Tour de Romandie 2021 *spoliers*

Comments

• red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,077
    Patrick Bevin is a non-starter today. Clearly cursed by my PTP selection
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    The forecast rubbish weather has arrived to make today’s stage even more dull.
    Tomorrow’s stage has already been altered in an attempt to avoid the forecast snow.
    2 hours earlier for start and tv coverage confirmed by RTS 2
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    This chase is savage, took over a minute back in a few kms!
  • Big chute for Kung on the wet descent, clipped a white line. Seems OK though relatively
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    White lines, don't do it! 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Ouch - Kung touches the white line and down.

And gets back on his bike...
  • Pross
    Big off and slide that, all that hard work in the break for that. Back up though and sometimes the slippery surface is a blessing once you already hit the deck.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Considering how he was launched into the air by that grass bank he hit, it's surprising how well he's apparently bounced back up. Don't think the air bags provided any assistance, but if he'd been a foot to the left he'd have been very thankful for them.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Big off and slide that, all that hard work in the break for that. Back up though and sometimes the slippery surface is a blessing once you already hit the deck.

I think he'll have been grateful for the foam around the lamp post.
  • Pross
    Dennis has been down and is riding half naked.
  • blazing_saddles
    Dennis has crashed too
  • Pross
    Horrible conditions to try to race in.
  • blazing_saddles
    Soler and Izagirre have flown
  • kingstongraham
    Soler takes the lead!
  • Pross
    Soler takes it and possibly the overall. Magnus Cort leads the 'peloton' with Sagan third. Dennis rolls in with the second group losing around 1'25"
  • Pross
    Virtually impossible to tell the Ineos and UAE riders apart in their wet weather kit especially through a rain covered camera lens. I dread to think how CK would have coped.
  • Pross
    I assume from the various comments by Hatch and Smith that tomorrows stage (or finish at least) is under threat from the weather? I can't see Soler holding on with 14 seconds in the final TT.
  • blazing_saddles
    Hopefully tomorrow won’t get screwed by the weather then we’ll see how good Soler is a week out from the Giro.
    Not convinced as yet
  • Pross
    I was thinking the quality of the field was better than some on here were saying. However, when the front group only had 20 people but that included Magnus Cort, Sagan and Colbrelli it suggests there's not much real GT / climbing talent there.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Seems odd that both Sagan and Colbrelli had teammates in the group and yet they didn't close Soler down to go for the stage.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Pross said:

Horrible conditions to try to race in.

Only one DNF, not bad considering the miserable weather (although how many DNSs will there be tomorrow?)
    Froome 19 mins back.
  • jimmyjams
    Pross said:

I was thinking the quality of the field was better than some on here were saying. However, when the front group only had 20 people but that included Magnus Cort, Sagan and Colbrelli it suggests there's not much real GT / climbing talent there.

It was their (the 3 names you state) last chance for a stage win, which would explain their presence – not too hilly a stage compared to yesterday and tomorrow, while all three are riders who can sprint and also cope with moderate climbs.

I'd agree the GC field is better than some have remarked but also say that most are using the race mainly as a warm-up, not something to compete hard for.
  • jimmyjams
    andyp said:

Seems odd that both Sagan and Colbrelli had teammates in the group and yet they didn't close Soler down to go for the stage.

Colbrelli had Caruso (but who'd done his bit for Colbrelli yesterday and wouldn't want to take risks on today's slick roads before the Giro, being one of the few here to be going to the Giro) while Sagan had Keldermann (but who might be saving himself for the last two stages).

I think there were 3 other teams with 2-3 riders in the front bunch, to which one could make the same argument, especially to Ineos (since up to now they appeared to want to keep the leader jersey), and DSM (to make Hirschi GC leader). But maybe Thomas and Porte are thinking the same as Keldermann, while Hirschi is thinking just of tomorrow (maybe why he didn't look his spritely-self today).

Re Hirschi and DSM, DSM still occupy all top three places in the young rider category (took over the top three places after stage 1). That strikes me as unusual. And Van Wilder seems a prospect.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Hirschi is at UAE now.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    What's happening with tomorrow's stage?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I doubt Eurosport will shift schedule ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    Schedule now showing live from 1pm to 2:30 on eurosport 2, 12:30 to 14:50 on the player. Fair play.
  • mididoctors

Schedule now showing live from 1pm to 2:30 on eurosport 2, 12:30 to 14:50 on the player. Fair play.

Squeeze a ride in