TDF 2021: Stage 4, Redon > Fougères 150.4 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,186
    Like many, I guess, Cav was the reason I first bought a road bike and why I love this sport. Amazing emotion when he crossed the line and definitely a lot of pollen in the air during that interview
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    And.... Been away from tech and just watched the recording. Nice one Cav. I feel a tear welling.

('course it's all due to me refusing to pick him in PTP)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited June 2021
    m.r.m. said:

Well if that is the case regarding Merlier and Philipsen, I stand corrected. Was aware MvdP will be leaving. Wasn't aware they would get Merlier a stage and then focus on Philipsen entirely.

Confess I tempered my early enthusiasm when I learnt it was Phillipsen rather than Merlier. Less so if Merlier is planning to leave before the mountains. (Though I think getting through the mountains may be a struggle for Cav unless the autobus gods are smiling)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    Unreal - I was gonna say I was only 40 when he got his first win but that doesn't sound that young does it - almost squashed our miniature poodle jumping off the chair when he won - and she would have deserved it for sleeping through the finish.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited June 2021
    It's amazing to think that when Cavendish won his first stage, the idea that Britain might be successful in men's road cycling was a novelty. The disgraced David Millar could turn in a result but beyond that Wiggins was good for a decent prologue result, Thomas could hold down a place in a small Tour team and there was Kenyan that some people rated but clearly hadn't got a clue.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

red.rider said:

Like many, I guess, Cav was the reason I first bought a road bike and why I love this sport. Amazing emotion when he crossed the line and definitely a lot of pollen in the air during that interview

Cavendish didn't get me into following cycling, but I remember the first year he rocked up to the Tour de France as the coming thing in sprinting and achieved absolutely sod all before abandoning as planned. There was real, palpable disappointment from Phil & Paul that he hadn't got to show what he could do and they had no doubt that he was going to be the fastest thing on two wheels. They weren't wrong. I doubt they expected this though.

It sticks in my mind because it was the first time I really noticed I was following cycling, rather than just vaguely watching the Tour whilst wasting another summer on the sofa, and later on the first time I realised I'd moved on from just following the Tour was frantically trying to find highlights of his Milan San Remo win.

So yeah, I suspect there's a few of us whose relationship to cycling is at least partially defined, or measured, by Cavendish's career.
    My first Tour was 1986, I was 4. I used to watch with my dad and was obsessed with Greg Lemond, especially his Z Peugeot jersey in 1990 and later trying to re-enact/emulate Abdoujaparov's crash tastic sprinting technique, with the scars still to prove it.

I then dipped in and out during the Armstrong years and then remeber my dad ringing me (he never rang me) in 2008 after Cavendish's Chateauroux win asking me if I was watching the Tour. I hadn't been but started to watch that year after that. The following year I made the point of going to my parent's to watch the final Champs stage after Cav's amazing 5 previous stage wins that Tour. And I just remember how we sat there speechless when he just destroyed everyone before breaking out in collective laughter at the amazing thing we'd just seen.

I got back into watching more and more because of Cavendish, and it was something my dad and I shared (again), being happy whenever he won, watching races together whenever we were together, and sharing a love for Cav and his ups and downs.

My dad died last year. He'd have really enoyed today.
    Lovely story.

Clearly too much emotion for me today 😪
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,597
    Could have worn some better specs no wonder his eyes were watering.

(Proper fun sprint that)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Didn't he only get a chance at Quick Step this season due to persuasion from Brian Holm. So let's all sing "It's Brian Holm, It's Brian Holm, Cycling's Brian Holm"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    RichN95. said:

It's amazing to think that when Cavendish won his first stage, the idea that Britain might be successful in men's road cycling was a novelty. The disgraced David Millar could turn in a result but beyond that Wiggins was good for a decent prologue result, Thomas could hold down a place in a small Tour team and there was Kenyan that some people rated but clearly hadn't got a clue.

There were threads on here saying who is he and what chance has a kid from the Isle of Man got in that company. But then there was disbelief when Brailsford announced a new team called Sky with the intention of putting a British cyclist in the yellow jersey with the aim to win the TdF.
  • ddraver
    Was BikeRadar even BikeRadar when Cav won his first stage or what it CyclingPlus..?
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    RichN95. said:

Was thinking that earlier. It was in that spell of the dark days where I'd stopped following cycling. I knew Geraint Thomas had been riding around at the back of the Tour, the trackie Wiggins was getting some training in on the road scene but other than that did know of many Brits racing. I remember hearing of some bloke called Cavendish winning a stage and thinking he must have got it a lucky break then I heard he won another and realised he must actually be quite good.

Started watching again in 2009 and really enjoyed the Hushovd battles for a few years. That year also got Wiggins having a weird fluke result. A Brit would never get higher than his 4th in my lifetime though.
  • kurtalden
    kurtalden Posts: 1
    Bit lost for words really, I'm just so made up for Cav.

He didn't have a team until December and Quickstep but that looked to me as more like a marquee signing as it were.

“We are happy to have him return to our family, as he is a leader and brings across a wealth of experience that he can share with our young riders, but at the same time we are confident he still has something to give to the team,” said Lefevere.

Then he smashes it in the Tour Of Turkey and anything seemed possible but then he falls out of favor with Lefevere, dashing any hopes of doing the tour.

"He gave up after Ruta del Sol stage 3 saying that it wasn't a race for sprinters. Then the day after Greipel won. Tour de France is too hard for him

Then Sam Bennet is unable to go so, literally a week ago, Cav gets the the call and now he's won stage 4 of Le Tour and is in the green jersey with an incredible team around him - it's just unbelieveable, just brilliant and seeing how much he is admired and respected and how happy everyone is for him is the icing on the cake.

"We have more than 100 wins in a Grand Tour, but I never saw the whole staff crying," Lefevere said. "I think the whole staff was crying because everybody went on his emotions. It's typical of the English always to say 'thank you, thank you', but I know if he says it he means it. I said 'you don't have to thank me. You came here on a minimum salary, I gave you the chance, and you can only thank me with your pedals'. And now it's what he did

I can't not quote Christian Prudhomme too..

Today it's the greatest sprinter in the history of the Tour de France who's won afer a drought lasting several years. 50 metres from where he won today, in front of a school, there is a bike rack for kids and written on it is "Mark Cavendish, winner in Fougeres and of 30 stages in the Tour de France". They're going to have to change the sign.

He is an exceptional sprinter and a very sensitive man. I remember his tears several years ago after another barren spell. There, today as well, he was surfing an emotional wave andit was just wonderful. He's got incredible respect for this race and seeing him win today in Fougeres is pure joy

And the best bit..

Happy, happy days
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    Didn't realise he'd been criticised by LeFevere after the RdS.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,957
    RichN95. said:

I started watching when Channel 4 started showing highlights so 1984.
    Little prospect of home glory so always watched for the sport, not nationalism.
    Although, Robert Millar, Sean Kelly, Sean Yates....There were a few to keep us interested before Boardman and I've probably forgotten a few.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

I started watching when Channel 4 started showing highlights so 1984.
    Little prospect of home glory so always watched for the sport, not nationalism.
    Although, Robert Millar, Sean Kelly, Sean Yates....There were a few to keep us interested before Boardman and I've probably forgotten a few.
    tony capper and anc halfords is best forgotten. malcolm elliot was the greatest talent that was born at the wrong time thou
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver

(How the hell does he get the second shot sharp?!?)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    I've had the TV on for 20 minutes so far and all they've done is cover England's glorious second round victory in the Euros. Such a shame the UK media aren't giving Cav's win the attention it deserves.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,384
    Pross said:

I've had the TV on for 20 minutes so far and all they've done is cover England's glorious second round victory in the Euros. Such a shame the UK media aren't giving Cav's win the attention it deserves.

It wasn't mentioned on R5's sports bulletins at all, and is a small side story a long way down the BBC Sports page.
    Still Dan Moan will write a load of BS denegrating pro-cycling as soon as he has taken his snout out of the soccer trough no doubt.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 225
    BBC radio4 did report Cav's win, and played the post-race interview.
    But the total domination of football is ridiculous.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,957
    ddraver said:

Manual settings. Fast shutter speed, small aperture. Freezes the motion and has a large depth of field. The aperture/depth of field is the most important factor.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    Pross said:

Yeah, but unlike the England football team, Cav will probably win again. ;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Arrived home last night after stoically avoiding the result. Wife pipes up "Well, I know the result, I heard it on the radio" at which point I put two and two together - the BBC wouldn't have reported it if Cav hadn't won.

Then at 6:30 whilst waiting for the highlights show, the TdF official email arrived on my home screen "Cavendish sur son 31". Ah well, best laid plans etc. Should have realised it's just better to keep an eye on it at work than even try to avoid spoilers.

Such joy on display yesterday. Thought Prudhomme was very very generous with his comments too, really lauding Cav and his place in Tour history (rightly so of course).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,885

Pross said:

Yeah, but unlike the England football team, Cav will probably win again. ;)
    I was tempted to flag that for abuse!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver said:

What are those circle things stuck on their arms?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

Manual settings. Fast shutter speed, small aperture. Freezes the motion and has a large depth of field. The aperture/depth of field is the most important factor.
    Plus a bit of tracking?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk