TDF 2021: Stage 6, Tours > Châteauroux 160.6 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137

hypster said:

Most exciting opening week to a TdF that I can remember. Alaphilippe, van de Poel, Cav and Pogacar all racing flat-out instead of the usual, repetitive sprint-fest. And now some hills and mountains to finish things off.

Apart from the fact that Cav won them, neither of those sprint stages have been any different to a normal TdF sprint stage IMO - obviously the fact Cavs won them is poetic etc but they were pretty bog standard sprint stages weren't they.

As always it's the riders that make the race... couldn't have been scripted better this year
    First one was very good as it looked like they messed up chasing the lone survivor.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229

hypster said:

Most exciting opening week to a TdF that I can remember. Alaphilippe, van de Poel, Cav and Pogacar all racing flat-out instead of the usual, repetitive sprint-fest. And now some hills and mountains to finish things off.

Apart from the fact that Cav won them, neither of those sprint stages have been any different to a normal TdF sprint stage IMO - obviously the fact Cavs won them is poetic etc but they were pretty bog standard sprint stages weren't they.

As always it's the riders that make the race... couldn't have been scripted better this year
    Well my point being usually we start with a short, boring prologue followed by several sprint stages which are largely pretty unremarkable irrespective of who wins. This year we have already had two thrilling uphill finishes, an interesting time trial and three exciting sprint finishes in the first six stages. We also seems to have several riders who actually look like they are interested in winning something rather than just surviving the first week.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    edited July 2021
    bobones said:

So lone breakaway rider caught with 250 metres to go was just bog standard fayre?

Yes that was nail-biting. But it was only really the last 5 or possibly 10km (ie when a sprint stage is normally worth watching from) and it does happen relatively often - once or twice in a year of GTs?

I'm not saying it wasn't good to watch - I'm a bit hoarse from 2 Cav wins personally - but if it was a different winner they would have been written off as fairly standard sprint stages.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    Cav will get over the mountains, I'm sure of it. It'll be tough for him, but it'll be tough for everyone. The gruppetto will be huge on the toughest days, and Mørkøv will pace it right. I think he's got enough mates in the peloton to make it work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

hypster said:

Lacked cows.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    I reckon there might be vaches tomorrow. We should probably have a klaxon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    On their Watts Occurring podcast, Thomas and Rowe think he'll get to Paris without drama, they reckon DQS will put 3 riders with him through the mountains

It's a good listen BTW, never got round to it before but lots of level headed thoughts from experienced guys.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Watts Occurring

That is an excellent name.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194

On their Watts Occurring podcast, Thomas and Rowe think he'll get to Paris without drama, they reckon DQS will put 3 riders with him through the mountains

It's a good listen BTW, never got round to it before but lots of level headed thoughts from experienced guys.

Indeed. Latest episode recorded after the stage 5 ITT with a bit of retrospective on earlier stages. Pair of experienced pros discussing events. Good listen. (Their theme music is good as well 😊)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

Cav will get over the mountains, I'm sure of it. It'll be tough for him, but it'll be tough for everyone. The gruppetto will be huge on the toughest days, and Mørkøv will pace it right. I think he's got enough mates in the peloton to make it work.

I'm sure it doesn't count for much, if anything, but on the first couple of stages he came in ahead of some of the other sprinters after the final climb. There could be a multitude of reasons for that, but it doesn't scream out that he's any worse going uphill than they are.

Morkov suggested the other day that Cavendish had been working specifically for the Tour just in case he got lucky. Leaving aside the observation that the harder you work the luckier you get, it suggests he was doing at least some work on his climbing as well.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited July 2021

Watts Occurring

That is an excellent name.
    They're Welsh don't you know... ;)

It's usually a good listen for an insight into the thoughts of the peloton and Ineos in particular (obvs). They had some good thoughts about Frau Opa Omi too which it seems ASO have listened to.

Speaking of podcasts, Boulting picked out that Cav 'beat' both Tony Martin and Chris Froome in the TT yesterday which suggests that he has some good legs outside of the last 200m too.

The third thought I had whilst walking the pup is, What has happened to Arnaud Demare? I...well...in a way I'm quite pleased about it, but I'd have expected him to be doing a lot better than he is. Without Ewan, probably winning all the sprints.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    Not unconvinced Alpecin shouldn't be backing MVDP in these sprints.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Feel bad for Sam Bennett and a tad guilty for feeling happy for Cav
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754

Agreed.
  • ddraver

If Sam was 30 something, I'd feel worse. He has plenty of tours to come

(🤥)
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,515
    Too many of the best sprinters are on the same teams. It's like Ineos with GC riders.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,515

Agreed.
    After his wind tunnel TT training, you're now making him a lead sprinter?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Big glass censored alert!

*breast*
    Trying to work out what got censored. Tit? Boob?
    Boobies? Baps? Knockers?
    norks?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited July 2021

Too many of the best sprinters are on the same teams. It's like Ineos with GC riders.

Not sure that's totally fair on DQS. When they signed Cavendish he was a bit of a sad joke (© Jammiedodgeruk) and Jakobsen was out of action for the foreseeable.

Alpecin-Fenix's apparent campaign to hoard unhappy sprinters looks like achieving its goal though. Don't think Merlier or Philipsen are in a terribly good place right now.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,384

Not sure that's totally fair on DQS. When they signed Cavendish he was a bit of a sad joke (© Jammiedodgeruk) and Jakobsen was out of action for the foreseeable.

Alpecin-Fenix's apparent campaign to hoard unhappy sprinters looks like achieving its goal though. Don't think Merlier or Philipsen are in a terribly good place right now.
    Cav's beaten both of them a few times now, so no great surprise.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Yeah, it's more the way they're swapping roles that makes me think they're unhappy - hard to imagine either of them wanting to give 100% to the leadout.
  • ddraver
    edited July 2021
    I'm not sure there's a protocol for what you do what the lead out man is clearly much stronger than the sprinter to be fair...

Anyhoo,
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,599
    edited July 2021

It’d be a different story had Ewan not crashed out.

(As much as it pains me to say)
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    Can only race against who is there and those who are there are arguably the best
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    edited July 2021

Agreed.
    After his wind tunnel TT training, you're now making him a lead sprinter?
    He's not done the wind tunnel or the tt training.

His sprinters keep getting beat, I think he'd be at least as good.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

It’d be a different story had Ewan not crashed out.

(As much as it pains me to say)
    In the two sprints Cav has won he has managed to get round Merlier and Philipson where as Ewan managed to run into Merliers back wheel when he tried to get round them.
    I’m not convinced it would have been a different story plus you need to be there to contest these things. How many times has Cav blown it by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,599
    🤨🤨🤨
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    edited July 2021
    Irrespective of blame, incidents involving Sagan appear to have played a big part in Cav's
    hit rate.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    ddraver said:

If Sam was 30 something, I'd feel worse. He has plenty of tours to come

(🤥)
    I can't work out if you were joking but you do realise he's 30 already?
  • ddraver
    I...did not.

Thanks for making me feel bad, Pross 😥
    - @ddraver