Macroeconomics, the economy, inflation etc. *likely to be very dull*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

No I don't think it's a fiscal thing. More I think there needs to be a way to add a bit of bargaining power without encouraging disruption.

I don't necessarily have a solution but the kind of thing could be enforced representation of workers on the board or rules around pay & profit transparency or something along those lines.

you don't think that the massive sortage of talent will solve the problem?
    I am absolutely of the view that the labour market is deeply inefficient at allocating people effectively, but then I'm professionally interested in saying that.

That's not really what I'm driving at in this particular point.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

No I don't think it's a fiscal thing. More I think there needs to be a way to add a bit of bargaining power without encouraging disruption.

I don't necessarily have a solution but the kind of thing could be enforced representation of workers on the board or rules around pay & profit transparency or something along those lines.

I am absolutely of the view that the labour market is deeply inefficient at allocating people effectively, but then I'm professionally interested in saying that.

Imagine an utter clown in Whitehall clled Boris Rees-Mogg making decisions rather than the market and tell me it would be more efficient
  • rick_chasey

Imagine an utter clown in Whitehall clled Boris Rees-Mogg making decisions rather than the market and tell me it would be more efficient
    I'm not suggesting that.
  • surrey_commuter

I'm not suggesting that.
    how else do you suggest setting the prices in Sainos?
  • rick_chasey

I'm not suggesting that.
    how else do you suggest setting the prices in Sainos?
    I'm not. I'm talking about wages & collective bargaining.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited March 2023
    Just heard David Blanchflower interviewed on Radio 4 and am suddenly pessimistic.

Edited to remove my mistake I always make confusing him with the footballer :D
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    edited March 2023
    Raising prices could drive up the cost of living even further and would hurt the least well-off most, the Bank of England governor has warned firms.

"If all prices try to beat inflation we will get higher inflation," Andrew Bailey told the BBC's Today programme.

He said higher inflation "hurts people" and warned the Bank would raise rates again if prices continued to increase.

Mr Bailey was speaking a day after the Bank raised interest rates to their highest level for 14 years

The move came after prices jumped unexpectedly last month.

"I would say to people who are setting prices - please understand, if we get inflation embedded, interest rates will have to go up further and higher inflation really benefits nobody," he added.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65056733

I still think he should have taken a pay cut along will all MPs and led by example, rather than tell everyone 'don't ask for a pay rise'!
  • focuszing723
    Yep, nobody wants spiralling inflation.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    Bit of a wobble for Deutsche Bank this morning.

AFAIK an even worse culture than CS, so not enormously surprised.

Not hitting the panic button yet - still likelier fine than not, but still.

Could just be the "Friday effect" which is partly why all banks fail on a Friday (take a look..!) because no-one wants to be left with their d*ck hanging out in case it fails over the weekend before Monday open.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

A bit much implying the good people of Cake Stop are anything like the bankers at Deutsche Bank.
  • rick_chasey
    ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Not hitting the panic button yet - still likelier fine than not, but still.

Could just be the "Friday effect" which is partly why all banks fail on a Friday (take a look..!) because no-one wants to be left with their d*ck hanging out in case it fails over the weekend before Monday open.

Hey! This place isn't that bad!

Oh, ...right.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    Funnily enough I read the policy prescriptions as agreeing with me

Economic growth and inflation play an important role in reducing debt ratios. Growth reduces debt ratios not only through its effects on nominal GDP, but also because countries on average consolidate (run higher primary balances) during good times.

• In terms of policy lessons, countries aiming for a moderate and gradual reduction in debt ratios should implement well-designed fiscal consolidations, particularly when economies are growing faster and when external conditions are favorable. The debt reduction effects of fiscal adjustments are often reinforced when accompanied by growth-enhancing structural reforms and strong institutional frameworks.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Economic growth and inflation play an important role in reducing debt ratios. Growth reduces debt ratios not only through its effects on nominal GDP, but also because countries on average consolidate (run higher primary balances) during good times.

• In terms of policy lessons, countries aiming for a moderate and gradual reduction in debt ratios should implement well-designed fiscal consolidations, particularly when economies are growing faster and when external conditions are favorable. The debt reduction effects of fiscal adjustments are often reinforced when accompanied by growth-enhancing structural reforms and strong institutional frameworks.
    Ha! Yeah, well...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

Go on quote the next bits
  • focuszing723
    Too much growth creates inflation, then you have to raise interest rates (to control inflation) on that massive debt. If you raise IR's the pain is so great because the general public have been accustomed to living off debt (cars leased, high House prices/mortgages). We're in a situation now where IR's can't be left at historically normal levels. They will have to return to historic lows.

Why do think the cost of a home to live in is so high? It's not just supply issues, it's because savings rates have been so dire (cheap mortgages) people have gone into the buy too let business as a safe haven. Extremes have consequences, it's much better to seek balance.
  • rick_chasey
    (That’s why we talk about real growth - ie growth after inflation. Not nominal growth).

