Ollie Robinson , suspended

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

My only issue with the 'taking the knee' before all games is that it is potentially getting to the stage where it is just something that players do and that most are not even giving any thought to why they are doing it. Has it just become a pre-match ritual like the singing of the national anthems or the walking along the line shaking hands with each other?

If the players want to do it and are driving it, then fine as its them making a stand so to speak. If they're being pressured into doing it, then it's pointless.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,076
    Pross said:

My only issue with the 'taking the knee' before all games is that it is potentially getting to the stage where it is just something that players do and that most are not even giving any thought to why they are doing it. Has it just become a pre-match ritual like the singing of the national anthems or the walking along the line shaking hands with each other?

Yes, that's what I mean. It's not an act of defiance until the booing starts.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited June 2021
    It pizzes off racists and the cuntservative party and republucans and trumpers whilst drawing attention to racism so its A Good Thing.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,026
    Pross said:

This is not applicable to the current England squad if you believe Southgate.

He said in an interview they are united about it - the players shared their experience of racism growing up with each other and the whole team and staff are together in the stance.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Same blokes who boo the taking of the knee will be jumping up and down, spilling Carling everywhere when Marcus Rashford scores.

F***1ng hypocrites.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kingstongraham

Pross said:

He said in an interview they are united about it - the players shared their experience of racism growing up with each other and the whole team and staff are together in the stance.
    But without the boos, is it inherently any different to wearing an armband saying "Kick it out"? I like the fact it's a direct confrontation to their "fans".
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,142
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

If the players want to do it and are driving it, then fine as its them making a stand so to speak. If they're being pressured into doing it, then it's pointless.
    I suspect they are to a degree. Even if they agree with the cause but not taking the knee they would be absolutely slaughtered if they didn't do it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345
    One could say the same about Poppies...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    ddraver said:

You get quite a lot of pushback if you call them virtue signalling.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

Pross said:

But without the boos, is it inherently any different to wearing an armband saying "Kick it out"? I like the fact it's a direct confrontation to their "fans".
    Entirely depends what it means to the squad.

I get the impression that the process has been really positive for team building within the squad. It sounds like it was something the whole squad took seriously, sharing stories etc - it is not token to them.

If you look at Rashford's story - these guys haven't had normal upbringings and so whilst white old lads on cycling forums see it as just another gesture, for these guys it can mean everything. I suspect someone like Rashford would much rather the fans cheer for the gesture rather than boo it.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    ddraver said:

A lot of the same people who are booing the knee were absolutely, incandescent with rage when James McClean didn't wear a Poppy. One for the irony thread?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

ddraver said:

A lot of the same people who are booing the knee were absolutely, incandescent with rage when James McClean didn't wear a Poppy. One for the irony thread?

These people are the reason the UK is in such a sorry state.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864

ddraver said:

I think the issue with him was the utter hypocrisy of hating this country so much yet sinking his principles for the lure of ££££. If he had stayed in Ireland and not worn a poppy nobody would give a toss (yes I know) but if he wants to come and live and work here he should try and avoid causing offence.
  • pileyk
    pileyk Posts: 16
    Go back on topic for a sec... I think the only way to solve the 'teenage twitter' problem or general internet shitpost issue is for people to grow a skin and not take offence to any words that are said in such a casual medium. ITS TEH INTERNETZ..

Now if he was doing a formal TV or newspaper interview and made these comments, yeah there should be a consequence. But if he wants to say the same thing on twitter, facef**k or any other internet forum then it really shouldn't matter. The internet is being taking too seriously by too many people.

If I say some overtly offensive comments I may be trolling, I may be serious, I may be just having a laugh, who knows but I should be allowed to say it, at least online, without repercussions. We have become such a pathetic PC society these days.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,345

ddraver said:

I think the issue with him was the utter hypocrisy of hating this country so much yet sinking his principles for the lure of ££££. If he had stayed in Ireland and not worn a poppy nobody would give a toss (yes I know) but if he wants to come and live and work here he should try and avoid causing offence.
    How does he "hate this country"?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,142
    pileyk said:

Go back on topic for a sec... I think the only way to solve the 'teenage twitter' problem or general internet shitpost issue is for people to grow a skin and not take offence to any words that are said in such a casual medium. ITS TEH INTERNETZ..

