TDF 2021: Stage 17 Muret > Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet 178.4 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Pross said:

Pross said:

I suspect Bike Exchange and Bahrain will push hard to drop Cav on the second 4th cat climb which looks quite tough as it is just before the bonus sprint.

Colbrelli is too far back to be of any concern. Unless Bling gets in the break that'll likely mop the big points up (or the peloton is leading the race at that point), Cav won't be all that fussed.
    Where did Matthews gain his points? When I looked before the rest day I thought he was only a point ahead of Colbrelli and about 100 behind Cav. I know they both gained quite a few points yesterday and Colbrelli more than Matthews. Did Matthews pick a load up over the weekend that I missed?
    He gained 29 points from inters on Sat/Sun (he was in the break for the latter), so 72 points behind on the second rest day.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

Piss poor tactics from Carapaz, I think.

He's moved onto the podium and he tried to move ahead of Vingegaard. What do you think he should have done instead?
    Co-operated with Pogacar and Vingegaard to put even more time into Uran. I hope Uran knocks him off the podium.

He took 1.50 out of him and there's another stage tomorrow. He only lost 36s to Uran in the first TT. He now leads him by a minute and a half. Carapaz wanted the stage.
    In doing so he treated Pogacar and Vingegaard like mugs. I'm sure Pogacar will bide his time and pay back Carapaz in Spades. Hopefully that will be on tomorrow's stage and Uran can get some time back. He's a better time-trialler than he showed in the first TT as well.
    They've been sucking his wheel for the last week whilst their own teams have been all over the shop. He had every right to sit on.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

He's moved onto the podium and he tried to move ahead of Vingegaard. What do you think he should have done instead?
    Co-operated with Pogacar and Vingegaard to put even more time into Uran. I hope Uran knocks him off the podium.

He took 1.50 out of him and there's another stage tomorrow. He only lost 36s to Uran in the first TT. He now leads him by a minute and a half. Carapaz wanted the stage.
    In doing so he treated Pogacar and Vingegaard like mugs. I'm sure Pogacar will bide his time and pay back Carapaz in Spades. Hopefully that will be on tomorrow's stage and Uran can get some time back. He's a better time-trialler than he showed in the first TT as well.
    hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

Where does it say in these unwritten rules, that if you are attacked but don't get dropped, you have to work with the guy who attacked you?
    Plus why on earth would Carapaz work with a guy who is 1 second ahead on GC?

You must have been listening to the nonsense ITV were spouting.
    Well Vingegaard had no problem working with Pogacar even though he was trying to drop him. The pair of them were so pissed off with Carapaz's tactics that they obviously agreed at one point to try and work together to drop him. Nobody likes a wheel-sucker obviously.
    That was Vingegaard's choice.
    If you think Carapaz was obligated to work with them, so they could drop him later, to avoid being tagged as "a wheel sucker", you are perfectly entitled to think that.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    edited July 2021
    hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

Where does it say in these unwritten rules, that if you are attacked but don't get dropped, you have to work with the guy who attacked you?

Well Vingegaard had no problem working with Pogacar even though he was trying to drop him. The pair of them were so pissed off with Carapaz's tactics that they obviously agreed at one point to try and work together to drop him. Nobody likes a wheel-sucker obviously.
    Vinegard was quite happy to work with Pogacar to drop Carapaz. Carapaz was quite happy to drop Vinegard. Pogacar was just a passenger in the battle for second.

Although Pogacar does like to show who is boss.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    The posts here make me think Carapaz won the stage.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

It was to Vingergaard's benefit as he was moving into first place amongst the also rans. No-one in the trio was doing what they were doing for altruistic reasons.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Pog kept attacking from the front of the group . Bit telegraphy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2021
    Pross said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

It was to Vingergaard's benefit as he was moving into first place amongst the also rans. No-one in the trio was doing what they were doing for altruistic reasons.
    You can say that again.... Yeah vingegaard may harbour a grudge though ... Seen this sort of thing many times. .. it became impossible for Rui Costa to win a race ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Pross said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

You can say that again.... Yeah vingegaard may harbour a grudge though ... Seen this sort of thing many times. .. it became impossible for Rui Costa to win a race ...
    That’s because these days Costa is a bit of non event.
  • mididoctors
    webboo said:

Pross said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

That’s because these days Costa is a bit of non event.
    Before that
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

It's a race not a club ride.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

It's a bike race, not a popularity contest. Vingegaard was a mug working with Pogacar, he should've sat on him too and made him work for the stage win, not gift it to him. Jumbo-Visma's DS team are a joke, they should've been screaming at him to stop collaborating and focus on the win.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

Pog kept attacking from the front of the group . Bit telegraphy

Just keeping himself in their head, dominating.

“I’m going, come follow if you can”
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    andyp said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

It's a bike race, not a popularity contest. Vingegaard was a mug working with Pogacar, he should've sat on him too and made him work for the stage win, not gift it to him. Jumbo-Visma's DS team are a joke, they should've been screaming at him to stop collaborating and focus on the win.
    Why would they do that. They've got two stages already, and working with Pogacar put time into Uran. There was no guarantee Pogacar would just lead them up, he wanted the win as well - and didn't need time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    Just watched this, great stage, and a beaut of a climb. Thought vingegaard did the right thing working with pog to secure second on gc.

And the way he came back to get second was *chef's kiss*
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

hypster said:

Worked with them and put more time into Uran - or sat on and gone for the stage in the last 100m.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    andyp said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

All that would have happened would be Pogacar soft pedalling and the Uran group catching back up or Carapaz and Vingegaard having to pull.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Perez, who had looked good with only a few Kms to go eventually lost 16 minutes!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited July 2021
    If Pogacar wants to go to the front and do all the work then let him. See also Cancellara, Sagan, Van der Poel, Evenepoel……
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I suspect Bike Exchange and Bahrain will push hard to drop Cav on the second 4th cat climb which looks quite tough as it is just before the bonus sprint.

Colbrelli is too far back to be of any concern. Unless Bling gets in the break that'll likely mop the big points up (or the peloton is leading the race at that point), Cav won't be all that fussed.
    Where did Matthews gain his points? When I looked before the rest day I thought he was only a point ahead of Colbrelli and about 100 behind Cav. I know they both gained quite a few points yesterday and Colbrelli more than Matthews. Did Matthews pick a load up over the weekend that I missed?
    Before the rest day the gap was 279vs207, Matthews picked up 20 on the day into Andorra so perhaps its the 279vs187 on the day prior to that that you are recalling.

Matthews then added 13 from the sprint and 22 from the finish to add to his 207 to take him to 242 whilst Cav was stuck on 279.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited July 2021
    hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

You could see Pogacar and Vingegaard talking with eachother and they knew Carapez was bluffing. They know Caparez is not strong.

Funny thing is, Vingegaard was a domestique for Roglic, so who knows what could have happened if Roglic did not crash out of the race. Definetly would have been alot closer at the front.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    zest28 said:

You could see Pogacar and Vingegaard talking with eachother and they knew Carapez was bluffing. They know Caparez is not strong.

Maybe I have misunderstood, but how was Carapaz bluffing, but also not being strong?

He was bluffing riding on the back and not being able to take turns, or when he went on the attack?
    If the latter, I don't think the two of them had any time to talk, as Pogacar headed up the road straight after Carapaz.

Apologies if I have misunderstood what you wrote.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    edited July 2021
    daniel_b said:

zest28 said:

Maybe I have misunderstood, but how was Carapaz bluffing, but also not being strong?

He was bluffing riding on the back and not being able to take turns, or when he went on the attack?
    If the latter, I don't think the two of them had any time to talk, as Pogacar headed up the road straight after Carapaz.

It's Zest - he seems to have a magic keyboard that converts anything he types to complete nonsense.

Edit - actually it does make sense. Apparently it was Carapez that they knew was bluffing but it was Caparez they know is not strong (I have no idea who either of those riders are though).
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Pross said:

daniel_b said:

zest28 said:

It's Zest - he seems to have a magic keyboard that converts anything he types to complete nonsense.
    Maybe, though you can bluff about how strong you are whilst still not being strong enough to do anything with it when the bluff is revealed. Which is more or less what happened.
  • Pross
    edited July 2021
    larkim said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Before the rest day the gap was 279vs207, Matthews picked up 20 on the day into Andorra so perhaps its the 279vs187 on the day prior to that that you are recalling.

Matthews then added 13 from the sprint and 22 from the finish to add to his 207 to take him to 242 whilst Cav was stuck on 279.
    Yeah, it seems he pulled back points on Saturday and Sunday. It was after Cav's last stage win that he had the seemingly unassailable lead (he should still have enough providing he doesn't have a disaster tomorrow).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Carapaz was trying to bluff but I don't think he fooled anyone.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    edited July 2021

Vingegaard told Pogacar that he knew Carapaz was bluffing because his facial expression didn't change when they eased off.

So, no Oscar for Richard...........Gone for a Burton.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Carapaz's attacks have been pretty savage, but with no real depth. he can drop almost anyone but he can't sustain it long enough and gets pulled back.

Vingegaard says he knew he was bluffing and knew the attack was coming, and knew where it was coming. He couldn't follow it though and opted to pace himself.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Vingegaard told Pogacar that he knew Carapaz was bluffing because his facial expression didn't change when they eased off.

What do they make of Quintana? His facial expression hasn't changed since 2012
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

What do they make of Quintana? His facial expression hasn't changed since 2012
    Mincemeat?