Tour de Romandie 2021 *spoliers*

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Tedious - even the sprint was underpowered. Nice finish in the local industrial estate.

Or "an eventful day" if you're commentating on Eurosport.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited April 2021
    Few other options to be fair...

Even the Main Street is one of those that looks like it's got a Red Light District round the back.

Anyone with a bit of cash moves up into the hills. But that obviously makes a different finish to a bike race
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Rather pedestrian sprint .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Hatch turning into Kirby.
    Determined that 122 is not Pat Bevin wearing Pat Bevin’s race number

He did at least correct himself though, Kirby wouldn't do that.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Pross said:

Hatch turning into Kirby.
    Determined that 122 is not Pat Bevin wearing Pat Bevin’s race number

He did at least correct himself though, Kirby wouldn't do that.
    Indeed he did and indeed he wouldn't.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    The following riders did not start today:

Lutsenko Alexey (Astana - Premier Tech)
    Devenyns Dries (Deceuninck - Quick Step)
  • mididoctors
    Good road surfaces in Switzerland. Maybe a tad shinny some places .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    I think the lead commentator (Hatch?) is maybe over-egging the quality of the breakaway a touch...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Hands up if you thought Rein Taaramae had retired
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles

Having a hard job staying awake watching this.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 707

The following riders did not start today:

Lutsenko Alexey (Astana - Premier Tech)
    Devenyns Dries (Deceuninck - Quick Step)

Lutsenko crashed yesterday, nothing broken just bruises and grazes, but apparently said he'd rather recove/regenerate after a hard Spring rather than continue on this week.

Devenyns has a light bronchial problem, so is probably better off out of the damp weather today and forecast for much of the rest of the week/race.
  • jam1e
    Froome does look a bit hefty, maybe doesn't fully explain the decline since last year's TDF build up but it definitely can't be helping.
  • blazing_saddles
    Kuss riding like he’s on an Ineos contract.
  • This is dull. I thought Brailsford wanted exciting racing from now on!? At least throw one of Porte or Thomas on a kamikaze mission over the top of the climb. Please.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I know there are traditionally complaints about Ineos taking decent riders and turning them into high-end mountain domestiques, but there's still something inherently amusing about them managing to do it with Rohan Dennis
  • jam1e
    For why?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

I know there are traditionally complaints about Ineos taking decent riders and turning them into high-end mountain domestiques, but there's still something inherently amusing about them managing to do it with Rohan Dennis

But he was good before Ineos. He was 2nd behind Bernal in the 2019 Tour de Suisse. And he was 7th in the 2018 Giro after 18 stages before Froome ran riot.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    Lack of quality GC riders is the problem not Ineos.

Kuss was stuck to Woods’s wheel like glue.
    Of course it must be Ineos’s fault.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited April 2021
    Anyhow, might Cobrelli actually win a race?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    RichN95. said:

But he was good before Ineos. He was 2nd behind Bernal in the 2019 Tour de Suisse. And he was 7th in the 2018 Giro after 18 stages before Froome ran riot.
    Yeah, I was thinking more of his struggles with Bahrain-Merida's management. He seems to be in a pretty happy place right now.
  • Reckon Bevin would've pipped him if he'd gone right first.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Didn't expect to see Colbrelli there at the finish today. Bevin possibly breaks into the Ineos dominated podium with the bonus seconds?
  • mididoctors
    edited April 2021
    RichN95. said:

Hands up if you thought Rein Taaramae had retired

I.was surprised to hear his name ..also . Sagan would have made that climb pre covid
  • mididoctors
    Well they say money is the new doping
  • mididoctors
    Ineos are not going to boss a three week.stage race with a top shelf field
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    What were UAE's tactics today then, every man for himself? Three riders in the top ten but they never troubled Colbrelli in the slightest.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

Didn't expect to see Colbrelli there at the finish today. Bevin possibly breaks into the Ineos dominated podium with the bonus seconds?

If he can win tomorrow, he takes the lead, doesn't he? 8 seconds back in second now.
  • kingstongraham
    I'm really struggling to be interested in this race, and that doesn't happen often for me.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    andyp said:

What were UAE's tactics today then, every man for himself? Three riders in the top ten but they never troubled Colbrelli in the slightest.

Hirschi. Probably thought Cobrelli had enough men together with Ineos to bring back any attacks.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]