Rim Brake Sales

1235»

Comments

  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Rubbish Ugo. Soz dude.

    get wheel

    put tape on

    put tyre

    on spin to make sure its central

    peel backing tape off.

    it not rocket science. its putting a bicycle tyre on

    buy some Conti Sprinters £30 for all round use have a look at the prices and buy what you want.

    stop trying to make this stuff seem complicated and put people off trying stuff.

    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    To be fair to Ugo you do have a habit of saying everything is a “10 minute job” or “it’s not rocket science” when the the reality is for most folk it most certainly is more than a 10 minute job.

    Of course people should try stuff if they want to but don’t dumb it down. Maybe everyone doesn’t have as much experience as you.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited July 2021
    Ok

    i lied.

    1m 55 here, but to be fair, I've never needed some one to help me put a tyre on a rim and never used a tool under the tyre - I just pick it up and peel off the backing.

    including pumping it up, call it nigh on 5 mins

    this really, really isn't rocket science.

    however, if you want to keep on thinking is massively difficult expert only impossible takes years of experience to do black art big me up, then thats cool by me.

    https://youtu.be/EeEZdq9py-c
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,028



    I just got sick of the expense of replacing tyres rather than inner tubes - the little Velox repair kit was cool but I could never actually restitch a tub successfully and sealant whilst simpler often didn't seal.

    agghh repairing tubs is a nightmare. Unpick stitching hopefully in the right place, repair inner tube then restitch with some sail makers needle hoping you don't re-puncture the inner tube on a tub covered in glue.

    Good clinchers are so much easier, 00 seconds to change an inner tube, 5 minutes to repair, which you can even do by the roadside, especially if you run out of spare tubes.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,093
    As I said, I did go the tubular route for a while. I became quite confident in fitting tyres. After the 45 degrees angle valve, I stopped using tape and started using glue. It's not rocket science, it never is... however, running tubulars had a number of drawbacks.
    The cost of the things and availability... maybe now it's better but I doubt. Planet X used to stock Vittoria at reduced price for a while, unsurprisingly they ran out and the game ended. Repairs... you puncture a tube, you bin it or patch it, there is hardly any cost involved either way. With tubs, you had to send them to Peter Burgin R.I.P. or you could use the foam on the road side, but then the tube could never be patched again and foam is not a permanent fix, so to be used sparingly and possibly only on older tyres. It doesn't always work either.
    Then of course you can't carry as many spares as you would with inner tubes... for Audax brevets I would carry 3 spare inner tubes, you can't really carry 3 tyres with you. And yes, on one occasion I had to use all three of them, although changing the whole tyre might have reduced the need to two. I know of a guy who does Audax on tubs... he recently had to fork out for a long taxi ride back, when his tyre punctured beyond foam repair.
    I did find it a bit of a faff, in a different, but similar way as I do find the tubeless thing a bit of a faff... brilliant when it works, but problems are magnified when it doesn't... a bit like hydraulic disc brakes, going back to the OT.

    Inner tubes are much of a muchness, they work and when they stop working you replace them.
    Do they deflate quickly and might result in the tyre running off the rim? It is possible, but as somebody would say, in 40+ years it has never happened, so why bother?
    left the forum March 2023
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

    Ok

    i lied.

    1m 55 here, but to be fair, I've never needed some one to help me put a tyre on a rim and never used a tool under the tyre - I just pick it up and peel off the backing.

    including pumping it up, call it nigh on 5 mins

    this really, really isn't rocket science.

    however, if you want to keep on thinking is massively difficult expert only impossible takes years of experience to do black art big me up, then thats cool by me.

    https://youtu.be/EeEZdq9py-c


    I didn’t say any if that but at the risk of repeating myself what’s easy to you probably isn’t to someone else.

    FWIW I’ve never used tubs & probably never will but it wouldn’t stop me having a go.

    Everyone is different though.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ibr17xvii said:

    MattFalle said:

    Ok

    i lied.

    1m 55 here, but to be fair, I've never needed some one to help me put a tyre on a rim and never used a tool under the tyre - I just pick it up and peel off the backing.

    including pumping it up, call it nigh on 5 mins

    this really, really isn't rocket science.

    however, if you want to keep on thinking is massively difficult expert only impossible takes years of experience to do black art big me up, then thats cool by me.

    https://youtu.be/EeEZdq9py-c


    I didn’t say any if that but at the risk of repeating myself what’s easy to you probably isn’t to someone else.

    FWIW I’ve never used tubs & probably never will but it wouldn’t stop me having a go.

    Everyone is different though.
    why won't you out of interest?

    gen eyebrows robocop question.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

    ibr17xvii said:

    MattFalle said:

    Ok

    i lied.

    1m 55 here, but to be fair, I've never needed some one to help me put a tyre on a rim and never used a tool under the tyre - I just pick it up and peel off the backing.

    including pumping it up, call it nigh on 5 mins

    this really, really isn't rocket science.

    however, if you want to keep on thinking is massively difficult expert only impossible takes years of experience to do black art big me up, then thats cool by me.

    https://youtu.be/EeEZdq9py-c


    I didn’t say any if that but at the risk of repeating myself what’s easy to you probably isn’t to someone else.

    FWIW I’ve never used tubs & probably never will but it wouldn’t stop me having a go.

