TDF 2021:- Stage 10, Albertville > Valence 190.7 km**Spoilers**

1234568»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    So cut offs aside, it's only really the polka dot up for grabs still, half way through...!
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Disappointed by Bouhanni in that finish - he launched at the same time as Cavendish and then just went backwards. Really odd.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

OK, now will you guys agree the green jersey is sown up?

Need to wait until after tomorrow.

The Andorra stage is a potential banana skin as there's a climb straight from the gun.
    Also the Tourmalet/Luz Ardiden stage is only 130kms long, so the cut off will be less.
    Agreed, though it's not his first rodeo and i think he's climbing fine, else he'd have been out the back with Demare on Sunday.
    Will his lack of preparation time affect him as the race goes on though?

The other sprinters need to realise that they have to get in front of Cav early. They keep coming back at him but it's been too late.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588

Disappointed by Bouhanni in that finish - he launched at the same time as Cavendish and then just went backwards. Really odd.

Agreed, night and day.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    We've seen plenty discretion applied by the commisaires in the past when it suits them, and for the good of the race.
    Really can't see them punting Cav off the Tour. This is such a massive feel good story there's no way they're going to willingly lose out on the publicity.
    Especially now he has a very real chance of not only equalling the record, but surpassing it 🤞
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    So I missed ECHELONS

And MY MAN win a third stage.

Not much then.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross

We've seen plenty discretion applied by the commisaires in the past when it suits them, and for the good of the race.
    Really can't see them punting Cav off the Tour. This is such a massive feel good story there's no way they're going to willingly lose out on the publicity.
    Especially now he has a very real chance of not only equalling the record, but surpassing it 🤞

Even if they let him stay in then he would lose all his points (the wording of the rule is ambiguous but that is what the ES commentary said is the case a few days ago).
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Pross said:

Even if they let him stay in then he would lose all his points (the wording of the rule is ambiguous but that is what the ES commentary said is the case a few days ago).
    It does look like a properly hard stage tomorrow, I do wonder how it will go.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross

So I missed ECHELONS

Not much then.

The echelons were a bit half-hearted to be honest. The roads weren't ideal for them.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Pross said:

So I missed ECHELONS

Not much then.

The echelons were a bit half-hearted to be honest. The roads weren't ideal for them.
    And it was in the last 15k. It was hardly going to cost Pogacar the race. Although you'd have thought it was on a knife edge listening to Hatch
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited July 2021
    Mark Cavendish is definitely finished. Not even the quickest sprinter in his leadout today, apparently :D

• bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Pross said:

The green jersey would be nice but he doesn't seem particularly driven by it. He said as much in his interview afterwards today - he's interested in stage wins and the green jersey comes as a consequence. I'm sure he'd love to win it again however!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    DQS just on fire. More he wins the more they win. 2019 was a great story and this one is right there with that race.
  • I guess it’s just the big climbs that are a potential problem for him now, but presumably he’ll have the entire Wolfpack dragging him up if need be.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    Cav wasn't the fastest guy in that sprint probably not the second fastest ...he was perfectly timed thou .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Greipel was fastest, according to the tweet above. Probably because he never had his nose in the wind though.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    Alaphilippe can be a bit of a maverick at times but you can't fault him as a team player in this Tour.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Cav wasn't the fastest guy in that sprint probably not the second fastest ...he was perfectly timed thou .

Doesn't matter who was fastest if you cross the line first...

• bobmcstuff
    Dammit gifs don't seem to work
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff

Damn you...

Ah I see by quote you've linked the actual gif whereas I think I basically downloaded the still and uploaded it to BR's crappy image uploader thing.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Top speed doesn't mean much without knowing how long they maintained that speed for.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bobmcstuff
    elbowloh said:

Top speed doesn't mean much without knowing how long they maintained that speed for.

Or if they started miles back. No use going faster if you're too far behind
  • bobmcstuff

You almost had me? You never had me - you never had your bike... Cross chaining not double shifting like you should. You're lucky that late leadout didn't blow the legs on your sprinter! You almost had me?

Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Isn't there a minimum age to use this forum?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    gsk82 said:

Isn't there a minimum age to use this forum?

Got some bad news for you- Fast and furious came out in 2001.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

So cut offs aside, it's only really the polka dot up for grabs still, half way through...!

Alaphillipe has worn Yellow and Green already this Tour, he might fancy a day or two in the Polka Pots, just for the hat trick.