TDF 2021: Stage 4, Redon > Fougères 150.4 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Lovely moment as Cavendish leaves the green jersey podium, pauses right by the exit, looks out at the crowd and shakes his head in disbelief before walking off.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

He was so much faster and he had to start his sprint twice.
    He had to decelerate and then go again.

Thought for a second he was going to get taken out just has they caught the break.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,133
    rozzer32 said:

Nice of FDJ to do the lead out for everyone else. Marc will be happy 😂

What was that about? I don't think Demare was ever there, and they just didn't notice.
  • tailwindhome
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE DUST!
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Absolutely amazing. One for the ages. I'm so genuinely happy for Cavendish. GG
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited June 2021
    Bl00min dusty in here too, probably hayfever actually, pesky pollen.

Shame we didn't get to see what MVDP had to say about Cav's win - they cut away on Eurosport as that was happening.

Shame Wiggins was not in the studio, would have loved to have seen his response.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    daniel_b said:

Shame we didn't get to see what WVA had to say about Cav's win - they cut away on Eurosport as that was happening.

Shame Wiggins was not in the studio, would have loved to have seen his response.

He's probably in the pub...
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    edited June 2021
    That was utterly magical. So happy for him! Its a long while since I've jumped up and down like a lunatic in the living room. Being from Scotland it never happens with football! And snooker and darts ain't that exciting :D
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Prudhomme:. On the first 4 stages Alaphillipe MVDP Cavendish. -. He'll take that!

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I NEED the Cav-Bernie post race hug pics.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

My heart says yes but my mind says no

God Bless your big soppy heart Patrick!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    It was much more comfortable than it looked on the front on camera. That bit where he swerves to avoid van Moer just as Philipsen moves across was a bit hairy though!
  • tailwindhome
    Fair play to Van Moer

That was a great ride
  • Lanterne_Rogue

Fair play to Van Moer

That was a great ride

Yeah, made the stage that.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    Normally always feel gutted for anyone caught in the last couple of hundred meters after a solo/break effort. Finding it a little more tricky today for some reason....

Fine attempt from Van Moer though
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    andyp said:

daniel_b said:

Shame we didn't get to see what WVA had to say about Cav's win - they cut away on Eurosport as that was happening.

He's probably in the pub...
    He's in a villa, somewhere in France, having a spot of relaxing isolation.
    Going to replace Bernie the Bike for the second half of Le Tour. ( I think he mentioned the Ventoux stage)

Fair play to Alaphilippe too.
    Without him talking the initiative and the front of the chase, things might have played out differently.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

Thought for a second he was going to get taken out just has they caught the break.

I was so miffed when he got bumped from a certain guest list in favour of another rugby player.....
  • Pross

Pross said:

I was so miffed when he got bumped from a certain guest list in favour of another rugby player.....
    Not an English one I hope?!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    hypster said:

Hands up who was screaming at the TV? 🖐🖐🖐🖐🖐🖐

I didn't think I was that loud but the sleeping Moggy and Puppy raver both made sharp exits from the room so...I may have been 😊
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

hypster said:

Hands up who was screaming at the TV? 🖐🖐🖐🖐🖐🖐

I didn't think I was that loud but the sleeping Moggy and Puppy raver both made sharp exits from the room so...I may have been 😊
    I definitely was - a couple of "come on Mark" in the run in then full volume when he crossed the line.

I turbo in a lockup behind the house, there's a PT using the next lockup, he had a client in...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    Fan-bloody-tastic!
    So happy for Cav.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    One thing I've learnt today: it's a heck of a lot less stressful watching football when you've already drained your entire stocks of adrenaline for the day.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,313
    So happy for Cav!!! This was such a long time coming and so deserved. Hope he gets 1 more this Tour and then 2 more next year and 1 more the year after that!

Stupidly arrogant by Alpecin Fenix. There is no guarantee that Merlier would have won that, but changing the sprinter/leadout for no reason and acting like you will be deciding the winner amongst your own team is utter hubris. There is a reason Merlier was the dedicated sprinter for the Tour.

Was a vintage Cav performance though. He would have probably beaten anyone today!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    m.r.m. said:

So happy for Cav!!! This was such a long time coming and so deserved. Hope he gets 1 more this Tour and then 2 more next year and 1 more the year after that!

Stupidly arrogant by Alpecin Fenix. There is no guarantee that Merlier would have won that, but changing the sprinter/leadout for no reason and acting like you will be deciding the winner amongst your own team is utter hubris. There is a reason Merlier was the dedicated sprinter for the Tour.

Was a vintage Cav performance though. He would have probably beaten anyone today!

Except I don't think MVDP and Merlier are planning to hang around for three weeks. (not so sure about Merlier's goal but I am guessing he's already achieved it.)
    Philipsen on the other hand is their green jersey card.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,313
    Well if that is the case regarding Merlier and Philipsen, I stand corrected. Was aware MvdP will be leaving. Wasn't aware they would get Merlier a stage and then focus on Philipsen entirely.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023