Now if he was doing a formal TV or newspaper interview and made these comments, yeah there should be a consequence. But if he wants to say the same thing on twitter, facef**k or any other internet forum then it really shouldn't matter. The internet is being taking too seriously by too many people.

If I say some overtly offensive comments I may be trolling, I may be serious, I may be just having a laugh, who knows but I should be allowed to say it, at least online, without repercussions. We have become such a pathetic PC society these days.

Or maybe don't write something in a public medium that you don't actually believe? Have a laugh and joke with friends that understand you and your humour but why put it out to the world at large to view? I've got some sympathy for kids being kids but if you choose to be a d!ck and troll people with comments you know people are likely to find offensive you've made your own bed.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,253
    edited June 2021
    pileyk said:

So we should assume the best of everyone, whilst they make overtly offensive comments.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ben6899 said:

Same blokes who boo the taking of the knee will be jumping up and down, spilling Carling everywhere when Marcus Rashford scores.

F***1ng hypocrites.

I can hear them now:

"effing blm, effing putting their views on us, effing hell. but Lewis Hamilton, yeah, great englishman, best there is"

fukk1gn hypocrites
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • skyblueamateur

ddraver said:

If he'd stayed in his home country and played football he would still be getting paid in £££'s as he's from Derry in NI.

He politely declined wearing a poppy, similar to Nemanja Matijc and then got death threats over it.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,166
    The only thing I learn with threads like these is everybody has their own perspective.
  • skyblueamateur
    FWIW I think McClean is a bit of a d1ck but I don't get the whole moral outrage and witch hunt. The left and right are both guilty of it while branding each other snowflakes and gammons.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2021

I’m often asked why I support Liverpool given I’m a Londoner. The truth is I went to games at my local clubs, Chelsea and Wimbledon as a kid, but when I visited their grounds I was racially abused and my elder brothers even chased away by the National Front.

That led me to support a team I got to know from the safety of my front room, on TV, from the other end of the country.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

FWIW I think McClean is a bit of a d1ck but I don't get the whole moral outrage and witch hunt. The left and right are both guilty of it while branding each other snowflakes and gammons.

I literally had non-issue with McLean, it should be a choice whether to wear one or not.

Surely the war was fought for freedom to protect your rights.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

How does he "hate this country"?
    He thinks it is illegally occupying part of his country hence his refusal to wear a symbol commemorating the deaths of members of the British armed forces.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,834
    edited June 2021

I’m often asked why I support Liverpool given I’m a Londoner. The truth is I went to games at my local clubs, Chelsea and Wimbledon as a kid, but when I visited their grounds I was racially abused and my elder brothers even chased away by the National Front.

That led me to support a team I got to know from the safety of my front room, on TV, from the other end of the country.
    Is his support of Liverpool one for the irony thread?
    And in no way am I condoning what he encountered, but I suspect the same was sadly true at pretty much every club in the country and across Europe at that time.

It will be interesting to see how things develop of the forthcoming matches.
  • rick_chasey
    I guess he didn't visit liverpool fc very much...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    pileyk said:

So you want to be insulated from the consequences of your actions. And yet you think it is everyone else that has gone soft. Well it's a view, I suppose.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,488
    edited June 2021

Is his support of Liverpool one for the irony thread?
    And in no way am I condoning what he encountered, but I suspect the same was sadly true at pretty much every club in the country and across Europe at that time.

It will be interesting to see how things develop of the forthcoming matches.
    Born in 1970. As a kid Chelsea were nobodies and Liverpool dominated Europe.
    Not to dismiss any racist experiences, but, glory hunter.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    elbowloh said:

I literally had non-issue with McLean, it should be a choice whether to wear one or not.

Surely the war was fought for freedom to protect your rights.

That is not the war he is protesting about