Rim Brake Sales

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248

MattFalle said:

How many cables do you know to have snapped?

Personally, not hearsay.

You've obviously not used Ultegra 11 speed shifters ;)
    Don't mix shift cables with brake cables, the latter are much beefier and don't have to be looped around the unit. I have never heard of a viable brake cable failing. Leaky hydraulic lines are fairly common.

Anyway, the bottom line is that for 2 grand + you buy a low range 8.5 kg disc bike or a lower-mid range 7.5 kg rim bike... it's a no brainer.

If you have 8 grand to spend, then it might be worth considering the disc braked option... or not
    left the forum March 2023
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    edited July 2021
    MattFalle said:

Personally, not hearsay.

1 - mine.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    AFAIK the component makers haven't stopped making rim brake calipers. If they did, some niche maker e.g. Velo Orange, AX Lightness, TRP etc will fill the gap. As someone said, a few years time and there will be rim braking sold as some new marketing miracle.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    oxoman said:

Ugo, I spent about a tenner on a bleed kit that does my mtb and best road bike. Not had an issue other than replacing pads, very easy to do and plenty of youtube tutorials online. And yes my lbs is booked up for wks in advance as are most. A bit of care and a paper tissue is all that is required.

Yep same I’d avoided hydro disc brake stuff but then had a go and with a £20 kit plus oil it was done in less than 5 mins, super simple and about 100x easier than tubeless setup

My next mission is cutting a carbon fork and routing internal cables 😳
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    katani said:

All you need to bleed a Shimano system is flat 7 and 8mm spanners, a syringe with a hose, a small plastic bottle and the brake fluid. I purchased such a brake bleeding set 5 years ago for a couple quid and still have it in case I needed it. The system when installed correctly should be 100% air tight so there shouldn't be any need for any more work. Learning is watching a 5min. GCN video on YT. You can 100% DIY, but you do need a bike stand for it or at least something to place the frameset above the floor with the wheel set removed.

All I need to adjust my rim brakes is a couple of Allen keys, just saying.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    edited July 2021

katani said:

All you need to bleed a Shimano system is flat 7 and 8mm spanners, a syringe with a hose, a small plastic bottle and the brake fluid. I purchased such a brake bleeding set 5 years ago for a couple quid and still have it in case I needed it. The system when installed correctly should be 100% air tight so there shouldn't be any need for any more work. Learning is watching a 5min. GCN video on YT. You can 100% DIY, but you do need a bike stand for it or at least something to place the frameset above the floor with the wheel set removed.

I just need the one.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    i thought they - and 105 - ate gear cables?

are they really that bad?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Personally, not hearsay.

1 - mine.
    So 1.

I wouldn't say that's many tbh.

and i presume you have owned more than 1 bike?
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

katani said:

I just need the one.

this.

one allen key and no videos and no fluid and no olives and no bleeding kit and no rags and none of yhe other jazz and no need to wash it all down afterwards because the fluid will eat my paint.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I have a contend sl2 disc that I upgraded to proper 105 hydraulic. It’s very nice but to be honest, I’d trade it for a rim braked bike and simplify my tool kit somewhat. But ride quality is excellent, it still comes in at around 9kg and the braking in the wet is very good.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    (Should have said - cr@ppy weather/winter bike)
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Personally, not hearsay.

1 - mine.
    So 1.

Yep.

Certainly not many but it’s 1 more than the number of hydraulic failures you’ve had I’d wager.

My point is wherever you stand on the disc v rim debate to say you have more confidence in cables is nonsense IMHO.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    In 40 years of cycling I have never had a brake cable snap on me. I have however seen people blow their hydraulics.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Hydraulics are not that complicated, but cables are a little simpler I accept. I've had a brake cable fail on a motorcycle, those cables are a lot stronger than bicycle brake cables. I trust hydraulics more, but nothing is infallible.
  • ibr17xvii
    webboo said:

In 40 years of cycling I have never had a brake cable snap on me. I have however seen people blow their hydraulics.

On a road bike?

How have they “blown”?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

MattFalle said:

Personally, not hearsay.

You've obviously not used Ultegra 11 speed shifters ;)
    Don't mix shift cables with brake cables, the latter are much beefier and don't have to be looped around the unit. I have never heard of a viable brake cable failing. Leaky hydraulic lines are fairly common.

Anyway, the bottom line is that for 2 grand + you buy a low range 8.5 kg disc bike or a lower-mid range 7.5 kg rim bike... it's a no brainer.

If you have 8 grand to spend, then it might be worth considering the disc braked option... or not

Yes it's the shifter cables that snap not the brake cables admittedly.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    ibr17xvii said:

webboo said:

On a road bike?

How have they “blown”?
    No mountain bike. Those hydraulic calliper brakes that were the state of the art before discs. Cable blew off.
    My mate who has a bike shop and is an aircraft engineer has known people over heat their disc brakes which I’m led to believe is not a good thing if you want to stop.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

this
  • MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Personally, not hearsay.

1 - mine.
    So 1.

Yep.

Certainly not many but it’s 1 more than the number of hydraulic failures you’ve had I’d wager.

My point is wherever you stand on the disc v rim debate to say you have more confidence in cables is nonsense IMHO.
    cables have worked perfectly for decades and decades and decades

4 years of hydraulics and the workshop pages of BR are filled with tales of wo.

cables have are simple, safe, cheap, easy to change, easy to monitor.

hydraulics, not so much.
  • MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Personally, not hearsay.

1 - mine.
    So 1.

Yep.

I'm 47.

Learnt to ride at what, 5.

Never had a cable snap in 42 years.

I reckon they are alright.
  • ibr17xvii
    edited July 2021
    MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Personally, not hearsay.

1 - mine.
    So 1.

Yep.

I'm 47.

Learnt to ride at what, 5.

Never had a cable snap in 42 years.

I reckon they are alright.

FWIW me too but my point still remains the same.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Personally, not hearsay.

1 - mine.
    So 1.

Yep.

cables have worked perfectly for decades and decades and decades

4 years of hydraulics and the workshop pages of BR are filled with tales of wo.

cables have are simple, safe, cheap, easy to change, easy to monitor.

hydraulics, not so much.

They aren't filled with tales of woe from hydraulic failures though that would make you lack confidence in them.
  • MattFalle
    we're not just discussing failures here, we're discussing weight, looks, installation, maintenance, hood shape and size, parts changing, parts availability, cost, general everything.

to which cables are much better.
  • MattFalle
    To a certain part of the market, discs are the panacea to all evils, a must have, a feature that is a "game changer", something that has lived in Pandora's box only coming to the fore now, something that they feel they must have both for themselves and to fit in with what they been told they must have to reach the pinnacle of cycling performance lifestyle they have been sold, a flatterer of their ego and an opener of their wallet/purse that also leads to further expense, to another section they are a "meh", an unnecessary, something that will merely reduce the level of purity, simplicity, looks, performance, traditionality, modernity and overall pleasure of the bi-cycle.

its a funny old world, eh.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Many things are simpler with rim brakes... the pads rub the rim? Get off the bike and center the caliper in 5 seconds or open the quick release lever a notch and you're off... pads rub in a disc setup? It's a 5 weeks ordeal, trying to understand the cause, then you realise you have to face the fork, then after that the problem is not solved, so off to find some conical washers, except after that the pad no longer is in complete contact with the rotor, so back to the drawing board...

Obviously if you are someone who enjoys getting the tools out, it's probably a good way to spend weekends, but to be honest I am past the point where I enjoy the spannering... I do what is needed and no more.

But the bottom line is always the same... you can't buy a 7 kg disc braked bike for less than 5 grand, which means it's a non starter if you care about your times up the climbs...
    left the forum March 2023
  • MattFalle
    fancy swapping your forks?

10 min job with rims.

hydraulics: oh.

shifter swap?

10 min job with cables

hydraulics: oh

so now both infernal gear cabling/wiring and infernal hosing? funk that.

at least with cables you can use a magnet/piece of cotton.
  • MattFalle
    allegedly you can't even store your bike with the front wheel hanging up with hydraulics according to some bloke who posted an article up here a while.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

we're not just discussing failures here, we're discussing weight, looks, installation, maintenance, hood shape and size, parts changing, parts availability, cost, general everything.

to which cables are much better.

I was more referring to ugo's point that he had more confidence in cables than hydraulics.

All of the above is absolutely fair but there is no doubt at all in my mind that in poor conditions they outperform rim brakes. That's not to say that most folk won't be perfectly fine on rims it's just that discs are better. IMHO.
  • MattFalle
    So in a minute amount of riding conditions for the far majority of people an over complicated, heavy, expensive, faffy braking system is the way forward?

• ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

So in a minute amount of riding conditions for the far majority of people an over complicated, heavy, expensive, faffy braking system is the way forward?

I didn't say it was the way forward & it depends on how often you ride primarily in winter whether it's a minute amount or not.