DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    KWIATKOWSKI Michal
    PORTE Richie
    ROWE Luke
    THOMAS Geraint
    Reserve.
    DE PLUS Laurens

Thought Van Baarle would be in there. He's did a good job in 2019 and looked OK last year but lost his leader and role early.
    OK, so here's the obvious hypothetical: who would you leave out to put Van Baarle in?
    Castroviejo. He did a *lot* of work at the Giro and could be very tired by the third week. Give him a decent break instead and have him form part of your core team for the Vuelta.
    Was my thinking when I asked myself the question before I initially posted.

It's almost too strong a squad with so many riders that could lead teams elsewhere that finding room for an excellent all-round domestique is difficult.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    RichN95. said:

What are we thinking about jumbo and it's odd prep stratergy . Kuss has looked a bit under

They're certainly not the team of last year. WVA's been ill, Dumoulin absent, Bennett average at the Giro. Only Kruijswijk seems to be OK (Roglic aside)
    For a rider of his pedigree it's surely not been a great year? He's had 7 top 10 GT finishes in his career, but a best finish this year of 15th. If you're going man for man you'd probably put him behind TGH, who is probably Ineos' 4th man. Unless there's a decent improvement from riders like him and Kuss, Roglic could find himself pretty isolated.
  • phreak
    Pross said:

andyp said:

Pross said:

Sounds about right to me:

CARAPAZ Richard
    CASTROVIEJO NICOLAS Jonathan
    DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    KWIATKOWSKI Michal
    PORTE Richie
    ROWE Luke
    THOMAS Geraint
    Reserve.
    DE PLUS Laurens

Thought Van Baarle would be in there. He's did a good job in 2019 and looked OK last year but lost his leader and role early.
    OK, so here's the obvious hypothetical: who would you leave out to put Van Baarle in?
    Castroviejo. He did a *lot* of work at the Giro and could be very tired by the third week. Give him a decent break instead and have him form part of your core team for the Vuelta.

It's almost too strong a squad with so many riders that could lead teams elsewhere that finding room for an excellent all-round domestique is difficult.
    And you have riders like Yates, Dunbar and de Plus who haven't made either the Tour or Giro squad.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    phreak said:

Pross said:

andyp said:

Pross said:

CARAPAZ Richard
    DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    KWIATKOWSKI Michal
    PORTE Richie
    ROWE Luke
    THOMAS Geraint
    Reserve.
    DE PLUS Laurens

And you have riders like Yates, Dunbar and de Plus who haven't made either the Tour or Giro squad.
    I assume Dunbar and Yates will be going to the Vuelta.

The irony is that despite having an embarassingly strong squad they probably won't win the Tour. They should do a Movistar and go all in for the team competition.
  • phreak
    Pross said:

phreak said:

Pross said:

andyp said:

Pross said:

CARAPAZ Richard
    DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    KWIATKOWSKI Michal
    PORTE Richie
    ROWE Luke
    THOMAS Geraint
    Reserve.
    DE PLUS Laurens

I assume Dunbar and Yates will be going to the Vuelta.

The irony is that despite having an embarassingly strong squad they probably won't win the Tour. They should do a Movistar and go all in for the team competition.
    I suppose it depends. Carapaz looks in much better form this season than he did before the Tour last year and he wasn't really a factor at all until Bernal left the race. With Sivakov crashing out early Bernal was often isolated while Jumbo had van Aert still ploughing up the climb.

This year Carapaz looks in great form, with Porte also looking pretty good in Dauphine and Thomas coming into the race off the back of a 3rd, 1st, and 3rd in his last three stage races. We could argue that none of those three are better than Roglic or Pogacar, but they do seem quite comfortably ahead of everyone else, which you'd imagine is perhaps the aim, especially as all three have shown themselves to be reasonable time trialists so should be able to hold their own against the clock.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    It’s worth remembering that Carapaz was supposed to do the Giro last year but was drafted in late. And he had a couple of crashes. And then nearly beat Roglic at the Vuelta.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    RichN95. said:

Is Van der Poel even going to finish? There be must a good chance of dropping out early. And what’s the deal with Olympic COVID bubbles?

That was the thinking when it was discussed during the TdS.
    Second rest day he waves bye bye.

No green love for Michael Matthews?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Is Van der Poel even going to finish? There be must a good chance of dropping out early. And what’s the deal with Olympic COVID bubbles?

I doubt it but if he does I'd have him down as a favourite for Green.
  • Pross

RichN95. said:

That was the thinking when it was discussed during the TdS.
    Second rest day he waves bye bye.

