Ollie Robinson , suspended

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    orraloon said:

Yawn. What further omnishambles has Spaffer's Gang fallen into that needs all this deflection?

I bet you have him as a screensaver, Loon. :D
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589

orraloon said:

Yawn. What further omnishambles has Spaffer's Gang fallen into that needs all this deflection?

I bet you have him as a screensaver, Loon. :D
    Screensaver? No. Target practice for discharging some of the MFs' excess kit? Yes. Comienza la revolución.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419

MattFalle said:

Ffs - he's only been suspended.

not sacked from his ECB contract

not fined

not put in prison

just been told he can't play for a couple of weeks but still allowed to collect his ECB salary.

Don't think he would be centrally contracted, nor incrementally contacted come to that as this is his first test.
    So I assume he would be paid on a ad hoc basis with a match fee.
    So it has probably cost him money.
    Oh well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Don't think he would be centrally contracted, nor incrementally contacted come to that as this is his first test.

He won’t do it again then.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ballysmate
    Ben6899 said:

Well, it's been 10 years since he did it, so unlikely that he was thinking of doing it again anyway tbh
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,024
    edited June 2021

So, his sin now isn't what he tweeted but that he didn't delete it?

I see you're still struggling with how social meedja works.

You know these things are up there and searchable until you delete it?

I'll let you into a little tip - google indexes this forum too, so if you want to search for old posts then using google is much more efficient than the search function here.
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Well, it's been 10 years since he did it, so unlikely that he was thinking of doing it again anyway tbh

10years is not a very long time, to be fair.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • ballysmate

I'll let you into a little tip - google indexes this forum too, so if you want to search for old posts then using google is much more efficient than the search function here.
    I am aware that whatever you post is there for posterity until you choose to delete it.
    Just from your previous post, your issue seemed that the post was left up and not deleted and not the fact that he made it in the first place.
  • ballysmate
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Did/have you not change or mature at all in the 10 years between being 18 and 28?
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

I am aware that whatever you post is there for posterity until you choose to delete it.
    Just from your previous post, your issue seemed that the post was left up and not deleted and not the fact that he made it in the first place.
    No, i'm more trying to explain the logic to you according to your own logic.

Even if you want to explain it away as "boys will be boys" which is basically what you feel has happened here, he's had 10 years to think "maybe I should be deleting this stuff".

In this instance, Bally is Lisa

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,142

No, i'm more trying to explain the logic to you according to your own logic.

Even if you want to explain it away as "boys will be boys" which is basically what you feel has happened here, he's had 10 years to think "maybe I should be deleting this stuff".

In this instance, Bally is Lisa

From the examples that have been posted it looks like exchanges between friends. He probably forgot about them within a week. I doubt many people suddenly think "I need to review every social media post I've made in the last decade and delete any someone might dig up and use against me". If you were going for a job as Chief Exec with Age Concern would you be comfortable that you could delete every post on this forum that might cost you the job? How do you stop anyone screenshotting things in something like WhatsApp and then using them if you have a falling out (it feels like a far more risky platform as it's supposed to be more private and secure, I see loads f stuff that people put in chats on there that they would say on Twitter or Facebook for instance).
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,948
    I find the notion racism is fine because everyone grows out of it an absurd argument. What's the age when it's finally considered a problem then?
  • Pross

I find the notion racism is fine because everyone grows out of it an absurd argument. What's the age when it's finally considered a problem then?

Did you never say stupid stuff trying to be funny and impress friends? 18 year olds act like d1cks and say stupid things all the time. Maybe he's racist and sexist, maybe he was an immature teenager writing stupid things that he thought were funny.
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2021

Ben6899 said:

And this is the first relatively minor consequence he's had so what's the problem? It's only one step up from his boss having a word.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

Did you never say stupid stuff trying to be funny and impress friends? 18 year olds act like d1cks and say stupid things all the time. Maybe he's racist and sexist, maybe he was an immature teenager writing stupid things that he thought were funny.
    I'm no spring chicken and the kid who called the only black kid in the year a racial slur when we were 12 got expelled 2 hours later.
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

I might well have done. What I didn't do is publish those stupid actions for posterity on a publicly accessible website.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,569

Pross said:

I'm no spring chicken and the kid who called the only black kid in the year a racial slur when we were 12 got expelled 2 hours later.
    Expelled or excluded?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,850
    I'm not sure it's a relatively minor consequence. Maybe if he was an England regular, and missed a game, but given he's a fair chunk of the way through his playing career, and has only just got called up, it seems like it's pretty serious.

