Tour de Romandie 2021 *spoliers*

1234568»

Comments

• takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641

Thomas wins his first race since the 2018 Tour.

He'd heard that Pog moved ahead of him in the wins rankings so wanted to draw level again
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231

I think with Thomas and form - we have to take into account he's not really a top favourite for the Tour.

Yes he's a former winner but he's always been a back up to the Sky /Ineos lead rider and he'll be 35 this time round. He's someone that's in there with a chance at the Tour especially if others falter but not someone that I'd expect to crush the opposition and his Romandie showing probably fits with that.

He wasn’t back up for last year’s Giro - where he said he was in the form of his life (Tao GH was fabulous - but conceded G would have been stronger). If he’s at or near his best (and can stay on the bike), Thomas will be tough to shake at the Tour. There’s nearly twice as much ITT in 2021 compared to when he won in 2018: plus he put nearly a minute into Rogliç in 31km TT on 2nd last stage - which is same length as TT on penultimate 2021 stage. Rogliç has form at faltering in TTs after 3 weeks, it seems. Will he (and his team) be comfortable to get to that last TT with only a minimal lead - I doubt it.
    Also - this time, Pogacar comes in as defending champ and joint favourite with Rog. so won’t be able to stealth his way into contention again. Despite a beefed up roster to support him (as much as pro cyclists are ever beefy), Pog hasn’t got a team to match Ineos or TJVisma, either. Despite what Brailsford said about new racing style, I can imagine Ineos bracing themselves in damage limitation mode until 3rd week and seeing who’s left.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    edited May 2021
    We certainly haven't seen Jumbo controlling the climbs with the same dominance as we saw last year. Obviously, Dumoulin isn't there and Kruijswijk has not been at his best thus far.

Ineos have shown greater strength on the climbs, but I can't recall a time when a team has used the QS tactics of overall strength in numbers to win a GT when they perhaps haven't had the strongest individual rider. Maybe Sastre's win, but you sense Ineos would need to do something like that to beat Pogacar and Roglic.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited May 2021
    phreak said:

Ineos have shown greater strength on the climbs, but I can't recall a time when a team has used the QS tactics of overall strength in numbers to win a GT when they perhaps haven't had the strongest individual rider. Maybe Sastre's win, but you sense Ineos would need to do something like that to beat Pogacar and Roglic.

I would also suggest Carapaz's Giro where attention was more on his teammate Landa. But I agree it's not really a tactic that works in GTs. Maybe a one week race where there's fewer key stages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    I'd say that Bernal's tour was strength in numbers. In a GC you'll max have 3 riders well placed to threaten gc by the end of the 2nd week, and that's pretty exceptional. Realistically, if you've got two riders up there then you're doing well and can start to play with tactics.

Jumbo have plenty of mountain firepower with Kuss and Vingegaard, but without Dumoulin may struggle to provide a second threat. Pogacar has no real team but has shown he can surf the Jumbo train to victory. If Ineos can get two riders in play then life could be really tough for Roglic.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    It’s pretty ridiculous that a team can field 2 Giro winners, last year’s Tour podium and a former World Champ in service of an in form previous Tour winner, and we’re still questioning if they’ve got what it takes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Who is questioning whether they've got what it takes?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]