our colonies? What if subsequent growth was due to technology leaps. What if the next tech leap is decades away or if it benefits other parts of the world?

Lastly, I’d driving growth is so easy why don’t we just do what every other country has done to achieve a high growth economy.
    It's not a what if, that's exactly where the money came from. The interesting comparison is the Spanish empire which was even more purely extractive.

The post Napoleonic slump was a big deal at the time. There was a big property crash with half-finished buildings standing empty for over a decade, so I'm not suggesting there are not consequences. But I think other factors have more influence, rather than a simple relationship of debt to GDP ratio>100%=bad.
    My hypothesis is that as a mature economy there might not be any long periods of rapid economic growth which has averaged 2.2% since 1949. In that scenario it would take a great many years of balanced budgets to significantly reduce or debt to GDP ratio.

That ignores the fact that there is no poltical will to run a balanced budget.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

My hypothesis is that as a mature economy there might not be any long periods of rapid economic growth which has averaged 2.2% since 1949. In that scenario it would take a great many years of balanced budgets to significantly reduce or debt to GDP ratio.

Well exactly. Wishing it were so ain't going to change that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited March 2023

Eeeerr...

• surrey_commuter

Eeeerr...

I am going to ignore the first graph as I think you only chose it for the screwed up nature of the X axis.

Chart two is interesting as it shows we took a 100 years to reduce debt after the Napoleonic wars and that was in our period of unprecedented prosperity. If we take the two world wars as one event it took 50 years to get that back down. Now in peacetime we have been steadily increasing it for 20 years.

Why do you not see Japan as our canary down the mine?
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    There's no run on Japanese gov't debt, so I wonder what the scaremongering is about if that is what you are worried about.

But let's be clear, you're still only looking at one side of the equation, as the charts above illustrate.
  • rjsterry
    edited March 2023

Eeeerr...

I am going to ignore the first graph as I think you only chose it for the screwed up nature of the X axis.

Chart two is interesting as it shows we took a 100 years to reduce debt after the Napoleonic wars and that was in our period of unprecedented prosperity. If we take the two world wars as one event it took 50 years to get that back down. Now in peacetime we have been steadily increasing it for 20 years.

Strong sense of deja vu.

It's two views of the same chart by the way. First one is just the recent bit on the right hand side.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

Eeeerr...

Strong sense of deja vu.

It's two views of the same chart by the way. First one is just the recent bit on the right hand side.
    The total level of debt did not used to matter because it was all about debt servicing costs but Rick moved the goalposts. Now we just need to decisively beat the US navy and rule the waves for a century.

my problem with the first graph is that the left hand side is in 4 yearly intervals and then switches to annual, which makes the fall look far more impressive
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited March 2023
    Is it not a concern that our debt to GDP ratio is trending towards wartime ratios while we are not at war? Ukraine plays a part but we are not that involved, yet.

Alternate and worrying theory, war follow debt increase. 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    pblakeney said:

Is it not a concern that our debt to GDP ratio is trending towards wartime ratios while we are not at war? Ukraine plays a part but we are not that involved, yet.

You need to take the historical context into account however.

Back in the day, the military was basically the only major cost for the government, other than lining the pockets of royals. It's only really *since* ww2 does military spending not make up the bulk of all spending, and even then it was much higher as a proportion than it is now.

Nowadays, military spending is only a small piece of the pie, and instead it is social, so it stands to reason that the correlation between government spending and warmongering is broken.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    So the answer is to take spending on health, education and social security back to pre-war levels

:wink:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    edited March 2023

my problem with the first graph is that the left hand side is in 4 yearly intervals and then switches to annual, which makes the fall look far more impressive

Well spotted. That is inexcusable.

This forum needs a hall of shame thread for bad graphs.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Back in the day, the military was basically the only major cost for the government, other than lining the pockets of royals. It's only really *since* ww2 does military spending not make up the bulk of all spending, and even then it was much higher as a proportion than it is now.

Nowadays, military spending is only a small piece of the pie, and instead it is social, so it stands to reason that the correlation between government spending and warmongering is broken.
    It might be, it might not be.
    Time will tell.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Time will tell.
    No that's a cop out. Come on, the logic is there. What's wrong with the logic?
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Time will tell.
    It is only a small piece of the pie because we are not at war.
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Time will tell.
    Sure. But the social side of spending isn't going to disappear. I mean, we have an NHS for starters.
  • rick_chasey
    https://ifs.org.uk/social-security-spending

Social security is the largest single component of public spending. Spending on social security has steadily increased in real terms and as a share of national income since the modern welfare state was introduced after the Second World War, as shown in Figures 1a and 1b. In 1948–49, social security spending accounted for around 3.3% of national income; by 2009–10, it had reached 12.5%. Social security has also taken up an ever-increasing proportion of public spending: in 1948–49 it accounted for around a tenth of all spending, whereas today it accounts for closer to 30%.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Time will tell.
    Look at the graph you provided.
    I've drawn one possible conclusion.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Time will tell.
    Sure. But the social side of spending isn't going to disappear. I mean, we have an NHS for starters.
    You will have to confirm what you are arguing
  • rick_chasey

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Time will tell.
    That we need to take the makeup of government spending into account when we're drawing conclusions from the past.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited March 2023
  • surrey_commuter

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Time will tell.
    That we need to take the makeup of government spending into account when we're drawing conclusions from the past.
    In that case my conclusion is that we would be double fvcked as the war spending would be in addition
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Eeeerr...

Strong sense of deja vu.

The total level of debt did not used to matter because it was all about debt servicing costs but Rick moved the goalposts. Now we just need to decisively beat the US navy and rule the waves for a century.

It's the same curve!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Eeeerr...

Strong sense of deja vu.

It's the same curve!
    We are obviously looking at different things. My second graph starts 200 years prior and looks like the Alps
  • rick_chasey
    I still don't understand what criteria SC uses to establish when govt debt is too much.
  • surrey_commuter

I still don't understand what criteria SC uses to establish when govt debt is too much.

In my world the Govt needs to leave itself head room for when they have no choice but to get the cheque book out.

Where is this "head room" well that is the gap up to the "tipping point" which can only be identified with hindsight. Symptons of approaching the tipping point are the markets losing confidence and debt servicing costs rising. Once you are past the tipping point then these costs will spiral out of your control.

Currently annual debt servicing costs ae £100bn which the Govt was unable to do anything to stop it from rising.

Truss was a window into the future.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Eeeerr...

Strong sense of deja vu.

It's the same curve!
    We are obviously looking at different things. My second graph starts 200 years prior and looks like the Alps
    One is just a zoomed in extract of the other. It's the same dataset.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Eeeerr...

Strong sense of deja vu.

It's the same curve!
    One is just a zoomed in extract of the other. It's the same dataset.
    With an inconsistent timeline which is unforgivable.
  • rick_chasey

In my world the Govt needs to leave itself head room for when they have no choice but to get the cheque book out.

Where is this "head room" well that is the gap up to the "tipping point" which can only be identified with hindsight. Symptons of approaching the tipping point are the markets losing confidence and debt servicing costs rising. Once you are past the tipping point then these costs will spiral out of your control.

Currently annual debt servicing costs ae £100bn which the Govt was unable to do anything to stop it from rising.

So when is too much too much? What measures are you using?
  • surrey_commuter

So when is too much too much? What measures are you using?
    Well the Bond markets got rid of Truss. You and I may think that is a good idea but others mayfeel it is a sign that debt levels are too high.

We have the highest rate of tax for 70 years which others may feel is sign that debt levels are too high.

Public sector strikes and hundreds of thousands of unfilled vacancies could be seen as a sign that debt levels are too high.