There does seem to be a crossover between people deciding 18 yo boys will be boys, but 15 yo girls who get groomed by terrorist organisations derive to rot though.
  • rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Expelled or excluded?
    They didn't come back. Remember it well as it was one and done - shocked every one. No-one thought it was unreasonable tbf. At least, I don't remember anyone thinking that.

Maybe she had prior, I don't know.
  • Ben6899

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Did/have you not change or mature at all in the 10 years between being 18 and 28?

I did. A lot. I also didn't post anything racist or sexist on social media, in that time.
    Ben

• rjsterry
    edited June 2021
    Jezyboy said:

I'm not sure it's a relatively minor consequence. Maybe if he was an England regular, and missed a game, but given he's a fair chunk of the way through his playing career, and has only just got called up, it seems like it's pretty serious.

There does seem to be a crossover between people deciding 18 yo boys will be boys, but 15 yo girls who get groomed by terrorist organisations derive to rot though.

I guess it depends how seriously you (and he) take professional cricket.

Worth noting that before he posted these tweets he had been sacked by Yorkshire for unprofessional behaviour. One might have thought that was a bit of a warning.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,850
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

I did. A lot. I also didn't post anything racist or sexist on social media, in that time.
    Is that because social media wasn't a thing when you were 18?
  • Ben6899
    Jezyboy said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Is that because social media wasn't a thing when you were 18?

It's because I wasn't sexist or racist. Still neither, tbh.
    Ben

• Pross
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I might well have done. What I didn't do is publish those stupid actions for posterity on a publicly accessible website.
    Do you think you may have done if posting every thought that comes into your head and every movement you make had been the norm at the time though?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,714

Age is part of the consideration, the passage of time is another, were they then in that position of responsibility is another, the seriousness of the offence is another.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

I guess it depends how seriously you (and he) take professional cricket.

Worth noting that before he posted these tweets he had been sacked by Yorkshire for unprofessional behaviour. One might have thought that was a bit of a warning.
    Just to be clear from my point of view, I'm not defending Robinson and I have to admit I hadn't heard of him until he was called up (I pay very little attention to the County game these days). He may well be a complete bellend for all I know but raking things up from 10 years ago suggests he may have matured and stopped at least making his thoughts public if he still actually even thinks such things.

Youngsters do and say stupid things all the time without any thought of the future consequences and as I said in my first post I'm a bit torn on this issue as with it being so high profile I hope it may act as a warning to think before you post. However, most of us ignored advice and warnings from oldies and were never going to turn into boring old farts like them so I don't see why that will change with future generations.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

Ffs - he's only been suspended.

not sacked from his ECB contract

not fined

not put in prison

just been told he can't play for a couple of weeks but still allowed to collect his ECB salary.

He'll be centrally contracted for appearances, travel, medical, club requirements and as part of the squad where ge'll have veen for ages.

this is not costing him anything and even if it is, who cares - the racist loses cash.

boofuckinghoo
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,076

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Expelled or excluded?
    They didn't come back. Remember it well as it was one and done - shocked every one. No-one thought it was unreasonable tbf. At least, I don't remember anyone thinking that.

Have you told her current employer?
  • rick_chasey

mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Expelled or excluded?

Have you told her current employer?
    Eh?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,076
    I know Limmy deleted all his tweets because he offended BTS fans ne time and they started reporting him to twitter for every historical use of the c word. Got him suspended from twitter due to the number of upheld complaints, almost got him banned.