Ollie Robinson , suspended

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,589
    Who is this Ollie Robinson, he of the 'never heard of before' ilk? Some sort of willow-waver or somesuch?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    He's a racist sexist bloke who got busted posting racist sexist stuff on his Twitter feed and when suspended for posting racist sexist stuff gammons have protested saying but but but HE'S ENGERLISH ITS A DISGRACE and so they feel aggrieved he's been suspended - not banned - from playing his game.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,948
    The ECB were never going to ignore this without some form of punishment, they simply are not in a position to do so.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/pca-racism-survey-racism-education-to-be-introduced-to-english-cricket-in-wake-of-pca-survey-1249405

If you follow cricket to any degree you will know the ECB were already currently embroiled in a dispute relating to discrimination in the game, look up John Holder. Coupled with the fact that the very morning of the game he was part of a campaign about inclusivity in the game, the embarrasement for the ECB must have been acute. Having to miss a few games was inevitable.
  • MattFalle
  • MattFalle
    basically, you know if johnson the corrupt sexist racist adulterer is protesting against the sexist racist being suspended then you know the ECB did the right thing.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    MattFalle said:

basically, you know if johnson the corrupt sexist racist adulterer is protesting against the sexist racist being suspended then you know the ECB did the right thing.

A tough one indeed BoJo on one side and The Guardian on the other.

Can somebody explain why saying “girls who play video games get more sex” is sexist
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,253

MattFalle said:

Can somebody explain why saying “girls who play video games get more sex” is sexist
    More ill informed than sexist? About half of those tweets just seem to be there to pad it out.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,698
    I bet NZ agree with the decision, seeing he took exactly half of their wickets to fall, in the first test.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • MattFalle

I bet NZ agree with the decision, seeing he took exactly half of their wickets to fall, in the first test.

I honestly don't think you should bring NZ into the sexism debate.....
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

seriously?
  • ilovegrace
    ilovegrace Posts: 677
    Ok, let me make my position a little more clear as I do not think I have.
    I have very little interest on who he is or what he has tweeted.
    With the obvious exception of threats of violence,child abuse etc.
    My issue here is one of "lack of forgiveness ",

Thee ECB have missed a great opportunity here , they did not have to suspend him , they could have made a statement on how social media can effect youngsters in the future . Took Ollie Robinson on board as a reformed social media wrong doer and showed our youth that you can make mistakes learn from them and that we are are a living in a culture of forgiveness.
    I have a teenage daughter who despite our best advise can spout of on line about anything and everything.
    For all of you out there who are backing the ECB you have had a child made in the impression of our Lord,or do not have children
    Like the clothes we wore for our 18th birthday party , looking back "what were we thinking" .
    He who is without sin cast the first stone.
    regards
    ILG

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I think they have to make a stand (temporary for sure) to show that they are investigating seriously.

It sends the right message to the right people:

1) groups of recipients of the tweets (women / POC etc)
    2) kids / supporters etc

That they take the comments seriously and have investigated accordingly and deemed no issue.

A bit like Tory party investigations except it's actually no issue rather than just saying no issue
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,024
    Am I the only one who reads the ECB as the European Central Bank?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Bit of an anomaly. Unless he'd gone down for 4 years any conviction he'd received 10 years ago would be spent as far as his employer is concerned.
    A few stupid tweets gets him suspended though.

• MattFalle

Am I the only one who reads the ECB as the European Central Bank?

yes
  • MattFalle

Bit of an anomaly. Unless he'd gone down for 4 years any conviction he'd received 10 years ago would be spent as far as his employer is concerned.

yup because he's racist and sexist.
  • ballysmate
    Is or was?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,166
    edited June 2021
    What I don't get, is what the hell do people think will happen who post their lives on the internet? He was 19, but surely he realised what he was posting would be considered controversial?

I'm a bit sick of people not taking responsibility for their actions. Akin to the masses buying stuff from Amazon and China, then moaning about tax and human rights. Well guess what, you directly contributed to the situation!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

He would be barred from certain professions though.
  • ballysmate
    webboo said:

Playing cricket?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,253

webboo said:

Playing cricket?
    I guess we'll find out!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021

What I don't get, is what the hell do people think will happen who post their lives on the internet? He was 19, but surely he realised what he was posting would be considered controversial?

I'm a bit sick of people not taking responsibility for their actions. Akin to the masses buying stuff from Amazon and China, then moaning about tax and human rights. Well guess what, you directly contributed to the situation!

You must have been born at 9 months and 35 years, if you expect teenage blokes to weigh up what they say, or think about any consequences.
  • ballysmate
    pangolin said:

webboo said:

Playing cricket?
    I guess we'll find out!
    No we won't because he has no convictions.
    My point was that if he had been convicted of a criminal offence, it would all be over and done with. But a few stupid tweets...
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

MattFalle said:

yup because he's racist and sexist.
    Imagine the stick he'd have got posting on a forum about all the women he'd 'smash'!
    yup - imagine that, eh.

he'd probably get suspended from his job as an England cricketer.

Oh.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

pangolin said:

webboo said:

Playing cricket?
    I guess we'll find out!
    My point was that if he had been convicted of a criminal offence, it would all be over and done with. But a few stupid tweets...
    But it wouldn’t if he had been convicted of a criminal offence. However in his career of choice you can be suspended for bringing the game in to disrepute or the like.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,166

You must have been born at 9 months and 35 years, if you expect teenage blokes to weigh up what they say, or think about any consequences.
    At 19 you should have the sense to know you are posting your thoughts to the World via the internet, especially on a format as twitter where it's obvious the posts aren't deleted.
  • ballysmate

Well for 10 years nobody gave a flying fuck what he posted. People only raked up past tweets when he played his first test match. But like you, I don't get why people feel the need to post their lives on t'intenet.
    Twats seem to tweet on twitter.

As to your second point. Ever bought a bike part on the internet? I wonder what caused the demise of the LBS?

• blazing_saddles

At 19 you should have the sense to know you are posting your thoughts to the World via the internet, especially on a format as twitter where it's obvious the posts aren't deleted.
    Well, lets hope that 10 years from now, sanctimony isn't on the no-no list.
  • ballysmate
    webboo said:

pangolin said:

webboo said:

Playing cricket?
    I guess we'll find out!
    But it wouldn’t if he had been convicted of a criminal offence. However in his career of choice you can be suspended for bringing the game in to disrepute or the like.

Unless you get sent down for more than 4 years your conviction is spent after at the most, 7 years.

So to reiterate, even if 10 years ago he had committed an offence heinous enough to get 3 years in the big house, at this time he wouldn't need to disclose it to his employer.
    But a few tweets made 10 years before being taken on by his present employer, the ECB, gets him a suspension.