Tour de Romandie 2021 *spoliers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Classic g
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Geraint proves he can crash anywhere anytime
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    Woods nicks yellow
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Not sure what happened there. Maybe unclipped or wheel slide as he made his final kick
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Does not look too
    Hurt hopefully...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Weird one that, like a hand spasm
  • Pross
    Hand slipped changing gear?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Cold, wet hands on slippery hoods.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited May 2021
    I don't even think Gee knows how he did that...

Luke Rowe needs a new TV I suspect, the old one didn't react well to being sprayed with beer 😂🤣
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Did the steward pick his Oakley's up there?
  • Pross
    Assuming no serious damage you would expect him to take 12" back tomorrow. Looked like he had enough to take the stage there though.
  • Pross
    Cort lost nearly 7 minutes in the last 3 or 4k.

G pulled up on the hood as he started sprinting and just lost his grip.
  • blazing_saddles
    Only Soler can TT out of the 3 between an Ineos 1-2 in the GC.

Kruijswijk an impressive almost 6 minutes down on the day
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Twerking!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    The UCI Rider Safety Committee go back to the drawing board to find a safe position.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

Says he’d lost all feeling in his hands. Given the weather and the altitude it’s understandable.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    An interesting day at last :D
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Looked a grim day. Not sure about the commentator's suggestion that Thomas' form is coming on nicely for the Tour. The field here is so weak, with the likes of Soler and Woods sharing 2 GT top 10s between them in their entire career. Surely if Thomas is to challenge Pogacar and Roglic he needs to be comfortably ahead of guys like Woods and Soler?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited May 2021
    He rode away from at least three other gt podium finishers yesterday. Not a stellar field, and not really a tour de France day, but he's coming into form.
  • blazing_saddles
    phreak said:

Looked a grim day. Not sure about the commentator's suggestion that Thomas' form is coming on nicely for the Tour. The field here is so weak, with the likes of Soler and Woods sharing 2 GT top 10s between them in their entire career. Surely if Thomas is to challenge Pogacar and Roglic he needs to be comfortably ahead of guys like Woods and Soler?

For a rider aiming to peak for the Tour, winning Romandie has generally been accepted as a sign of good level of form, two months ahead of the Grande Depart.

As for quality of field, I didn't hear anybody highlighting this "fact", when Chris Froome's main rival was usually Simon Spilak.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Yes if he wins it it's hard to use that to argue he's not where he needs to be.

Thoughts on neutralising the descent? If they are going to do that they need to reset the gap rather than give the break an additional 2 minutes. It did appear to be an unnecessary intervention anyway but I guess visibility can change and they need to make the call a little time in advance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    Geraint and Ritchie - they really are riders the face-palm emoji was invented for... The Chuckle Brothers of the peloton. I don't want to see anyone hurt, but Porte to fall off the start ramp today?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The other consideration with regards to saying this is a weak field and G should be riding away, where are his main rivals racing now and what is their form like?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 777
    webboo said:

Pross said:

Says he’d lost all feeling in his hands. Given the weather and the altitude it’s understandable.
    If I'd have been Thomas, with freezing hands and in slippy-wet conditions, I would have ran to the line, not tried to re-mount and maybe fall again (as he came close to doing when re-mounting).

At least today is forecast to be dry for him – and one hopes it stays dry otherwise the cobbled ramp near the beginning could cause some riders problems.
  • jimmyjams

Yes if he wins it it's hard to use that to argue he's not where he needs to be.

Thoughts on neutralising the descent? If they are going to do that they need to reset the gap rather than give the break an additional 2 minutes. It did appear to be an unnecessary intervention anyway but I guess visibility can change and they need to make the call a little time in advance.

I wonder if anyone really knows what advantage the break was given.
    At the time, the ticker I was following said the break had been given 35 secs; the post-race report said it had turned out to be 1 min 10 secs.
    The whole timing system seemed to go a bit haywire perhaps due to the weather conditions. One could see that on the screen when Cort was away, one moment the gap was given as 3 mins, mini-seconds later at 3-30. Later again, the time gaps were often missing, so clearly something was up with the system.
  • jimmyjams
    The stage today is at Fribourg, a region known for its fruit tarts, some mixed with savoury food (e.g. pears with Gruyere and bacon), however perhaps the most popular is Gâteau du Vully.
    Its topping is very similar to Alsace's Tarte Flambee (onion, bacon bits, fromage blanc and creme fraiche), however it is made on a thicker pizza-dough base and additionally liberally sprinkled with coarse salt and caraway seed.
    (Vully is a mountain 10 kms N of Fribourg)

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

He rode away from at least three other gt podium finishers yesterday. Not a stellar field, and not really a tour de France day, but he's coming into form.

Who are we talking about here? Porte who is on his own team, Kelderman who podiumed in what was an entertaining but generally quite weak Giro field, and?

I'm not suggesting for one minute that he won't be in the final selection and barring accidents will surely be top 10, and quite possibly top 5, but has he shown anything this year to suggest he's on the level of Pogacar and Roglic?

It was a similar field in Catalunya when Ineos got 1-2-3, and yet in Tirreno Thomas was 17 minutes behind Pogacar.

For a rider aiming to peak for the Tour, winning Romandie has generally been accepted as a sign of good level of form, two months ahead of the Grande Depart.

As for quality of field, I didn't hear anybody highlighting this "fact", when Chris Froome's main rival was usually Simon Spilak.

The only year Froome won Romandie and went on to do well in the Tour was in 2013, where he also won Oman and the Criterium International and was 2nd in Tirreno before Romandie started. In Tirreno that year he lost out to Nibali but beat Contador, which was a more reliable indicator of his form than beating Spilak in Romandie.

Thomas has been low down in some chippers, way off the pace in Tirreno, got the podium in an Ineos precession in Catalunya and is now up there against 2nd rank opposition in Romandie that has one rider from last year's Tour that isn't on Thomas' team, and the fact that Soler is the designated leader rather than Lopez shows where he currently is in terms of form.
  • blazing_saddles
    Ganna bad or holding back for next weekend? Cavanga definitely went all in and leads.
    Rain is beginning to fall.....
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Is Gee currently having aero stabilisers added to his bike then? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo