TDF 2021: Stage 17 Muret > Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet 178.4 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    At least Pog was kept quite honest by Vinegar.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    jam1e said:

Bollocks.

There were a pair on display in a lime green mankini yes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    LOL
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2021
    Carapaz needed to.wait 250m more
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    Well, if there was any doubt. This race had the guts ripped out of it on the very first mountain stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    For anyone that's interested, this time calculator for the cut offs works pretty well.

https://www.velofacts.com/cx-laps/tour-de-france-2021-time-limit-calculator.html

Pretty easy to predict the cut off based on the time schedules so whilst I'm getting excited about Cav making or not making the cut I reckon it's pretty much a done deal as they get on their bikes in the morning, providing nothing untoward happens during the day.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mididoctors
    Pogacar over estimated himself there. Carapaz flicking them both was comedy gold
  • mididoctors

Well, if there was any doubt. This race had the guts ripped out of it on the very first mountain stage.

First time trial
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,587
    Pretty sure Pog was smiling on Carapaz's wheel just before Vingergaard got back.

It feels like we regularly look forward to a battle between young riders for years to come that never materialises but it does feel like Pog and Vingergaard (plus hopefully a fit again Bernal) could become a bit of a cycling equivalent of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Quite happy with that. Carapaz not getting anything out of trying to mug a viking
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Wiggins really struggles with riders' names.
  • above_the_cows
    Pross said:

Wiggins really struggles with riders' names.

That well known Polish rider Raphael Majka

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

It's been notable for Vingegaard coming from nowhere to ride with the best in the world.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Piss poor tactics from Carapaz, I think.
  • hypster
    I guess we can call him Dick Dastardly from now on!
  • hypster
    LOL!
  • above_the_cows
    hypster said:

He's moved onto the podium and he tried to move ahead of Vingegaard. What do you think he should have done instead?
  • mididoctors
    Everyone in under time
  • mididoctors
    hypster said:

Best tactics he has used all tour
  • Pross
    Cav in a minibus at 34.10 a couple of minutes behind the 52 seater
  • Pross

hypster said:

He's moved onto the podium and he tried to move ahead of Vingegaard. What do you think he should have done instead?
    Agreed, thought he played it well but Pog was too strong for him. I think he did genuinely struggle when Pog first attacked and may have needed some time to recover after Castro paced him back
  • Pross
    Tomorrow is a coefficient 5 luckily as that will probably make the time cut similar to today. At the same percentage as today they would probably only had a 20-25 limit. I suspect Bike Exchange and Bahrain will push hard to drop Cav on the second 4th cat climb which looks quite tough as it is just before the bonus sprint.
  • hypster

hypster said:

Co-operated with Pogacar and Vingegaard to put even more time into Uran. I hope Uran knocks him off the podium.

• Pross said:

I suspect Bike Exchange and Bahrain will push hard to drop Cav on the second 4th cat climb which looks quite tough as it is just before the bonus sprint.

Colbrelli is too far back to be of any concern. Unless Bling gets in the break that'll likely mop the big points up (or the peloton is leading the race at that point), Cav won't be all that fussed.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    hypster said:

hypster said:

Co-operated with Pogacar and Vingegaard to put even more time into Uran. I hope Uran knocks him off the podium.

He took 1.50 out of him and there's another stage tomorrow. He only lost 36s to Uran in the first TT. He now leads him by a minute and a half. Carapaz wanted the stage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hypster
    RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

He took 1.50 out of him and there's another stage tomorrow. He only lost 36s to Uran in the first TT. He now leads him by a minute and a half. Carapaz wanted the stage.
    In doing so he treated Pogacar and Vingegaard like mugs. I'm sure Pogacar will bide his time and pay back Carapaz in Spades. Hopefully that will be on tomorrow's stage and Uran can get some time back. He's a better time-trialler than he showed in the first TT as well.
  • Pross
    hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

In doing so he treated Pogacar and Vingegaard like mugs. I'm sure Pogacar will bide his time and pay back Carapaz in Spades. Hopefully that will be on tomorrow's stage and Uran can get some time back. He's a better time-trialler than he showed in the first TT as well.
    It's a mountain stage, there's little to be gained by sharing the work. Pog initiated the attacking, Carapaz lost ground initially then sat in once he got back. If you attack on a mountain you need to be prepared for others to just follow and wait for their moment. I really don't get why people are trying to make something out of it.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I suspect Bike Exchange and Bahrain will push hard to drop Cav on the second 4th cat climb which looks quite tough as it is just before the bonus sprint.

Colbrelli is too far back to be of any concern. Unless Bling gets in the break that'll likely mop the big points up (or the peloton is leading the race at that point), Cav won't be all that fussed.
    Where did Matthews gain his points? When I looked before the rest day I thought he was only a point ahead of Colbrelli and about 100 behind Cav. I know they both gained quite a few points yesterday and Colbrelli more than Matthews. Did Matthews pick a load up over the weekend that I missed?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

Where does it say in these unwritten rules, that if you are attacked but don't get dropped, you have to work with the guy who attacked you?
    Plus why on earth would Carapaz work with a guy who is 1 second ahead on GC?

You must have been listening to the nonsense ITV were spouting.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • hypster

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

RichN95. said:

hypster said:

hypster said:

Where does it say in these unwritten rules, that if you are attacked but don't get dropped, you have to work with the guy who attacked you?
    Plus why on earth would Carapaz work with a guy who is 1 second ahead on GC?

You must have been listening to the nonsense ITV were spouting.
    Well Vingegaard had no problem working with Pogacar even though he was trying to drop him. The pair of them were so pissed off with Carapaz's tactics that they obviously agreed at one point to try and work together to drop him. Nobody likes a wheel-sucker obviously.