GB News

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Meh it’s from people on twitter who I trust usually but it’s second hand from them.

It’s a forum - I’m not gonna dig into it in huge detail most of the time
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Well, it may just be a forum to you but people read stuff on here and take it away and then repeat it thinking its fact.

its how misinformation spreads.

the least people can do, if they are quoting sources, is to state that source, otherwise its nothing more than ranting of a forum madman/woman.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    MattFalle said:

Well, it may just be a forum to you but people read stuff on here and take it away and then repeat it thinking its fact.

its how misinformation spreads.

the least people can do, if they are quoting sources, is to state that source, otherwise its nothing more than ranting of a forum madman/woman.

Yeah, that's not unreasonable, even if it's just a Twitter thread.
  • rick_chasey
    Ok so you think saying “rumour is” is not enough of a caveat?
  • briantrumpet

We've got no way of judging ourselves if it's complete BS or otherwise.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure - that’s with anything anyone ever posts.
  • MattFalle

this.

• MattFalle

no because some rumours have a basis of fact and some are bs but the average bod won't know whats what.

• MattFalle
    problem is, although you have previously professed yourself to be a student of history and war and stuff, if you don't quote source then people will just start to ignore what you write so the forum will lose your input.

• MattFalle
    especially with emotive subjects such as mad vlad, GB News, Brexit and how scum the Tory Scum are.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2022
    MattFalle said:

problem is, although you have previously professed yourself to be a student of history and war and stuff, if you don't quote source then people will just start to ignore what you write so the forum will lose your input.

That already happens.

I’d say a good 80-95% of posters ignore me anyway.

👍🏻
  • briantrumpet

Sure - that’s with anything anyone ever posts.

As you often quote Twitter, I'm not sure why you didn't with this one.

I too like Twitter for the speed with which it reacts to news, and the fact that it it pretty unfiltered, but even with 'trusted sources', scrolling through responses often gives a much better idea of credibility.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

That already happens.

👍🏻
    ignore who?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

I assume everything is BS until presented with evidence to the contrary.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

MattFalle said:

That already happens.

👍🏻
    and most people don't even read the links they post themselves let alone other people's
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    GB News contributors currently spreading 'only asking questions' style conspiracy theories about the provision of defibrillators in public spaces

Toxic sewer of a channel
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • New presenter on GB News bringing "refreshing directness and an impish sense of fun".

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jan/26/jacob-rees-mogg-to-host-own-chatshow-on-gb-news
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

New presenter on GB News bringing "refreshing directness and an impish sense of fun".

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/jan/26/jacob-rees-mogg-to-host-own-chatshow-on-gb-news

It will be interesting to see how that goes.

Not a fan (no surprise) but I think his key skill is to defend anything (no matter how preposterous) in an incredibly calm manner.

Otherwise I am not sure what he offers. Don’t see him generating interest in a topic.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538

New presenter on GB News bringing "refreshing directness and an impish sense of fun".

Now that should be fun. I await the Cake Stop reaction.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,691
    morstar said:

Not a fan (no surprise) but I think his key skill is to defend anything (no matter how preposterous) in an incredibly calm manner.

Otherwise I am not sure what he offers. Don’t see him generating interest in a topic.
    Odd definition of interesting. Last I heard it was just a load of antivax nutters 'just asking questions'. Would have thought he can do better than those losers.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,922
    Bastion of free speech...isn't it the place someone had to resign for taking the knee BLM style?

Oh you mean free speech but not like that, never like that.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    edited January 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

If you watch, I think you'll have to report back on it.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    I propose, seconder anywhere? that a GBNews fanboi should receive a permanent CakeStop ban.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

Odd definition of interesting. Last I heard it was just a load of antivax nutters 'just asking questions'. Would have thought he can do better than those losers.
    I use the word to cover a broad spectrum.

I do find it interesting to see if he gets any takers. I can’t see how he would.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I haven't watched it since the launch, but may have to go see what everybodys favourite Tory is saying.

I don't think you'll spontaneously combust if you tune in. And there are no fines for a mistake like that.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I haven't watched it since the launch, but may have to go see what everybodys favourite Tory is saying.

I don't think you'll spontaneously combust if you tune in. And there are no fines for a mistake like that.
    I saw a few minutes a month or so back. It's not very good.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I was right then. Mind you, there may be a few calls to the fire brigade if enough Cake Stoppers tune into watch JRM :smile:
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I was right then. Mind you, there may be a few calls to the fire brigade if enough Cake Stoppers tune into watch JRM :smile:
    I think you're the only cake stopper who has expressed excitement about watching him give his opinions on the latest monocles or a buyer's guide to penny farthings.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Jezyboy said:

Bastion of free speech...isn't it the place someone had to resign for taking the knee BLM style?

Oh you mean free speech but not like that, never like that.

What is it I always read - freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequence.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]