Kids treated like puppies

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688

I'm sure ugo will have some top tips on potty training as well.

Absolutely not... but of course it is true that kids stay on nappies a lot longer than we did... probably a question of convenience... nowadays people have more money than time, hence nappies can be kept for longer...

In primary school we had a kid who used to sxxt himself all the time... we were naughty and enjoyed kicking him in the bum to spread it well...

Ah those innocent happy days!!

You just can't help yourself, can you?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Does the super six need reins?
    Or can any idiot ride it?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

Why is is more freedom loving to hold their hand?

I envy parents who's kids will hold their hand. Mine just won't, regardless of what i do.
    Probably finds it too uncomfortable reaching down so low.
  • Pross

rjsterry said:

Pretty sure reins for children have been a thing since at least the 1970s, ugo. You've just not been looking.

I am a child of the 70s and don't recall such contraptions... I just find it concerning that kids are given a daily routine that is not dissimilar to that of a dog... with set times for physical activity and mental stimulation, zero freedom to experience the world unsupervised and interactions with adults dumbed down to the very basic... almost to the level of learning to respond to basic commands...

It is frightening
    Kids of an age where they need to be on reins, given freedom to experience the world unsupervised?
    Are you a parent?
    I think he has conclusively answered that now in his continued comments on this thread

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Does anyone walk their child by driving along next to them holding the reins? I have seen people do this with dogs.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Take them into shops in their bag?
  • First.Aspect
    morstar said:

Take them into shops in their bag?

Tie them up to a lamp post outside.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Does anyone walk their child by driving along next to them holding the reins? I have seen people do this with dogs.

Seen people cycle with dogs on leads (or with the dog loping alongside) - normally the ones that need a lot of exercise, and there's an old fella round here takes his dog for a walk using his mobility scooter, but for a (presumably mobile adult) to drive their dog for a walk - that's got to be to epitome of laziness.

We never had reins on the kids, at least I don't remember using them.

Someone asked upthread about carrying dogs - I've had to do it a couple of times. Dog just sits down and won't move, i even just dropped the lead and walked off and she just looked at me. Once was towards the end of a 3 hour walk, and the other time it was just in a bad mood, and couldn't be @rsed.
  • Pross
    hopkinb said:

Seen people cycle with dogs on leads (or with the dog loping alongside) - normally the ones that need a lot of exercise, and there's an old fella round here takes his dog for a walk using his mobility scooter, but for a (presumably mobile adult) to drive their dog for a walk - that's got to be to epitome of laziness.

We never had reins on the kids, at least I don't remember using them.

Someone asked upthread about carrying dogs - I've had to do it a couple of times. Dog just sits down and won't move, i even just dropped the lead and walked off and she just looked at me. Once was towards the end of a 3 hour walk, and the other time it was just in a bad mood, and couldn't be @rsed.
    There's actually a sport racing on bikes being pulled by dogs similar to canicross running. Initially an out of season training method for mushing. Don't think it's one I'll try though.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    I posted a picture of the sort of dog carrier I was talking about. They are designed for regular use. It seems to have been quarantined.

• TheBigBean

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    having a dog halloween party and dressing your dog up is a thing

also dress your dog up and take it to a restaurant at Xmas

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Unless your choice of restaurant was Korean, in which case you'd be wrapping your dog in a bun.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    I went to the lab to supervise a group of 6 students doing their second year experiments, as they could not do labs during lockdown... Turns out nobody turned up, usual self isolation excuse, that begins to be abused by students who can't be bothered to do any work, especially now with football on at 5 PM. With kick off at 5 PM tomorrow and the labs finishing at 6PM, I wonder how many will turn up...

I have no doubt they were raised on a lead, probably one of those extendible one, not very tight.

So I had a good time doing the experiment myself, you never stop learning things, even when you are supposed to be the one teaching them
    left the forum March 2023
  • ballysmate

I went to the lab to supervise a group of 6 students doing their second year experiments, as they could not do labs during lockdown... Turns out nobody turned up, usual self isolation excuse, that begins to be abused by students who can't be bothered to do any work, especially now with football on at 5 PM. With kick off at 5 PM tomorrow and the labs finishing at 6PM, I wonder how many will turn up...

I have no doubt they were raised on a lead, probably one of those extendible one, not very tight.

So I had a good time doing the experiment myself, you never stop learning things, even when you are supposed to be the one teaching them

I would put that down to kids being given too much latitude to please themselves and a failure to enforce the boundaries of expected behaviour.
    We all see it every day with kids showing indiscipline and no correction from parents.
  • TheBigBean
    Are we back to quoting Plato (or whoever) again

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    The problem is that they have missed a large part of the education experience this year and we are really trying our best to make sure they get something, going out of our way, reinventing the wheel, extending technicians hours to cater for labs starting earlier and finishing later, so that we can offer them some lab experience in a safe environment... and then some (or many) don't even bother to show up, bringing Covid as the excuse... do 11 out of 12 really have been traced?

It is disrespectful and disappointing and undermines their credibility, when they claim that they should have some money back, for the missed classes...

They'll get what they deserve in the end... a degree with no real value attached
    left the forum March 2023
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

The problem is that they have missed a large part of the education experience this year and we are really trying our best to make sure they get something, going out of our way, reinventing the wheel, extending technicians hours to cater for labs starting earlier and finishing later, so that we can offer them some lab experience in a safe environment... and then some (or many) don't even bother to show up, bringing Covid as the excuse... do 11 out of 12 really have been traced?

It is disrespectful and disappointing and undermines their credibility, when they claim that they should have some money back, for the missed classes...

They'll get what they deserve in the end... a degree with no real value attached

You should be on GB News. 😁
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

On the other hand, they're students, the pubs are now open, it's summer and the footy is on. Students to not go to Uni solely to learn.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Do they do proper wander leads for toddlers?... that would be ace on shared-use paths.
  • First.Aspect
    I'm not being funny, but how fast can a toddler actually move?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    edited June 2021

You need context.
    Not fast enough to win the 100m, but fast enough to run onto a road.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

You need context.
    Okay, but why do parents use zip wires in parks and tow paths*

*Infants float, we all know this.
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

You need context.
    And their speed increases the second you take your eyes off 'em.
    ;)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

pblakeney said:

You need context.

This I do not know.
    Near roads or cliffs is understandable but that's about it IMO.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

You need context.

On tow paths there are a high number of cyclists and runners some of whom are idiots. That and a low desire to go toddler fishing.

In a park, it might be because they want to make progress in one particular direction.
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You need context.

This I do not know.
    A bit like long haul flights, there are some places that you don't have a god given right to take a small child.
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You need context.

This I do not know.
    A bit like long haul flights, there are some places that you don't have a god given right to take a small child.
    Who has a right to go on a long haul flight?
  • ballysmate

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

You need context.

This I do not know.
    Who has a right to go on a long haul flight?
    Probably First Aspect, but I'm guessing here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Mine went and long haul and pretty much slept the whole way. Even had comments from other passengers saying " I wouldn't have known he was on board".

Which is weird as normally he screams loads and doesn't sleep very well.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk