TDF 2021: Stage 6, Tours > Châteauroux 160.6 km **Spoilers**

123457»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,833
    ddraver said:

I...did not.

Thanks for making me feel bad, Pross 😥

I think it was Rich who pointed it out last year when people were talking up Bennett as the new kid on the block.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Screw you too Rich! 😭
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,347

Not unconvinced Alpecin shouldn't be backing MVDP in these sprints.

Agreed.
    After his wind tunnel TT training, you're now making him a lead sprinter?
    Probably saving himself for tomorrow actually.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    Last year when he won the Green Jersey the commentators were going on about the old generation (Sagan) handing over to the new generation. They were both born in 1990.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    orraloon said:

Indeed. Latest episode recorded after the stage 5 ITT with a bit of retrospective on earlier stages. Pair of experienced pros discussing events. Good listen. (Their theme music is good as well 😊)

I liked Thomas sitting in the car following Rowe during the TT and just telling him Dad Jokes.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Just listening to it now, and agree totally about it being a good listen - they're perfectly relaxed chatting to each other.

Get the feeling that it's also useful for them to chat about some of those things - the bit about the stress of the Tour right at the end is a good example. They're explaining it for the listener, but in doing so get to share their experience with each other without ever having to have an awkward "do you feel like this too?" kind of conversation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,890
    Chris Horner's on the Butterfly Effect: "Jasper Stevenson". FFS.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,718

Agreed.
    You'll be disappointed to hear that he has confirmed he doesn't think he is a GC rider.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,347
    edited July 2021

Agreed.
    You'll be disappointed to hear that he has confirmed he doesn't think he is a GC rider.
    Even I didn't think he was a GC rider. He should focus on everything else.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,135
    Ha, I wondered when that would get brought up; we've had it with Cancellara, Sagan, etc and now Mathieu.
    Isn't what he's doing good enough? Mixing 3 disciplines, and world class at all 3.....

He'd have to lose weight, whilst keeping most of the power, do training camps, give up loads of racing, etc He'd have to be a totally different rider......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,718

Agreed.
    Even I didn't think he was a GC rider. He should focus on everything else.
    I'm sure Ineos would have a good go at turning him into a mountain domestique.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,898
    Too big to be a GC rider surely.
  • RichN95.
    He hasn't got the patience to be a GC rider
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited July 2021
    RichN95. said:

orraloon said:

Indeed. Latest episode recorded after the stage 5 ITT with a bit of retrospective on earlier stages. Pair of experienced pros discussing events. Good listen. (Their theme music is good as well 😊)

I liked Thomas sitting in the car following Rowe during the TT and just telling him Dad Jokes.
    Just played it now, great listen, really entertaining.
    They also correctly predicted Cav winning his 2nd stage.

Don't agree that had Ewan been there Cav would definitely not have won, and be winning more than one stage.
    From memory (Without studying results and footage) Ewan can blow quite hot and cold, and I've seen him not always position himself as well as he might.
    Add to that the fact that Cav is on a massive wave of confidence, and arguably has the best leadout train, and leadout man.

I'd say there is a chance it would have gone differently, but for me it's 50/50 at best.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18