    Everyone is different though.
    why won't you out of interest?

    gen eyebrows robocop question.


    Good question.

    TBH I guess I'm very much from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp & I guess it boils down to the fact that I've never really had a load of hassle with punctures to think I need another solution to try tubs or even tubeless.

    I suppose it's the same as some folk would think of with rim brakes - they've always been fine, I've never had any issues with them & yes there may be something that is "better" but I'm quite happy with what I've got.

  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Harry von Fairzees that.
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

    As I said, I did go the tubular route for a while. I became quite confident in fitting tyres. After the 45 degrees angle valve, I stopped using tape and started using glue. It's not rocket science, it never is... however, running tubulars had a number of drawbacks.
    The cost of the things and availability... maybe now it's better but I doubt. Planet X used to stock Vittoria at reduced price for a while, unsurprisingly they ran out and the game ended. Repairs... you puncture a tube, you bin it or patch it, there is hardly any cost involved either way. With tubs, you had to send them to Peter Burgin R.I.P. or you could use the foam on the road side, but then the tube could never be patched again and foam is not a permanent fix, so to be used sparingly and possibly only on older tyres. It doesn't always work either.
    Then of course you can't carry as many spares as you would with inner tubes... for Audax brevets I would carry 3 spare inner tubes, you can't really carry 3 tyres with you. And yes, on one occasion I had to use all three of them, although changing the whole tyre might have reduced the need to two. I know of a guy who does Audax on tubs... he recently had to fork out for a long taxi ride back, when his tyre punctured beyond foam repair.
    I did find it a bit of a faff, in a different, but similar way as I do find the tubeless thing a bit of a faff... brilliant when it works, but problems are magnified when it doesn't... a bit like hydraulic disc brakes, going back to the OT.

    Inner tubes are much of a muchness, they work and when they stop working you replace them.
    Do they deflate quickly and might result in the tyre running off the rim? It is possible, but as somebody would say, in 40+ years it has never happened, so why bother?

    how old are you Ugo?
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,093
    edited July 2021
    MattFalle said:

    As I said, I did go the tubular route for a while. I became quite confident in fitting tyres. After the 45 degrees angle valve, I stopped using tape and started using glue. It's not rocket science, it never is... however, running tubulars had a number of drawbacks.
    The cost of the things and availability... maybe now it's better but I doubt. Planet X used to stock Vittoria at reduced price for a while, unsurprisingly they ran out and the game ended. Repairs... you puncture a tube, you bin it or patch it, there is hardly any cost involved either way. With tubs, you had to send them to Peter Burgin R.I.P. or you could use the foam on the road side, but then the tube could never be patched again and foam is not a permanent fix, so to be used sparingly and possibly only on older tyres. It doesn't always work either.
    Then of course you can't carry as many spares as you would with inner tubes... for Audax brevets I would carry 3 spare inner tubes, you can't really carry 3 tyres with you. And yes, on one occasion I had to use all three of them, although changing the whole tyre might have reduced the need to two. I know of a guy who does Audax on tubs... he recently had to fork out for a long taxi ride back, when his tyre punctured beyond foam repair.
    I did find it a bit of a faff, in a different, but similar way as I do find the tubeless thing a bit of a faff... brilliant when it works, but problems are magnified when it doesn't... a bit like hydraulic disc brakes, going back to the OT.

    Inner tubes are much of a muchness, they work and when they stop working you replace them.
    Do they deflate quickly and might result in the tyre running off the rim? It is possible, but as somebody would say, in 40+ years it has never happened, so why bother?

    how old are you Ugo?
    2 years older than you, but in better shape... ;)

    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

    MattFalle said:

    As I said, I did go the tubular route for a while. I became quite confident in fitting tyres. After the 45 degrees angle valve, I stopped using tape and started using glue. It's not rocket science, it never is... however, running tubulars had a number of drawbacks.
    The cost of the things and availability... maybe now it's better but I doubt. Planet X used to stock Vittoria at reduced price for a while, unsurprisingly they ran out and the game ended. Repairs... you puncture a tube, you bin it or patch it, there is hardly any cost involved either way. With tubs, you had to send them to Peter Burgin R.I.P. or you could use the foam on the road side, but then the tube could never be patched again and foam is not a permanent fix, so to be used sparingly and possibly only on older tyres. It doesn't always work either.
    Then of course you can't carry as many spares as you would with inner tubes... for Audax brevets I would carry 3 spare inner tubes, you can't really carry 3 tyres with you. And yes, on one occasion I had to use all three of them, although changing the whole tyre might have reduced the need to two. I know of a guy who does Audax on tubs... he recently had to fork out for a long taxi ride back, when his tyre punctured beyond foam repair.
    I did find it a bit of a faff, in a different, but similar way as I do find the tubeless thing a bit of a faff... brilliant when it works, but problems are magnified when it doesn't... a bit like hydraulic disc brakes, going back to the OT.

    Inner tubes are much of a muchness, they work and when they stop working you replace them.
    Do they deflate quickly and might result in the tyre running off the rim? It is possible, but as somebody would say, in 40+ years it has never happened, so why bother?

    how old are you Ugo?
    2 years older than you, but in better shape... ;)

    i struggle through.... 😎😎
    .
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.