No green love for Michael Matthews?
    Matthews didn't seem in great form at the Tour de Suisse with quite a few stages that suited him.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    How do we rate Froome's chances

of starting.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Cherrs for the roadbook link @RichN95. Shared it with my TdF fantasy league group, they need to do their homework if it's going to be fun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    davidof said:

of starting.

I’d say they’re high. Israel aren’t overloaded with options. He was their second highest rider on GC at the Dauphine. Impetus, Hagen, Neilands and De Marchi are all injured

Woods, Martin, Hermans and Goldstein are certainties. I don’t think there’s anyone that good beyond them.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

davidof said:

of starting.

I’d say they’re high. Israel aren’t overloaded with options. He was their second highest rider on GC at the Dauphine. Impetus, Hagen, Neilands and De Marchi are all injured

Woods, Martin, Hermans and Goldstein are certainties. I don’t think there’s anyone that good beyond them.
    PCS has these 8 atm.

FROOME Chris
    DOWSETT Alex
    HOFSTETTER Hugo
    GREIPEL André
    NEILANDS Krists
    ZABEL Rick
    MARTIN Dan
    WOODS Michael

CyclingFever has these so far.

BEVIN Patrick
    FROOME Christopher
    MARTIN Daniel
    NEILANDS Krists
    WOODS Michael

FirstCycling has only one rider named so far: Chris Froome.

However, perhaps your 2 certainties maybe not so certain?

• RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    Do you think Israel Start Up are going to ride without an Israeli? I don’t.

And I don’t see what you are going to do with Greipel, Zabel and Hofstetter. One C list sprinter is enough top get 8th place in a sprint.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    RichN95. said:

davidof said:

of starting.

I personally think the impetus is with Froome.....

I'll get my coat.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

And I don’t see what you are going to do with Greipel, Zabel and Hofstetter. One C list sprinter is enough top get 8th place in a sprint.

I can see the logic in taking Ben Hermans. He would certainly be in my squad, but Goldstein?
    His only qualification to ride the Tour is the fact he's Israeli.
    It's certainly not his stage racing record. It's quite an achievement when he breaks into the top 50 of a chipper stage race.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021
    ISN have taken an Israeli to every Grand Tour they’ve entered. I don’t expect them to change that.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    RichN95. said:

ISN have taken an Israeli to every Grand Tour they’ve entered. I don’t expect them to change that.

Maybe Chris can get a fasttrack passport?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.

Although in GT terms, it's two where their leader crashed out, one where their leader was Wout Poels and one where Roglic needed Movistar to bail him out.

Pogacar is the one they need to worry about. I don't think Roglic will ever win the Tour or Giro. He had his shot.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    andyp said:

Pross said:

CARAPAZ Richard
    DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    KWIATKOWSKI Michal
    PORTE Richie
    ROWE Luke
    THOMAS Geraint
    Reserve.
    DE PLUS Laurens

I think Dennis is building to come good in the third ... CV for first week then Dennis third
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    I'm interested in who Bahrain are going to pick. They're on great form with Mader and Padun. Will Poels lead? Will Landa be drafted in? Caruso and Bilbao even?
  • RichN95.
    British riders

Definite: Thomas, G-Hart
    Likely: Rowe, Froome, C.Swift
    Possibles: Cavendish

Anyone else?
  • phreak
    RichN95. said:

British riders

Anyone else?

Do we need a "Is British cycling finished?" thread?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95. said:

British riders

Anyone else?

Simon Yates?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    phreak said:

RichN95. said:

British riders

Anyone else?

Do we need a "Is British cycling finished?" thread?
    I could add it as an addendum to my Vikings Are Coming thread if you like, but tbh British cycling looks quite healthy to me.

Danish riders so far, not all confirmed:
    Asgreen, Fuglsang, Cort, Mørkøv, Kragh, Vingegaard, Berg, Mads P.

Think Rich may have missed S. Yates off the list of GB, and maybe Dowsett?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Just looked at the route.

What a snooze week one is.
  • blazing_saddles

Just looked at the route.

What a snooze week one is.

A shocker isn't it?
    First weekend is OK but the mid week stages are coma inducing.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649

RichN95. said:

I can see the logic in taking Ben Hermans. He would certainly be in my squad, but Goldstein?
    His only qualification to ride the Tour is the fact he's Israeli.
    It's certainly not his stage racing record. It's quite an achievement when he breaks into the top 50 of a chipper stage race.
    Some teams get to ride on the basis that they're French tbf