If you can find some evidence that adding enough homes to cover the shortage (in the right locations) wouldn’t solve the issue, do share it.
  • focuszing723
    Rick, you seem devoid of reality there. The cost of a home to live in is historically high. Them the facts, that's what has happened.
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2023
    Build a mass of housing now and that market will crash. That wouldn't be ideal for growth either.
  • surrey_commuter

Frankly I only skim read it but most appeared to be about restructuring which I took to not be relevant to the UK
  • surrey_commuter

Too much growth creates inflation, then you have to raise interest rates (to control inflation) on that massive debt. If you raise IR's the pain is so great because the general public have been accustomed to living off debt (cars leased, high House prices/mortgages). We're in a situation now where IR's can't be left at historically normal levels. They will have to return to historic lows.

Why do think the cost of a home to live in is so high? It's not just supply issues, it's because savings rates have been so dire (cheap mortgages) people have gone into the buy too let business as a safe haven. Extremes have consequences, it's much better to seek balance.

The suggestion is that you choke off Govt spending to reduce inflationary pressures.

Unfortunately in the last 20 years the UK has had politicians who see a booming economy as a chance to spend more.
  • Funnily enough I read the policy prescriptions as agreeing with me

Frankly I only skim read it but most appeared to be about restructuring which I took to not be relevant to the UK
    There was also no reference to the impact on debt costs if the sovereign debt markets decide those in charge of a particular country are spendthrifts or otherwise clueless. This might not affect the US, but it certainly affects the UK, as the Truss-induced "Muppet Premium" last Autumn demonstrated. So there will always be a balance that needs to be struck between "borrowing for growth" and fiscal prudence.

I guess this balance is like assessing how fast to take a corner going downhill on a bike. Better to get to the bottom thinking you could have gone faster than to end up in a ditch half way down.

• rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

OK I'll help you out

At the same time, because such conditions may not always hold, and partly because fiscal consolidation tends to slow GDP growth, the average fiscal consolidation has a negligible effect on debt ratios.

So you posted the theory, in ideal conditions, and then they look at the reality.

Basically, the IMF argues that governments tightening their belts can work — if the global economy is still humming along and the focus is on cutting expenses rather than increasing taxes. But “because fiscal consolidation tends to slow GDP growth, the average fiscal consolidation has a negligible effect on debt ratios”.

So with austerity you get all the pain, without much impact on the debt ratios, on average.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

There was also no reference to the impact on debt costs if the sovereign debt markets decide those in charge of a particular country are spendthrifts or otherwise clueless. This might not affect the US, but it certainly affects the UK, as the Truss-induced "Muppet Premium" last Autumn demonstrated. So there will always be a balance that needs to be struck between "borrowing for growth" and fiscal prudence.

I guess this balance is like assessing how fast to take a corner going downhill on a bike. Better to get to the bottom thinking you could have gone faster than to end up in a ditch half way down.

What's so annoying about the Truss thing and this particular argument, from my perspective, is that the problem was she did what she did *after a decade of no growth*, and no-one is remotely bothered about the cause of the conditions that then made her behaviour quite so reckless.

And the argument was made in 2010, the UK deficit continued to rise for quite a while in spite of that (largely because the UK kept missing its growth targets), and yet borrowing costs and inflation, sunk lower and lower.

So I don't buy the automatic correlation causation that you're suggesting, because, for a decade before Truss, that correlation wasn't there.

What were you arguing when borrowing costs were basically zero?
  • rick_chasey
    And SC, here's the important bit.

adequately timed and appropriately designed fiscal consolidations have a high probability of durably reducing debt ratios.

Gotta time it. I.e. countercyclically.
  • focuszing723

adequately timed and appropriately designed fiscal consolidations have a high probability of durably reducing debt ratios.

How the hell do you time it though, was the financial crisis predicted, Brexit, covid?
  • focuszing723
    Ukraine/Russia, the impact that has had.

No Rick, it better to not let Debt become too untenable.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

How the hell do you time it though, was the financial crisis predicted, Brexit, covid?
    It says it in the article. When growth is good, it's a good time to fix the gdp/debt ratio. i.e. countercyclical fiscal policy.

We're not reinventing the wheel here.

The temptation is always to be cyclical, but that just makes it worse.

I see it like this: a decade of falsely focussing on the debt and not growth has now created the conditions that debt is a problem. So the debt people can say "i told you so" but it is a mess of their own creation.
  • focuszing723

It says it in the article. When growth is good, it's a good time to fix the gdp/debt ratio. i.e. countercyclical fiscal policy.

We're not reinventing the wheel here.

The temptation is always to be cyclical, but that just makes it worse.

I see it like this: a decade of falsely focussing on the debt and not growth has now created the conditions that debt is a problem. So the debt people can say "i told you so" but it is a mess of their own creation.
    They all came one after the other Rick!