TDF 2021: Stage 5, Changé > Laval Espace Mayenne 27.2 km **Spoilers**

12346»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Super nice
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,593

MvdP in 5th, keeps yellow

I'd consider some TT practice if I was him, that's a great ride for his 9th TT

He's mixing it in amongst the podium finishers in the world champs. Not shabby.
    But he seems to like racing in the form of MTB, cyclocross and the classics, so why add another discipline? Especially one that is a bit dull and doesn't have much competition, but has enough to not make it trivial. He could probably win something on the track as well.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    rozzer32 said:

What’s he going to be like when he gets a bit older

He'll probably be trying to fight the 2 year ban handed to him by the UCI.

• mididoctors
    La Porte under the radar
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    G looks demoralised
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

rozzer32 said:

Ooh. What do you know?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230

MvdP in 5th, keeps yellow

I'd consider some TT practice if I was him, that's a great ride for his 9th TT

He's mixing it in amongst the podium finishers in the world champs. Not shabby.
    But he seems to like racing in the form of MTB, cyclocross and the classics, so why add another discipline? Especially one that is a bit dull and doesn't have much competition, but has enough to not make it trivial. He could probably win something on the track as well.
    How much time in the wind tunnel and on the tt bike would it take to show an improvement?
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited June 2021
    I think Uran would be happy with that. Latour looking like an Alaphillipe minor
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I've just spent all that time sending invitations to peer reviewers with only the sound on in the background...

Did I miss any cows?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    edited June 2021
    No much in the way of herds
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Not really a fan of time trial watching so got me looking at the mass crowds with no masks or social distancing at a time when France are apparently worried enough about Covid transmission to all but ban visitors from UK.

I realise they are outside where I am told transmission is less but we are hearing of mass transmission from the England - Scotland game which was also outside (obviously)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited June 2021
    The movement in the GC is more interesting than the actual time gains and losses.
    One thing that didn't go right for Pogacar was Brandon McNulty crashing and making a right old mess of both his knees. Finished dead last almost 7 minutes down.

Anyhow the non Pogacar GC winners:
    Lutsenko +6 places
    Latour +3
    Uran +7
    Roglič +10
    Thomas +6
    Fuglsang +1
    Bilbao +3
    Porte +16

And today's losers:
    Alaphilippe -2
    Carapaz -6
    Kelderman -8
    Mas -7
    Gaudu -7
    Quintana -10
    Nibali -3
    Higuita -8
    Chaves -7
    Hamilton -5
    Buchmann -2

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    zest28 said:

dannbodge said:

Can MVDP climb?
    Is he likely to go backwards in the mountains?

He can climb better than Bernal as he has dropped him this year. So he is pretty good.

The question is, is it wise for him to burn all his matches for short term glory in the TdF and pay the price at the Olympics.
    1/10. You're going to have to bring you best trolling game to the Tour and that's a piss poor start.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,827

rozzer32 said:

I doubt it. His boss/team owner has a lot of anti doping connections…..

Just not necessarily for the right reasons 😂😂
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited June 2021
    Pogacar is coached by Road World Championship medallist Andrej Hauptman, who is also head coach and head of selectors for the Slovenian national cycling team. Hauptman first saw Pogacar race in 2011 when he saw the latter pursuing a group of much older teenagers from 100 metres behind. Thinking that Pogacar was struggling to keep up with the older riders, he told the race organisers that they should provide some assistance to Pogacar: the organisers explained that the younger rider was in fact about to lap the group he was chasing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadej_Pogačar

I guess he has form.
  • mididoctors
    Laporte is under the radar
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Laporte or Latour?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Kid's the one.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490

rozzer32 said:

Ooh. What do you know?
    I think it's some sort of Bot account that spews out a similar comment every year at this time.
  • Pross
    andyp said:

zest28 said:

dannbodge said:

Can MVDP climb?
    Is he likely to go backwards in the mountains?

He can climb better than Bernal as he has dropped him this year. So he is pretty good.

The question is, is it wise for him to burn all his matches for short term glory in the TdF and pay the price at the Olympics.
    1/10. You're going to have to bring you best trolling game to the Tour and that's a piss poor start.
    It was a step up from his previous comment that Carapaz (former Giro winner and Vuelta runner up) is a climber not a GC rider.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

rozzer32 said:

It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • lescargot
    lescargot Posts: 2
    edited July 2021
    womack said:

Not really a fan of time trial watching so got me looking at the mass crowds with no masks or social distancing at a time when France are apparently worried enough about Covid transmission to all but ban visitors from UK.

Stops lurking just long enough to deflect the thread by commenting “say what”?

From UK to France if fully vaccinated and a PCR test done then it’s “ bienvenu, “ you are “in”, no quarantine….

Going France to UK is by comparison an absolute sod/PITA.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    19 seconds between 1st and 2nd. Only gap bigger than that is between 176th and 177th - second last and last.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,593

19 seconds between 1st and 2nd. Only gap bigger than that is between 176th and 177th - second last and last.

Isn't that statistically the most likely outcome? The mode, median and mean would be expected to be in the middle with the extremes more spread out.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Really disappointed by Pog's rivals. They're gonna need to take what, 4 minutes in the mountains? No way that is happening.
  • Pross
    edited July 2021

Really disappointed by Pog's rivals. They're gonna need to take what, 4 minutes in the mountains? No way that is happening.

You wouldn't really expect much better from Carapaz, Geraint must be in quite a bit of discomfort (but hasn't really been looking in great form anyway) and Roglic was impressive considering how badly ripped up he is. It's really just Pog is in great form and only likely to get better. That said it still remains to be seen if he can handle someone like Carapaz in the higher mountains - I suspect he can but there's still a chance he might crack if put under enough pressure.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Pogacar is simply on another level. If he actually had a team, he'd be pretty much unbeatable. Would you ever pick someone else for GC if he rode for Ineos? I think he is even considerably better than Bernal.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023