1234568»

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited June 2021
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

(How the hell does he get the second shot sharp?!?)
    Manual settings. Fast shutter speed, small aperture. Freezes the motion and has a large depth of field. The aperture/depth of field is the most important factor.
    Plus a bit of tracking?
    No, the spokes wouldn't be sharp.

One extra element is a modern camera - to an extent the ability to dial up sensitivity has broken the traditional trade-off between speed and aperture, meaning you can now have your cake and eat it. At some point you run into noise issues, but it makes some shots technically possible that simply wouldn't be with film.

(Edit - yeah, you'd track the subject whilst firing still, but this isn't a shot where a moving camera is being used as an artistic tool - there's no motion blur)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Manual settings. Fast shutter speed, small aperture. Freezes the motion and has a large depth of field. The aperture/depth of field is the most important factor.
    Plus a bit of tracking?
    Modern cameras all have active focussing with the right settings. Focus on your subject and it will track it. Key is selecting your subject, not letting the camera choose the nearest subject.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Plus a bit of tracking?

One extra element is a modern camera - to an extent the ability to dial up sensitivity has broken the traditional trade-off between speed and aperture, meaning you can now have your cake and eat it. At some point you run into noise issues, but it makes some shots technically possible that simply wouldn't be with film.

(Edit - yeah, you'd track the subject whilst firing still, but this isn't a shot where a moving camera is being used as an artistic tool - there's no motion blur)
    I know how a camera works actually...

I take a lot of photos of birds in flight, so wasn't talking about artistic tools, but rather even wide open, with a high shutter speed and a high ISO you still need to track the subject to get a sharp image.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

ddraver said:

What are those circle things stuck on their arms?
    That's a SuperSapiens blood glucose tracker.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551

ddraver said:

Glucose monitor thing? Seems to be all the rage ATM...
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123

Pross said:

I've had the TV on for 20 minutes so far and all they've done is cover England's glorious second round victory in the Euros. Such a shame the UK media aren't giving Cav's win the attention it deserves.

It wasn't mentioned on R5's sports bulletins at all, and is a small side story a long way down the BBC Sports page.
    Still Dan Moan will write a load of BS denegrating pro-cycling as soon as he has taken his snout out of the soccer trough no doubt.
    R5 sport seem to have dumped cycling; there used to be commentary, plus the weekly podcast. What happened?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

ddraver said:

Thought it might be something like that. For a moment I was wondering if there were that many diabetics in DSQ.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver said:
    Someone come and collect their drunk uncle.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900

ddraver said:

Thought it might be something like that. For a moment I was wondering if there were that many diabetics in DSQ.
    The actual Diabetics ones are considerably smaller. At least the Freestlye Libra ones that the wife uses are.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited June 2021
    JimD666 said:

ddraver said:

The actual Diabetics ones are considerably smaller. At least the Freestlye Libra ones that the wife uses are.
    It uses the same Abbott Libre sensors but the SuperSapiens ones have a patch thing that covers them

They're disallowed in competition, but allowed outside/in training.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Someone's not been listening to The Cycling Podcast.... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    edited June 2021

JimD666 said:

ddraver said:

It uses the same Abbott Libre sensors but the SuperSapiens ones have a patch thing that covers them

They're disallowed in competition, but allowed outside/in training.

I suspect to help keep the temperature from registering too low. Minimum operating temperature is 10C, very easy for it to drop below that when riding in cooler weather (or faster). The amount of time she had to stop and do a finger stick blood sample was frankly silly.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

ddraver said:

Yeah, yeah - that's what they want you to think. It's obvious what it's really for but people don't want to admit it. He could hardly finish a race last year now he's winning Tour stages and suddenly has that on his arm in plain view ;)

(Sorry, there's been a lack of idiot chat this year so thought I'd start some)
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    elbowloh said:

I take a lot of photos of birds in flight, so wasn't talking about artistic tools, but rather even wide open, with a high shutter speed and a high ISO you still need to track the subject to get a sharp image.

But the background's sharp too, so other than getting the subject in frame tracking with the camera has little to do with the sharpness across the whole image - which is what started the discussion.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver said:

Someone's not been listening to The Cycling Podcast.... ;)

I didn't realise this is what they were talking about. I kind of switch off for this stuff.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Very understandable...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Plus a bit of tracking?

I know how a camera works actually...

Slight correction. To increase depth of field you close down the aperture/increase the f-number. I believe that's what you meant but worded wrongly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    andyrac said:

Pross said:

I've had the TV on for 20 minutes so far and all they've done is cover England's glorious second round victory in the Euros. Such a shame the UK media aren't giving Cav's win the attention it deserves.

It wasn't mentioned on R5's sports bulletins at all, and is a small side story a long way down the BBC Sports page.
    Still Dan Moan will write a load of BS denegrating pro-cycling as soon as he has taken his snout out of the soccer trough no doubt.
    R5 sport seem to have dumped cycling; there used to be commentary, plus the weekly podcast. What happened?
    When I turned on at 7.30 this morning they were finishing a chat with someone about Cavendish.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    edited June 2021
    Wrong thread
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    edited June 2021
    Wrong thread
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    flite said:

BBC radio4 did report Cav's win, and played the post-race interview.
    But the total domination of football is ridiculous.

I went shopping yesterday about 7:30 and there were quite a few people about obviously worse for wear after celebrating his stage win.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312

m.r.m. said:

So happy for Cav!!! This was such a long time coming and so deserved. Hope he gets 1 more this Tour and then 2 more next year and 1 more the year after that!

Stupidly arrogant by Alpecin Fenix. There is no guarantee that Merlier would have won that, but changing the sprinter/leadout for no reason and acting like you will be deciding the winner amongst your own team is utter hubris. There is a reason Merlier was the dedicated sprinter for the Tour.

Was a vintage Cav performance though. He would have probably beaten anyone today!

Except I don't think MVDP and Merlier are planning to hang around for three weeks. (not so sure about Merlier's goal but I am guessing he's already achieved it.)
    Philipsen on the other hand is their green jersey card.
    m.r.m. said:

Well if that is the case regarding Merlier and Philipsen, I stand corrected. Was aware MvdP will be leaving. Wasn't aware they would get Merlier a stage and then focus on Philipsen entirely.

They went for Philipsen again today, so you were completely correct! 👍
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    After this stage Mark Cavendish has now won more tour de France stages for quick step than he has for sky, in his 4th tour riding for them.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago