Kids treated like puppies

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

I'm not being funny, but how fast can a toddler actually move?

You need context.
    Not fast enough to win the 100m, but fast enough to run onto a road.
    Okay, but why do parents use zip wires in parks and tow paths*

*Infants float, we all know this.
    This I do not know.
    Near roads or cliffs is understandable but that's about it IMO.
    A bit like long haul flights, there are some places that you don't have a god given right to take a small child.
    Who has a right to go on a long haul flight?
    Probably First Aspect, but I'm guessing here.
    If only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,698

I went to the lab to supervise a group of 6 students doing their second year experiments, as they could not do labs during lockdown... Turns out nobody turned up, usual self isolation excuse, that begins to be abused by students who can't be bothered to do any work, especially now with football on at 5 PM. With kick off at 5 PM tomorrow and the labs finishing at 6PM, I wonder how many will turn up...

I have no doubt they were raised on a lead, probably one of those extendible one, not very tight.

So I had a good time doing the experiment myself, you never stop learning things, even when you are supposed to be the one teaching them

I would put that down to kids being given too much latitude to please themselves and a failure to enforce the boundaries of expected behaviour.
    We all see it every day with kids showing indiscipline and no correction from parents.
    If you are teaching second year students at University, then they are adults. That's probably where you are going wrong.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You need context.

This I do not know.
    A bit like long haul flights, there are some places that you don't have a god given right to take a small child.
    If only.
    So you have no right to be on them, but you are complaining about others not having a right to be on them. It's hard to keep up, but I think that's in keeping with the thread.

• First.Aspect

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You need context.

This I do not know.
    If only.
    So you have no right to be on them, but you are complaining about others not having a right to be on them. It's hard to keep up, but I think that's in keeping with the thread.

It is my right to be indignant though.
  • TheBigBean
    Are you one of those people who pay extra for a bassinet seat, and then complain when someone with a baby uses the bassinet? I find it hard to have sympathy with those.
  • First.Aspect

Are you one of those people who pay extra for a bassinet seat, and then complain when someone with a baby uses the bassinet? I find it hard to have sympathy with those.

Yes, yes I am.

What's a bassinet seat?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Yeah, what is it?
    left the forum March 2023
  • TheBigBean
    One like this. You pay extra for the legroom, but run the risk of having a baby next to you.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,931

One like this. You pay extra for the legroom, but run the risk of having a baby next to you.

Would they let you put a dog in one (in keeping with this thread)?
  • TheBigBean

I believe Air France allow dogs. Possibily in their own seats. Not in a baby bassinet though.
  • First.Aspect
    One of the bulkhead seats the enables you to smell the toilet and the kitchen at the same time?

If so, no I try to avoid those. Last time I had one a delightful child was next to me, who was just old enough to have drained the amniotic fluid from its lungs. It was intimating to its mother that being trapped in a noisy, hot, smelly and cramped space for 4 hours was actual child abuse.

Its mother didn't seem to understand, so I swapped seats with its grandmother so she could reassure the mother that the child wouldn't be permanently damaged by being dragged on holiday with its parents, because it wouldn't remember either the flight or the holiday by the time it was old enough to say, "No" when asked if it remembered their parent's holiday to San Fransisco.
  • First.Aspect

I believe Air France allow dogs. Possibily in their own seats. Not in a baby bassinet though.
    Dogs on flights on US short haul as well sometimes. They tend to be really well behaved and happier than being sedated in a crate in the hold. On the flip side if you gave children a tablet with a full charge and put them in a cage in the hold it would make no odds to them and save the rest of the passengers the torture of listening to Angry Birds on chav volume.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

One of the bulkhead seats the enables you to smell the toilet and the kitchen at the same time?

If so, no I try to avoid those. Last time I had one a delightful child was next to me, who was just old enough to have drained the amniotic fluid from its lungs. It was intimating to its mother that being trapped in a noisy, hot, smelly and cramped space for 4 hours was actual child abuse.

Its mother didn't seem to understand, so I swapped seats with its grandmother so she could reassure the mother that the child wouldn't be permanently damaged by being dragged on holiday with its parents, because it wouldn't remember either the flight or the holiday by the time it was old enough to say, "No" when asked if it remembered their parent's holiday to San Fransisco.

My oldest had been to 4 continents before his first birthday (including a few hours in SF coincidentally), but was great on all the flights.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

My oldest had been to 4 continents before his first birthday (including a few hours in SF coincidentally), but was great on all the flights.
    What does he think about them now?
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

I've not asked him, but i've got lots of photos of him having a great time.

Tbf, i have a terrible memory and can't remember a lot of details about trips that i've done.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

elbowloh said:

Probably pleased his parents had such a nice time when he was young.
  • First.Aspect
    edited June 2021

elbowloh said:

Probably pleased his parents had such a nice time when he was young.
    God even I understand that children arefundamentally self-centred and won't give a monkeys until they are much later in life, listening to elbowh reminisce one afternoon when visiting his care home.
  • ugo.santalucia
    And why kids don't have to wear masks? I'm not talking 2 years old... I see all these school age kids going into shops with no masks... why? Is it because, just like dogs, they wouldn't be able to wear one, because they can hardly control their bodily functions at their tender age?
  • briantrumpet

And why kids don't have to wear masks? I'm not talking 2 years old... I see all these school age kids going into shops with no masks... why? Is it because, just like dogs, they wouldn't be able to wear one, because they can hardly control their bodily functions at their tender age?

I suspect it's because in the early days they 'thought' that children wouldn't spread it because they didn't show symptoms (no, I never bought that idea at the time either), and they didn't have the courage to change the regulations.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    OT - but I am more sickened by people picking up dog sh1t than I am dogs sh1tting

To answer the next question my solution would be to ban dogs from all public land
  • briantrumpet

OT - but I am more sickened by people picking up dog censored than I am dogs sh1tting

To answer the next question my solution would be to ban dogs from all public land

Only if we do the same for cats too.
  • elbowloh
    edited June 2021
    Ugo?

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Cats sh1t wherever they want because they know no better. Dogs sh1t in parks, pavements and playgrounds because their twatish owners encourage them to do so.
  • briantrumpet

Cats censored wherever they want because they know no better. Dogs censored in parks, pavements and playgrounds because their twatish owners encourage them to do so.

Give cats nappies then, just like not-potty-trained children.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    This is an annoyance of mine.
    I seem to remember that cats used to bury it. When did this stop? Did it ever happen?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    I hate to break the news to you people, but most animals poo outdoors. You just arbitrarily object to some more than others.

There are very few companion animals that we can realistically have in the UK. Dogs, cats, that's about it. Rodents are too basic to fulfil that role, and it is pretty cruel to keep a parrot or a primate. Cats are naturally pretty unhappy and bored indoors as well.

So, if you like to think of yourself as a member of a society that allows companion animals, you need to have some tolerance. I have to put up with other people and other people's children and trust me I find them both instantly more annoying than any dog or cat.

So whilst it irritates me that people don't take the bag of dog poo home, my gut reaction is not to ban dogs or insist they all stay on a lead all the time, because that is completely unreasonable.

There is an analogy there for cats. It is easy enough to provide litter trays and some tilled areas of garden, but you can't ensure that they are used. Is the reasonable reaction to that to suggest all cats stay indoors? No. That's just nimbyism.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

OT - but I am more sickened by people picking up dog censored than I am dogs sh1tting

If you're the one sickened by it, maybe therapy would be a less drastic course of action.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Wildlife poo is never disgusting, pets poo always is, I think it's down to what they eat. A fox is basically a dog, but their poo is nowhere near as horrible
  • First.Aspect

Wildlife poo is never disgusting, pets poo always is, I think it's down to what they eat. A fox is basically a dog, but their poo is nowhere near as horrible

It is a concentration thing. There aren't many foxes. Here in Ruralshire cat poo isn't a problem either even though there are stupid high cat numbers here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

I don't know, the flying rat shit that lands on the path and the car isn't very pleasant.
    Anyone know the best way to poison pigeons without killing off the smaller birds?