Rim Brake Sales

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    step83 said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

just learn to brake properly and rim brakes are perfectly fine for descending anything.

Just don't draft w@nkers who are head down racing on their disc brakes bikes...
    Do what you do on a motorbike, sit up an act as an air brake, its surprisingly effective, an if the one in front is still head down get out from behind them. More frontal area the better.
    It was more of a call back to a poster from a while back, but valid point!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,061
    pblakeney said:

Trying to think of the longest, hardest braking I've done. Madelaine? Luz Ardiden?...hmmm. Had to involve hairpins and not be a fast drag. Dunno...
    Anyway, all negotiated safely on rim brakes. UK hills are piece of....over before you know it.

Don't know about that. Ever come down from Dun Fell, Lowther or the Bealach? They are long enough and poorly engineered enough to cause any issues one would wish to cause.

And yet they don't unless you drag your brakes.

But then I could overheat the brakes of my car doing that. If you ever get passed on the Bealach by one of the tossers who have rented a super car to do the NC500 that is in fact what you can smell.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    The other week a club member did his 10 mile PB on his Lo Pro bike, kind of late 80s technology (Croce d'Aune Brakes, DA 7400 crankset...) with a Soviet built rear disc wheel... of course he also has a modern TT setup, but it goes to show how little has really improved in over 30 years... not enough to make up for a couple of mph wind in a better direction or a slightly lower air pressure on the day... basically hardly noticeable difference... background noise
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,576

pblakeney said:

Trying to think of the longest, hardest braking I've done. Madelaine? Luz Ardiden?...hmmm. Had to involve hairpins and not be a fast drag. Dunno...
    Anyway, all negotiated safely on rim brakes. UK hills are piece of....over before you know it.

Don't know about that. Ever come down from Dun Fell, Lowther or the Bealach? They are long enough and poorly engineered enough to cause any issues one would wish to cause.

And yet they don't unless you drag your brakes.
    Precisely. There is plenty time for the brakes to cool between braking points, and that's if they even get hot in the first place.
    Disc brakes are the solution to wearing out rims, and that's about it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Wouldn't it be crazy if someone developed tyres where they were safer if they punctured as they didn't go flat straightaway, didn't explode on descents, you could tape them on in 3 minutes so no faffing with levers, tubes, if you did get a puncture you'd just fill them with foam from a can and the Pros used them.....

blimey. sounds almost mega.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

Wouldn't it be crazy if someone developed tyres where they were safer if they punctured as they didn't go flat straightaway, didn't explode on descents, you could tape them on in 3 minutes so no faffing with levers, tubes, if you did get a puncture you'd just fill them with foam from a can and the Pros used them.....

Sprints have always been "race only"... pricey and often delicate, not to speak about the fact that the fitting requires quite a lot of experience...
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021
    Sorry - what you on about Willis?
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

I quite liked the idea of those Nitinol tyres as well.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Last time I looked at this thread it had two posts, now it has one hundred, can't be bothered reading them all but I expect it has entered into a disc v rim argument.

For my twopence I'm all for rimming 😁
  • MattFalle
    Tbh, its been quite a good discussion - hasn't descended into the normal tat.

Its what the forum should be - people using the place as a pub to discuss stuff and bicker and pizz take and ask Ugo what he is on about.
  • ugo.santalucia
    yeah, it's not been too bad
  • MattFalle
    Still trying to work out your post above though dude.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Sprints have always been "race only"... pricey and often delicate, not to speak about the fact that the fitting requires quite a lot of experience...
    this one
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805
    edited July 2021
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

just learn to brake properly and rim brakes are perfectly fine for descending anything.

Just don't draft w@nkers who are head down racing on their disc brakes bikes...
    A lot braking distance is not about what braking system you use but how much you weigh.

Have posted it before but I was riding in the wet with a friend who was on an expensive bike with discs but he was 75 odd kilos and I was 60 odd - had a couple instances where we had to make fairly abrupt stops downhill and I always stopped noticeably sooner.

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,117
    MattFalle said:

And as much as PMark will only ever buy disc bikes I have no intention of ever buying one.

Well, I've tried one and own two (and a half - off-road mash up is disc front)
    Having grown up with rim brakes (first bike had steel rims plus side pulls :# ), I never considered discs until I tried a mountain bike.
    Now...well, I live near the Chilterns and the roads and weather can be sketchy. Like most cyclists, weight is irrelevant for me, and as for the home mechanics bit...I can learn.
    One thing I would say - having recently gone back to a v-brake (on the back of the mash up), I'd forgotten how decent they are (at least in the dry).
    But regular rim brakes? No, thanks. Done with that.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,117

Has anyone mentioned ride quality yet? Disc brakes need very stiff fork legs to transfer the braking force without getting chatter. All of the dsic braked bikes I've ever ridden are quite wooden and harsh as a result (albeit only 3).

I remember the first carbon-forked road bike I ever owned. When I lined the front hub up with the bars in my eye line, I could see it move when I went over bumps. Probably that was a bit extreme, but that little bit of compliance is present in my rim-braked bikes and they are much more enjoyable to ride as a result. They also feel more planted somehow - almost as though they are following the road rather than getting your wrists and elbows to do that part.

Yes the one disc braked road bike I've owned is similarly harsh at the front end. Considering it's steel I was hoping for some of the springyness of the old steel race frames I used to own but there's none of it.
    Possibly a side-effect of thru-axles?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I have two bikes both with rim brakes. My Supersix has DA and Campy Eurus wheels and the braking is fantastic. My Caad13 has 105 DM callipers and I use Shimano RS10 Wheels. The braking is awful in comparison - any idea why? I have adjusted the pads, cleaned them and the rims but to no avail. I thought DM callipers were meant to be better than standard?
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

this one
    What do you mean? Sprints is another word for tubulars...
  • ugo.santalucia
    secretsam said:

MattFalle said:

And as much as PMark will only ever buy disc bikes I have no intention of ever buying one.

Well, I've tried one and own two (and a half - off-road mash up is disc front)
    Having grown up with rim brakes (first bike had steel rims plus side pulls :# ), I never considered discs until I tried a mountain bike.
    Now...well, I live near the Chilterns and the roads and weather can be sketchy. Like most cyclists, weight is irrelevant for me, and as for the home mechanics bit...I can learn.
    One thing I would say - having recently gone back to a v-brake (on the back of the mash up), I'd forgotten how decent they are (at least in the dry).
    But regular rim brakes? No, thanks. Done with that.
    What is so special about the Chilterns? I've lived and cycled there for years... yes, there are potholes and yes, gravel is common at the bottom of the descents... how are disc brakes going to avoid potholes or gravel?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,066
    secretsam said:

Possibly a side-effect of thru-axles?

thru-axles, what a royal PITA they are

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

this one
    What do you mean? Sprints is another word for tubulars...
    the whole response you put.

tubs aren't difficult tricky to put. that's clubbie bullshitand you know it.

get wheel

apply tape

put tub on

peel off tape backing

inflate

3 mins no faffing no hassle no nothing.

absolutely no experience needed at all.

they aren't race only or fragile - loads of people use them for commutin' racin' trainin' whateverin' - as tough as any clincher

They aren't expensive. You can pick them up for £15 onwards

i honestly wish people would stop bullshittingpeople about tub usuage
  • First.Aspect
    I don't understand your argument that they don't deflate as fast as clinchers though MF. If you get a flat you get a flat. Okay, so perhaps you can't get explosive decompression from melting the braking surface of your cheap mail order rims, but that's the only one I can think of.
    You just thinking that they are good cos you can carry on riding them for a bit when flat?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,066

I don't understand your argument that they don't deflate as fast as clinchers though MF. If you get a flat you get a flat. Okay, so perhaps you can't get explosive decompression from melting the braking surface of your cheap mail order rims, but that's the only one I can think of.
    You just thinking that they are good cos you can carry on riding them for a bit when flat?

They use to roll off if you heated your rim too much with braking but maybe the glue is better these days, it is 30 years since I used tubs.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    davidof said:

They use to roll off if you heated your rim too much with braking but maybe the glue is better these days, it is 30 years since I used tubs.
    you can also get colour pictures on your tv as compared to 30 years ago.
  • MattFalle
    edited July 2021

yup - no EXPLOSIVE decompression.

safer

faster per £ ratio

cooler

used by Pros

endorsed by Boonen

what more can you want?

as an aside, the cheap mail order rims are the same Hunt and that price bracket, but just cheaper due to lack of associatedbullshit

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,913
    I'd never go back to tubs but if you don't find them too much faff you do get a lighter stronger rim and a degree of respect for sticking with old school cycling technology.

I just got sick of the expense of replacing tyres rather than inner tubes - the little Velox repair kit was cool but I could never actually restitch a tub successfully and sealant whilst simpler often didn't seal.

Plus even using tape a roadside change is a bit of a pita and then isn't tape meant to affect the rolling resistance anyway. As for gluing them - I just don't want to make fitting a tyre into a hobby - though some tubeless rim-tyre combinations do make you revisit whether gluing tubs was so bad after all.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

yup - no EXPLOSIVE decompression.

safer

faster per £ ratio

cooler

used by Pros

endorsed by Boonen

what more can you want?

as an aside, the cheap mail order rims are the same Hunt and that price bracket, but just cheaper due to lack of associatedbullshit

To borrow your phrase I'd suggest that bit is "clubbie bulls**t".

• MattFalle
    De V speaks rational, balanced, nice, respectful sense.

FACT

Props.
  • MattFalle
    Lucy Worsley uses tubs.

no more discussion needed.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Tubs are safer, especially if glued... taped less so. I had a front taped one which I found with a 45 degree valve at the bottom of a descent.
    Like MF, I used them for a while, like MF in essence to look cool, as I wasn't racing. I got fed up pretty quickly, the cost and hassle involved in repairs, the fact that the choice is very limited and as you go into the inexpensive ones, you get total turdx, like Vittoria Rally. So basically it was down to Vittoria CX or Pave', the Conti Competition were impossible to find at priced at 60 quid each 10 years ago!
    They are not as obvious to fit as MF makes it, it takes a while to get one right, and you need to be confident to want to do it on the road, especially with tape...
    People don't want to use them, other than for racing, and it makes total sense to me